Nafplio Travel Answers

change location
mavl's Profile Photo

athens-mycenae-nafplio

by mavl Online Now May 3, 2007 at 11:17 AM

hello,

the LP guidebook says buses from athens to nafplio don't really stop at mycenae, they stop at fihtio (3 km away from the village of mycenae which is in turn 2km away from ancient mycenae). if this is so, how do i get from fihtio to ancient mycenae? is there any form of public transport for this?

also, it says there are 3 buses daily from mycenae to nafplio. would anyone know what time these buses leave?

btw, is half a day enough to see ancient mycenae?

thanks a lot,
miko

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Re: athens-mycenae-nafplio

by iwearconverse Online Now Apr 6, 2008 at 1:58 PM

the bus actually does go to the site of mycenae and the modern village of mikines twice a day. i believe they arrive in the village at 11 and 3, in front of La Belle Helene (one of the small hotels in the village, and one where you're most likely to find a room on the spur of the moment, unless there's a large German tour group taking the place over). These are the two buses that actually go to Nafplio. The bus stops in Fichtia about once an hour to hour and a half, in front of the main kafenia in the village turn-around. There's really no way to get to Mikines from Fichtia except to walk or hire a cab. Also, the guidebooks may tell you there's a train opening, but that's false. The train stops at Corinth, and won't open for another several years. The people in the kafenia can call you one. I wouldn't try to walk to the site of Mycenae from the village, especially during the day, unless you're interested in a pretty strenuous hike. A half day would be fine if you're just there to see it, but you may run into a bus-timing problem. The village is lovely, though, regardless of what the guidebooks say. I've worked at Mycenae for two summers now, and I love the village.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines