Nadi Travel Answers

change location
YoTravel's Profile Photo

Bring food in the suitcase

by YoTravel Online Now Jan 23, 2011 at 3:12 AM

My husband and I will be traveling with our two young daughters to Fiji in a couple of months time. I plan to bring their favorite snacks and treats in the suitcase. How strict is the custom at the airport? Would they allow raisins, crisps and such? Thanks.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • nada1712's Profile Photo

Re: Bring food in the suitcase

by nada1712 Online Now Jan 23, 2011 at 12:14 PM

Alot of food is restricted on entry to Fiji. I certainly would not take in any of the products you mentioned. Have a look at the Fiji High Commissions' site in the UK www.fijihighcommission.org.uk and find travel advice for visitors. It will have something about quarantine and declaration of food. It is after all an island and they can protect their environment.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Kakapo2's Profile Photo

Re: Bring food in the suitcase

by Kakapo2 Online Now Jan 23, 2011 at 5:00 PM

As long as the snacks and treats are chocolate, cookies, biscuits, gummi bears etc. there is no problem at all. Not sure about the raisins if they are not part of a muesli bar.

Like in other countries, like New Zealand and Australia, Fiji is trying to avoid the introduction of foreign plant and animal pests and diseases. So you cannot import any vegetable matter, seeds, or any animal product without a permit from the Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forests. Do not bring dried meat etc. They go ballistic if you bring in fresh fruit from the airplane, for example.

At the check point always declare the food you have in your bags, even it is food which is allowed.

This page might be of interest for you:

fijime.com/index.php/fijime/...

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines