Nagano Travel Answers

change location

Tsumago/Magome

by AyameWood Online Now Feb 1, 2013 at 10:22 AM

My husband & I would like to spend a few nights in the Tsumago/Magome area en route from Kyoto to Tokyo at the end of May. Any suggestions of places to stay, eat and things do for a reasonable price (we plan to hike the trail between the two towns)? We are very open minded, flexible and are seeking a peaceful, traditional experience to end our rather whirlwind trip. We are also open to any suggestions of alternative places to go between K&T which would have an old Japan feel with a possibility for a hike in the countryside. All responses a very much appreciated.

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Yoshachoo's Profile Photo

Re: Tsumago/Magome

by Yoshachoo Online Now Feb 3, 2013 at 1:21 AM

I'm not familiar with the area. But I found a couple of very useful pdf files in English.
    kiso-magome.com/image2/map/m...
    kiso-magome.com/image2/map/n...

Unfortunately I don't see any English pages provided by the above site or any site introducing the Tsumago-Magome area.

A few days may be too much in the area because a hike between the two towns only takes a few hours and both towns are very small without many attractions.

And I believe the area is as traditional as it gets between Kyoto and Tokyo if you travel by way of JR Chuo Line.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines