Mysore Travel Answers

change location
dahomej's Profile Photo

Nilgiri Biosphere Reserve

by dahomej Online Now Dec 5, 2008 at 3:07 PM

Hi!

I'm going to travel south from Mysore to Kerala, and visit any reserve or National Park on the way. I'd like to see elephants, crocodiles, beautiful landscapes, etc...

Which Park should I choose: Mudumalai, Nagarhole, Bandipur, Wayanad, Periyar or maybe Silent Valley? Where can I find wild nature and decent, inexpensive accomodsation.

Thanks

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • vpas's Profile Photo

Re: Nilgiri Biosphere Reserve

by vpas Online Now Dec 5, 2008 at 5:34 PM

Hi,
    I have been to Bandipur sanctuary.The accomodation there is inexpensive and they provide you with food on request(simple,freshly cooked)(you get to see deer/peacocks and elephants from your cottage itself)the cottages are simple and basic,but clean and comfortable)You can take a safari ride on a jeep or use the tour bus of the sanctuary and if lucky you can spot wild boars,sambhar,neel ghai/black bucks;peacocks,deer and elephants -- you will find in plenty.
    I went for a ride from bandipur to mudhumalai by local bus,but did not find many animals in mudhumalai.
    I have heard that nagarhole is good.
    Silent valley is supposed to be excellent,but i dont have first hand information.
    Thekkady in kerala is worth a visit.
    Hope this helps,
    vpas

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Donna_in_India's Profile Photo

by Donna_in_India Online Now Dec 5, 2008 at 7:22 PM

Hi - I haven't been to the others but Nagarhole was great. There are many wild elephants (very cool, up close and personal), gaur (bison), dhole (wild dog), wild boar, antelope, and several types of deer - chital (spotted), muntjac (barking - yes, does sound like a dog), and mouse deer. There are also over 200+ species of birds. And yes, there are tigers but they seem to be more elusive than at other parks in the north (or maybe there are just less). There was one spotted a few times when I was there but I was always in another place at the time (as happens when looking for tigers!).

Since it's on the river, we were able to take a boat ride one day and a coracle (which was also very cool) ride another day. There were crocodiles and alot of aquatic birds.

I stayed at the Kabini River Lodge which has accomodations in all price ranges. The food was good. I'm hoping to get back to Nagarhole myself in the next few months. Happy Travels!

• Chintoo's Profile Photo

by Chintoo Online Now Dec 5, 2008 at 10:00 PM

Hi,

Agreed with Donna, Nagarhole is really great and Kabini lodge is excellent... so my suggesttion is to go first to Nagarhole which is around 100 km from Mysore, and further while traveling through Kerala you can visit Periyar also as you do not need to go off the way to visit Periyar if traveling in Kerala.... also experience the backwaters in Kerala on overnight houseboat cruise if it sounds good to you...

Chin2

• cuppadamoksha's Profile Photo

by cuppadamoksha Online Now Dec 6, 2008 at 2:54 AM

Hi .. I would suggest visitng Nagahile & Wayanad. I can set u up with an inexpensive homestay in an area called Coorg which is close to both. From there you can actuallly head on to Mysore where you can cover Bandipur & Ranganthitoo Bird Sanctuary . Mail me your travel details and lets see what we can arrange .

• Re: national parks

by petermam Online Now Dec 9, 2008 at 9:30 AM

If you can, try to stay overnight at Periyar so that you can take the all-day bamboo-raft trip on the lake. Sliding silently close to the shore you get very close to the wildlife without disturbing them, and you are safe. If you would like to stay in a ,very beautiful, traditional teak house , and get excellent advice ,try this contact; Rajeev Mehta, Kottayam, Kerala. email;
    sanjeevkmehta@yahoo.co.in tel. 0091-481-2311460
    A few years since I last went but I think he will be there. Not a big 'set-up' but a very nice family and a truly 'Indian' experience. Mysore, by the way, is one of the most unspoilt 'Indian' cities and you can still get around it. Unless the threatened 'overspill' from Bangalore IT companies has gone there. Ask Sanjeev. God luck, your ideas will make a memorable adventure.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines