Nafplio Travel Answers

change location

Sensibility of Itinerary

by oldentrance2 Online Now Oct 25, 2009 at 9:12 PM

Hello Wise Ones,
Thank you for your assistance. May I now present my itinerary for your opinions?

April 1 - Athens to Nafplio - by bus

April 1,2,3,4 - 3 days/4 nights in Nafplio (hotel booked) - touring by bus

April 5 - Rent Car in Nafplio - drive coast to Monemvasia, spend 1 night

April 6 - Explore Monemvasia and Dirou Caves, drive north to Mystras, spend 1 night

April 7 - Drive east to Koroni, Methoni and Pylos, spend 1 or 2 nights

Drive North to Stemnitsa, Dimitsana, spend 1 or 2 nights

I'm thinking of staying somewhere closer to AThens the last night so our drive isn't long/stressful. Any ideas?

April 11th - Drive to Athens Airport, drop off rental car there. Flight leaves Athens at 1:30 pm, Sunday

I didn't plan on booking accommodations anywhere 'til we get there (other than Nafplio) using a mobile phone.

There will be 2 drivers to help with that task. Is this itinerary overdoing it?

I appreciate all advice. Sincerely, Carol

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • StefanosS's Profile Photo

Re: Sensibility of Itinerary

by StefanosS Online Now Oct 25, 2009 at 11:05 PM

Dear Carol,
    Here is my comments:

April 6: From Monemvasia drive to Sparti, visit Mystras, overnight Sparti or (better option) Gythio.
    April 7: Areopoli, Dyros caves, Gerolimenas, Vathia, overnight Areopoli or Oitylo or Kardamyli.
    April 8: continue to Kalamata etc.

- "Explore Monemvasia and Dirou Caves, drive north to Mystras, spend 1 night", this can not be done in 1 day.

- Check carefully visiting hours of Mystras and Dyros Caves.

Furthermore, I copy from
    http://www.answers.com/topic/arcadia
    (as I wrote you before) :

On July 27 (2007), a wildfire broke out in Gortynia in the western portion, threatening several nearby villages and burning a small portion of the forested area. Less than a month later, another minor forest fire occurred near Tropaia, on Thursday August 23. A day later, the minor fire became a major blaze beginning in the southwest of Arcadia Soulos. Arson-related fires spread and burned villages including Chrousa, Leontari, Vasta, Tourkoleka, Dirahi, near Megalopoli, Makryssi and Anavryto, and burned around 5% of the prefecture and the southwestern portion. The fire raging in the southern Ilia prefecture spread into Arcadia, and began to burn Atsicholos and the area around Karytaina. Residents prevented the fire from entering Megalopoli, Karytaina, and its surrounding area by chopping down trees, preventing it from entering the village; helicopters received water from Lake Taka and the sea. The fires continued from Friday August 24, with high winds and hot temperatures reported at 42°C; the outbreaks slowed three days later but progressed on Tuesday August 27. The blazes finally died down when temperatures dropped and a low pressure system from southern Europe brought rain into the area; roads had been closed and electricity cut off for several days. At the extinguishing of the fire, hundreds of mobile homes were sent to inhabitants who had lost houses. Trees and a number of groves are to be planted, but it is expected to take a few years to restore part of the area's natural beauty and forest. Less seriously for the area, Kynouria experienced weather problems in the winter, with a snowstorm affecting Leonidi and the village of Agios Petros on February 10, 2008.

(The description above covers only Prefecture of Arkadia. Prefectures of Ilia and Messinia had also big damages.)

Check also:
    guardian.co.uk/world/2007/au...

(...)
    Firefighters from 17 countries have been drafted in to help, with a group of 55 from Israel tackling one of the biggest fronts - in Krestena, near Ancient Olympia.

(...)

According to conservative estimates, 110 villages have been razed, 2.5m hectares (6.2m acres) of farmland consumed and vast tracts of pine forest and olive grove incinerated.

Much of Arcadia - a prime tourist attraction in the central Peloponnese - has been left a moonscape. Thousands of rural Greeks fear financial ruin.

- - - - -

About 50 victims (I don't remember the exact number) were burned to death.

I have photos of this disaster (early September 2007), sent to me by a friend on that time, and I can share them with you, if you wish. You have to verify if it is still a good idea to travel in this area. IMO, it will be a rather sad epilogue of your great vacations in Peloponnese.

Stefanos

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Fire Damage - Peloponnese

by oldentrance2 Online Now Oct 28, 2009 at 1:33 PM

Dear Jan, Thanks for your advise, I did post to Trip Advisor and received helpful advice (was advised that this area is still very beautiful).
    Regarding our stay in Nafplio w/o a car. I can't find information on getting to the archaeological sites near Nafplio. Are there regular buses? Or will we have to taxi it? Thank you, Carol

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines