change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Melanie_Putra's Profile Photo

Online Seat Reservation w JR Hokkaido

Hokkaido Jan 28, 2016 at 3:18 AM

I have a question regarding online seat reservation for JR Hokkaido..

I know there is an English language online seat reservation site. What I need to know is at which point is the payment made?
      1. Upon reservation my credit card will be charged for both the reserved seat fee and train ticket? Or,
      2. I pay the total amount at the point of receiving the ticket + the reserved seat at the JR Midori No Madoguchi? If here, can I pay with cash?

Tq, Mel

more

Tambou or Rikyu for beef tongue in Sapporo?

Sapporo Jan 18, 2016 at 6:34 AM

We will be in Sapporo for a couple of nights. Now I am compiling restaurant list. Besides the crab and seafood I also want to eat grilled beef tongue which I totally love. I usually eat at Negishi whenever I'm in Tokyo. My research of Sapporo unearthed two places, Tambou and Rykyu. I know at least that Rikyu originated from Sendai and they have branches in Tokyo too but I've yet to try them out. Would anyone be able to recommend which of the two is better? Or even another place for beef tongue?

Tq, Melanie

more
    • crewrower's Profile Photo

Advice for 4 days in Tokyo with a 4 year old

Tokyo Feb 2, 2016 at 3:47 AM

Hi - arriving in Tokyo Sunday Feb 7th at 330pm (Narita), departing late Thursday afternoon on Feb 11th. With 4 days, what to do? We live in a big city as it is, so was thinking of mostly skipping Tokyo and going straight to Hakone and spending the first 3 of the 4 total nights there (last night in Tokyo). Happy to hear other suggestions (though ideally you'll be familiar with Hakone and can take that knowledge into consideration if suggesting other itineraries -- but appreciate all thoughts).

My son even though only 4 is a veteran and easy traveler.

more
    • Onbashira Festival

Nagano Jan 19, 2016 at 5:20 PM

I'm going to be in Japan for a couple weeks in April, and I want to attend the Onbashira festival while i'm there. I only have enough time to stay in Nagano for 1 day, and I only want to see the part of the festival where they ride the logs down the hills. I can arrange to be there on either April 8, 9, 10 -- does anyone know which day I should choose so that I would be able to see them ride the logs? I can't seem to find a detailed schedule of the festival anywhere online, so I would really appreciate your help. Thanks!

more
    • crewrower's Profile Photo

Help on getting to Hakone and around from Narita (Feb 7 -11)

Hakone Feb 2, 2016 at 2:06 AM

Please advise.

Until 2 hours ago, I had never heard of Hakone. Now I'm seriously thinking of going with my 4 year old. We'll arrive at Narita on Feb 7th (Sunday) at 3:25pm.

Getting to Hakone from Narita: take the train to Tokyo station, then to Shinjuku station. At Shinjuku station, purchase the "Hakone Freepass", which includes (for an extra fee that can be paid at the same time?) Odakuyu Romancecar to Hakone-Yumoto station).

I plan on getting the 3 day pass, which also takes care of all transportation in Hakone and the ride back to Shinjuku.

I'd appreciate any knowledgeable advice or tips. I saw something that the Odakuyu Romance car requires an advance online reservation?

Will we be able to make it to Hakone -- i.e. does all transport operation normally on Sunday?

more
    • Where can I purchase winter boots near Nagano train station?

Nagano Jan 28, 2016 at 7:50 AM

Hello,
      I was hoping for some advice on where I can locate a good pair or non-slip winter boots or crampons within walking distance of Nagano station or near Jigokudani Monkey Park. My family and I will be visiting the Jigokudani Monkey Park. It is my understanding that the walk to the viewing area is sloped and possibly a little slippery. Any advice or information would be much appreciated.
      Thank you in advance for you time and assistance.

more

Tokyo Banana at New Chitose Airport?

