Nadi Travel Answers

change location
lbeck's Profile Photo

Where's a good place to stay as a "base camp"

by lbeck Online Now Dec 20, 2007 at 7:53 AM

My wife and I will be traveling to Nadi for 4 days and 3 nights. When I planned the trip to Fiji as an add-on to out Australia/NZ cruise I knew little more than it was a tropical island. I've been to Hawaii twice and expected similarities. I've come to find that they are very different.

First, it appears from what I have read on other forums that Viti Levu is probably not the prettiest of the many islands that comprise Fiji. So I am planning to stay somewhere and take at least one day-long excursion to one of the other islands. This outfit called [url=http://www.ssc.com.fj/]South Sea Cruises[/url] seems like what we are looking for since they depart from Nadi, but I haven’t decided which island that they serve would be best for us. We are looking for natural scenic beauty. Also, we will probably need to float to an island rather than fly because of the added expense of air travel.

I came very close to making a big mistake by almost booking at a resort in Suva, which I found is on the other side of the island from Nadi. We will have lots of luggage from our trip so we are looking for lodging where we can dump our stuff and then do some excursions. It would be nice to stay at a waterfront resort if there is a good one that is reasonable. We are not needing luxury since we will probably spend only about half the time at the resort. However, we want more than a hostel, which appear to be plentiful in Fiji. I’m hoping to stay in the 100 – 150 USD/nite range, but could go a little more for a really good bargain. I’ve seen a few for less than 100 USD that look good on the internet, but I don’t want to stay in a dump or somewhere that may not be safe. I’ve read that crime can be bad in some places – especially Suva at night.

So I’ll stop here to avoid too long of a post. Basically I’m looking for some place close to the airport and if possible that offers transportation to Denarau which is where the South Sea Cruises depart for our day-trip. Any advice on any of this and other stuff to do on Viti Levu will be helpful and appreciated. We probably will take an excursion to the inner part of the island if there are any rain-forest parks or other scenic beauty. Our favorite Hawaii island is Kauai (garden island) to give you an idea of what we’re looking for. We’ll be at the mercy of local transportation so that is a consideration also. A couple of short hikes (1-5 miles) in scenic areas would be great.

Thanks for your thoughts/help/advice.

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • AusPinay's Profile Photo

Re: Where's a good place to stay as a "base camp"

by AusPinay Online Now Mar 1, 2008 at 3:51 AM

If you are taking a cruise (jump off point is Denarau marina) then stay at any of the Denarau island hotels as they are among the best, unlike a few that are in Nadi.They are all waterfront as well!

Check expedia.com or the accor hotels website as they always have good deals.

I had the same worry before(re getting something near airports). But I need not worry as our hotel in Denarau -the Sofitel Fiji was not so far after all from the airport so I just extended our stay there.Never get Capricorn International in Nadi...looks nice in photos, but crap inside! My son also lost his gameboy there.

Best of luck!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines