Nadi Travel Answers

change location

Worried Big Sister

by cocoleebrown Online Now Jan 14, 2012 at 6:54 PM

My little sister is going to be travelling solo to the town of Nadi where she will be volunteering at the Treasure House for a month.
I am concerned for her safety as I have heard that there are plenty of dangers to look out for in this town.
If anyone knows someone or has personally experienced working/ living/ volunteering in fiji, could you please advise me of safe towns for self contained accommodation, shuttle buses and just your overall experience of volunteering in fiji.
Any feed back would be extremely helpful.

Many Thanks C x

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • hawkhead's Profile Photo

Re: Worried Big Sister

by hawkhead Online Now Jan 14, 2012 at 7:07 PM

How old is said little sister?

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • stevemt's Profile Photo

by stevemt Online Now Jan 14, 2012 at 11:20 PM

And where is she travellng from and on what passport?

• Re: Worried Big Sister

by osehrler Online Now Jan 15, 2012 at 6:24 AM

There really are no other places close to Nadi - Nadi is after all the capital. Why has the Treasure House not arranged accommodation and transport for her? Most volunteer organisations take care of that for their people. Nadi has changed considerably since I did a six month stint there while working, and even back then it was a place to keep doors locked and not to flaunt wealth. She may be better to look for a bed and breakfast type accommodation as getting a flat for a month is not feasible.

Most of the beach resorts are along the coast and costs and transport would be too high for a volunteer to consider living down there and commuting.

• Odinnthor's Profile Photo

by Odinnthor Online Now Jan 15, 2012 at 9:35 AM

OK, just to clarify, - Nadi is not the capital, - that would be Suva, and yes Suva is and has become a very different place since I first went to Fiji. Not a good place for a young girl at night.

Nadi however, is a lot smaller town and it is where the main airport is located. The resorts are but a short distance away on Denarau Island, which is not really an island at all. Nadi is not Suva by a long shot, and I would simply use the same precautions as you, or she would use anywhere.

When she flies in, the Treasure House is pretty close by, so should be easy to get there from the airport, and Denarau is even closer. Here is a simple local map of the area.

fiji.maps-pacific.com/nadi-m...

It is understandable that you worry about your little sister, but I would not fret too much about the place. I assume she is "of age" even though she is still your "little sister". Just be glad she is not going to live and work in Suva. No worries, Suva is on the "other side" of the island.

1 member found this helpful

by osehrler Online Now Jan 16, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Cripes I must have had too much wine last night confusing Nadi and Suva - apologies. Nadi is much nicer than Suva.

• Odinnthor's Profile Photo

by Odinnthor Online Now Jan 16, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Wine is good.....d:o)

by Fijiana Online Now Jan 18, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Nadi is not the capital.