Chitose Jan 18, 2016 at 9:11 AM

Can I buy Tokyo Banana at New Chitose Airport? If yes, whereabouts in the airport? How early does the shop open?

Tq, Mel

more
    • Touring in Nikko

Nikko Jan 27, 2016 at 8:37 PM

I am traveling to Japan in April and I plan to visit Nikko for one day, I have 2 children under 3 years old so is it better to rent a car or go by bus to the lakes and waterfall??!

more
    • lunaachan's Profile Photo

7 days in Tokyo; train tips, get a suica card or JR pass?

Tokyo Jan 13, 2016 at 3:54 PM

My family and I are going to Tokyo for the first time in a few weeks and we're wondering which one to get so we won't have to fuss around the ticket machines everytime. Furthermore, we're worrying about getting lost because everyone who's gone there seems to get confused a lot because there are a lot of trains. So if you have any tips or advice that would be very helpful >.

These are the places we want to go to (which pass would suit best for our trip? And would they cover everywhere we want to go to?)

Shinjuku
      Shibuya
      Harajuku
      Omotesando
      Ikebukuro
      Odaiba
      Asakusa
      Akasaka
      Tokyo station area
      Yokohama
      Disney Sea

more
    • tranceperent's Profile Photo

need help with location to stay

Okinawa Jan 11, 2016 at 3:22 AM

Hi, my wife, my daughter 4 year old and myself are planning for a 5 night trip to okinawa on the 2nd week of may. i want to know few things.
      1. is it a good season to visit the place? as in, is it a typhoon season from 9th-15th may 2016?
      2. which place we should stay in, we need to go to the beach everyday to swim (not necessary snorkel). we arent picky about hotels, though it is not a problem. should we stay in naha or one of the far away places up north. our flight is from tokyo to naha, so cant plan for another island. also preferred if the hotel is either near the monorail station or some stores/restaurants, since we dont prefer to eat in any hotel's limited restaurant choices.

any recommendation highly appreciated.

more
    • Jasma's Profile Photo

Trains in Japan

Japan Jan 25, 2016 at 3:40 AM

We are planning to visit Japan around mid April this year and wondering if the rail passes are useful and economic. We would like to see Tokyo, Osaka and Hiroshima.

more

Luggage rack on JR Hokkaido's Ltd Exp Ozora & Tokachi

Hokkaido Jan 14, 2016 at 5:09 PM

Hi,

We are catching both the Ltd Exp Tokachi and Ozora between Sapporo and Shintoku Stations.

Can I find out if these trains have luggage racks near the front/rear of the carriages?

Thanks,
      Mel

more
    • Japan Visa or No Visa for Filipino ?

Japan Jan 5, 2016 at 9:30 PM

Hello! Im a Filipino passport holder and planning to visit Japan for 4-5 Days. Do I need to apply for Visa?

more
    • i need travel agency

Okinawa Feb 1, 2016 at 6:08 PM

i will travel to okinawa for a week. the problem is i dont have driving licence so i think i should have a travel guide to bring me along the island.. or any suggestions? and where can i book a travel agency/guide?

more
    • Dabs's Profile Photo

Help with Tokyo, leaving soon

Tokyo Jan 10, 2016 at 8:34 AM

We are stopping in Tokyo later this month on a layover on our way to Singapore. I've got a hotel booked, as suggested in responses in my earlier post, in Asakusa although all of the hotels you suggested were fully booked so I found a different hotel in the same area. We are flying into Narita at 8:30pm Saturday after a long international flight so I think we will head to the hotel and go to sleep. We will have all day Sunday and then fly out 6:05pm on Monday so 1 1/2 days in total for some sightseeing.

1) airport to hotel, I think I'm between several metro station and someone suggested the skyliner and then transfer to the metro for one stop

2) sightseeing, my short list has the Imperial Palace, Senso-ji Temple and the Edo Tokyo Museum. There's a fish market that looked interesting but it's early morning, maybe Monday. Anything else that I should really make a point of seeing? Not interested in shopping, I like architecture, I like gardens but will they still be nice to visit in January?

3) dining, any place around the Asakusa area for dinner? Nothing high end and nothing that my Western tastebuds would be horrified by. :-)

Thanks for any help, I've not had time to do much planning and now I'm panicking a bit!!!

more

Popular Nagasaki-ken Travel Answer Locations

• Taxi-to-Oura-Catholic-Church?

Nagasaki Jan 18, 2015 at 7:00 AM

Hi.I-have-a-leg-issue-so-neen-to-know-how-much-a-taxi-will-cost-from-Hotel-Forza-to-Oura-Catholic-Church?

3 Answers Mar 10, 2015 at 6:40 AM
    • Burg300's Profile Photo

Electronics in Nagasaki

Nagasaki Mar 25, 2014 at 5:34 PM

Is there a good electronics store near the cruse port to purchase electronics like iPads or tablets?

1 Answer Mar 27, 2014 at 9:08 AM
    • fun things

Sasebo Feb 1, 2014 at 8:35 PM

whatsi there fun to do in sasebo, japan?

7 Answers Feb 6, 2014 at 5:11 AM
    • Japanese called Chomp-own

Sasebo Jan 13, 2014 at 8:43 AM

I was there in1971. in town ( they called it Paredise alley) they had a soup called CHOMPOWN chomp--own. cant find it anymore anywhere. the spelling is probably spelled wrong, but had noodles beansprouts octopus like a lettuce and bacon or pork with an egg blended in. has anybody heard of this an what are the ingredience?i was told then that it was a southern Japanese soup.

4 Answers Jan 13, 2014 at 1:36 PM
    • MaritzaD's Profile Photo

What's the weather like?

Nagasaki Jan 13, 2014 at 1:44 AM

What is the weather like from January-December? I'm thinking about studying abroad during my junior year of college. It would be really helpful to know :)

4 Answers Jan 13, 2014 at 9:01 AM
    • michael89's Profile Photo

Hashima Island

Nagasaki Oct 2, 2013 at 2:10 AM

Is it possible to visit the ghost town on the Hashima Island (the location set for Skyfall and Inception movie)?

3 Answers Oct 3, 2013 at 4:55 AM
    • Money

Nagasaki-ken Jan 17, 2013 at 10:56 AM

Do they accept US dollars in Nagasaki

5 Answers Jan 18, 2013 at 7:50 AM
    • Grevil's Profile Photo

Cruise Ship visit to Nagasaki

Nagasaki Mar 27, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Hello, We will visit Nagasaki by ship, and was wondering if the cruise ship terminal is very far from the city centre of Nagasaki.
      Are there interesting things to see by walking around near the port, or would a "city sights" type tour organised by the ship be recommended?
      Also, if there are several tours to choose from, what would be the top 2 sights we should see on a visit to Nagasaki?

4 Answers Apr 1, 2012 at 3:29 AM
    • Hotel Bookings

Unzen-dake Mar 3, 2012 at 11:47 AM

I am having trouble booking a hotel in Unzen for November 5, 2012. The web booking pages do not seem to provide availability information beyond September 30, 2012. Any suggestions?

5 Answers Mar 4, 2012 at 11:51 AM
    • bars of old sasebo

Sasebo Feb 14, 2012 at 3:43 PM

I was in sasebo in 1968-69, is there still a bar called three Ace's and was it on the corner of the block and a block or two from paradise alley. I would like to get a hold of someone that lives in sasebo that we could exchange e-mails.

• Sasebo

Sasebo Jan 16, 2012 at 6:32 AM

Hi!

I would like to go to Sasebo for 3 days and spend a night in Huis Ten Bosch.

I searched for the these hotels homepage in Huis Ten Bosch, but failed. Every time I click it, room reservation on various websites.

I need the e-mail contact address of these hotels. Anyone knows it?

1. Hotel Okura JR Huis Ten Bosch
      2. Hotel Nikko Huis Ten Bosch
      3. Hotel Europe Nagasaki

Thanks

2 Answers Jan 22, 2012 at 9:50 AM
    • NEED HELP!!!

Sasebo Dec 11, 2011 at 6:36 PM

WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO GET FROM SASEBO TO YOKOSUKA JAPAN????

8 Answers Dec 12, 2011 at 4:57 PM
    • Directions needed

Nagasaki Sep 17, 2011 at 5:43 PM

Can someone please send me the directions on how to get to the War museum and Peace Park from the international shipping terminal at Nagasaki? There are six of us on a cruise and we would like to do this tour on our own rather than with a large group. EG what trains etc to catch.
      Many thanks in advance for your help. Cathy

5 Answers Sep 17, 2011 at 10:11 PM
    • nagasaki

Nagasaki-ken Aug 30, 2011 at 4:30 AM

Hi!
      I'm planning to visit Nagasaki soon.

Kindly help me with these questions. Thanks.

a) Is there any HSBC bank in Nagasaki?
      b) How's the weather is like in Nagasaki between October- January?
      c) Will there be snow?
      d) Is there any public transport that I can take from Fukuoka International
      Airport to Nagasaki directly?
      e) How's the daily expenses in Nagasaki ( lodging/ transportation/ food)? Is
      USD30 sufficient for a day?

2 Answers Aug 31, 2011 at 5:17 AM
    • tathraman's Profile Photo

Train excursions from Nagasaki

Nagasaki Jan 1, 2011 at 1:30 PM

Our cruise ship visits Nagasaki March 28. We were there last year and have toured the city. This time we'd like to take a train ride to a town or village within say, 100 km radius where we might see Japanese life from another perspective - also hopefully blossoms.
      Any advice will be much appreciated.
      Thanks
      David

3 Answers Jan 3, 2011 at 5:43 PM
    • What international airport is closest to Sasebo ?

Sasebo Aug 3, 2010 at 5:39 PM

Would like to visit Sasebo but I'm curious as to what airport/airline is best to fly into from USA/Calif/San Diego ?
      Thank You

3 Answers Aug 10, 2010 at 8:36 PM
    • gemstones and tea sets

Sasebo Apr 18, 2010 at 7:07 PM

I am looking for stores that sell these items. Any suggestions? I am in the Huis Ten Bosch area.

Aragoto go zais mas

• where I can buy the toys, scale model and Action figure in Nagasaki and Fukuoka?

Nagasaki Apr 7, 2010 at 12:10 AM

i intend to visit Nagasaki(長崎) and Fukuoka(福岡) next month. I would like to know where I can buy the toys, scale model and Action figure like Akihabara-eki, Tokyo (東京秋葉原) and Denden Town, Osaka( 大阪)? Please help, Thank you very much.

• Nagasaki to Osaka

Nagasaki Feb 12, 2010 at 2:04 PM

We will leave Nagasaki and travel to Hakata/Fukuoma and take the bullet train to Osaka. When we transfer from the Ltd. Exp. Kamome train to the Shinkansen Nozomi are these in the same station or how do I get from one area to the other? Also, will I be able to buy just one ticket from Nagasaki that will take me through to Osaka or will I need to purchase another ticket in Hakata? Boy do I feel stupid. Thank you

1 Answer Feb 12, 2010 at 2:40 PM
    • ANA Hotel Nagasaki Gloverhill

Nagasaki Feb 12, 2010 at 1:49 PM

Am arriving at Nagasaki Airport -- besides taxi, how can I get to the hotel. Do I take a bus from airport? Which one? Where would I get off? If I need to take taxi from bus station -- how much should I expect to pay. There are 10 of us traveling together. Please help -- am not that familiar with Japan and bus travel. Thank you

• taxi in sasebo

Sasebo Mar 22, 2009 at 6:11 PM

How late do the taxis run at Haiki station in Sasebo. I'll be getting in around 10:30pm and need to get to Hario Base.

• Advice needed

Nagasaki Feb 27, 2008 at 10:31 PM

hello fellow vt-ers,

will be doing a short trip starting from fukuoka, then proceeding on to nagasaki, kumamoto, mt aso, beppu before taking the overnight ferry to osaka/kyoto/tokyo. May i know what is the temperature like, which city is the coldest or warmest in the abovementioned list? will be travelling with a 2.5yr toddler, any advise? thanks!

1 Answer Mar 14, 2008 at 3:46 AM
    • porklet's Profile Photo

weather in april

Nagasaki Feb 26, 2008 at 1:40 AM

hi

would like to find out what is the weather/temperature like in april? is it cool? rainy? windy? thanks!

1 Answer Feb 26, 2008 at 3:35 AM
    • parking mechanism in parking lot near the port

Nagasaki Jan 12, 2008 at 11:27 AM

Hi, while I was walking back to the port where our cruise ship was docked, I noticed a small park near the harbour with a small parking lot. There was a metal leaf with a small box next to it (I believe it is a motor) in the middle of each parking slot. I saw a driver backup to the parking spot and the metal leaf would rise to stop the car from pulling away. I am not sure when did the leaf risen. I think the driver had to go to the stand next to the entrance to punch in his or her parking slot number and pay a fee before the leaf came down.

I am not really sure how this work, but it fascinates me.

Does anybody can tell me how this mechanism works??

1 Answer Jan 28, 2008 at 5:30 AM
    • disasterman1958's Profile Photo

Information on ferry to/from Shimabara

Nagasaki-ken Oct 30, 2007 at 12:17 AM

Can anyone tell me what the schedules are like traveling from either Misumi or Kumamoto to Shimabara? I am traveling by train and wonder which is easier - to depart for Shimabara from Kumamoto port or to take the train on to Misumi. Logistically, which is easier and how often do ferries run? Thanks so much for any help!

• dlandt's Profile Photo

What city to stay in?

Nagasaki Oct 18, 2007 at 11:59 AM

I apologize for the multiple postings, but my wife and I will be travelling in Kyushu with our two year old daughter. We have friends in Kumamoto and will be spending the bulk of our time there, but would also like to spend 1-2 nights in another location. Nagasaki and Beppu are the two places which occur to me, but we are open to others. Does anyone else have a good idea, we go for both relaxation and sightseeing.

• Westerner Bar

Sasebo Apr 21, 2007 at 7:09 PM

I was in Sasebo back in 1973-75.Is there still a bar called the Westener in sailor town?There was also a place called Three Ace's that had the best fried rice I ever ate. Thanks Mac

2 Answers Jan 3, 2015 at 2:14 PM
    • PavlH's Profile Photo

Things to do in one day

Nagasaki Aug 11, 2006 at 1:27 AM

Hi,
      Will be in Nagasaki for about 7 hours - will be docked at the port so close to the tram and the city centre.
      Would like suggestions for things to see and do and places to eat (Japanese food, not western).
      Obviously will be visiting the Peace Park/memorial.
      Is there somewhere close to the port where I can get a one day tram pass?
      Is the cable car ride up the mountain worth it for the view?

Thanks.

2 Answers Aug 14, 2006 at 3:25 AM
    • about the PULSE SHOCK CLUB

Sasebo Aug 8, 2006 at 8:07 AM

is the pulse shock club also a dance club too? cuz u sed there were DJs n stuff, so is it lyke a dance club too then? if so, wat kinda music do they play there, n r 18 yr. olds aloud to go there too? please get back at me on that because im trying to look for a dance night club thing around here along with a bar n all.....

• Transportation & Acccomodations

Nagasaki Jun 17, 2006 at 10:44 PM

Do you know any Ryokan orMinshuku close to the Kwassui women's college, Nagasaki?

1 Answer Jun 18, 2006 at 6:21 AM