Mysore Travel Answers

change location
luckywanderer's Profile Photo

Anti-malarials & travel

by luckywanderer Online Now Nov 24, 2003 at 12:11 PM

Hello all! My question is about the risk of malaria during the time that I'll be traveling/visiting in Mysore, Bangalore and Mumbai. I'll be there from Jan 7th until the 22nd. From my understanding this is the height of winter - I recognize that malaria is a very real threat, but under the circumstances I'm wondering if subjecting myself to not-so-pleasant side effects makes sense if I'm able to take necessary precautions (mosquito coils, mosquito repellent spray w/DEET, wearing long pants and long-sleeved shirts during the evening). My question is how real of a threat do malaria-infected mosquitoes pose during my time of travel? I'm having some reservations on taking the pills I've been prescribed due to the information that I've come across. I've been prescribed Malarone. Any information would be incredibly helpful. I definitely want to be safe on the trip, but I don't want to spend the short time that I have there feeling ill due to the prescription. Take care & be well, Paz Emely O

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • fabrice's Profile Photo

Re: Anti-malarials & travel

by fabrice Online Now Nov 24, 2003 at 3:15 PM

there is no real winter in south india and there is no malaria inside the big cities of india anyway,I always travel with a very efficient and strong repellent against mosquitoes the mosquitoes who give malaria only bite at night I never take pills against malaria because there are so many kinds of malarias,and you need to start one week before and end the treatment one month after your return

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • radz's Profile Photo

by radz Online Now Nov 25, 2003 at 3:31 AM

Hi i think you dont get worry about malaria.Mysore, Bangalore and Mumbai winder is not very chilly.Days will be warm,even no need of warm cloths.Only night u need warm cloths. With all your necessary precautions ,i think you can manage.Have nice India trip. Radz

• oldmonk_92129's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Anti-malarials & travel

by oldmonk_92129 Online Now Nov 27, 2003 at 3:46 PM

In the cities you have mentioned, there is no real winter really. As others have pointed out the days are quite warm and nights do not dip below 16-18C usually. You will find the winter weather a lot more bearable than Boston (no nor-easterlies!) :o) Of the major cities in India, only Delhi has a severe winter with warm clothes required. Tha malaria question - My personal feeling is better be safe than sorry. I am from India and go back every year. I do not take any pills but then I grew up in India. I however did get stricken with malaria when I travelled to a rural, not so sanitary place when I was 12. Malaria unfortunately takes a very long time to recover from and you can relapse somewhat easily. It took me 9 months to recover my strength completely. So I might be somewhat biased in suggesting to err on the side of caution and take pills. Malarone has very little side effects. The only side effect is that it is expensive.

• luckywanderer's Profile Photo

Thanks!

by luckywanderer Online Now Nov 28, 2003 at 11:18 AM

I just wanted to thank you all for responding. I have decided to take the prescribed med. The side effects of Malarone are significantly less frightening than Larium, so it seems worth the inconvenience of having to pop a pill a day. Un mil de gracias! Emely O

• jackfruit's Profile Photo

Re: Thanks!

by jackfruit Online Now Dec 5, 2003 at 10:59 AM

Odomos which is locally available in pharmacies and supermarkets all over India is a good thing to purchase (if you havent already brought a DEET insect repellant into the country).

• ManOfLaMantra's Profile Photo

by ManOfLaMantra Online Now Dec 8, 2003 at 3:17 PM

I dont suggest filling your body with medicines. You wont be there very long, and there arent as many mozzies in those areas at that time of the year. I burned mosquito coils, used a mosquito net at night (rarely) and used Mos-Free, a DEET mozzie repellant available in the fancy stores we rich travelers shop in when in India. I had few problems with mozzies in Mysore around that time of year. Mozzies dont like drafts, so if you are staying in a place with an overhead ceiling fan, turn it on, especially while sleeping. When I spent any length of time in place without bug screens, I would buy a few metres of mesh at the local hardware store and nail or tape it around any openings the mozzies could get through. You can get fresh air without getting bitten. When you look at a hotel room (always look before taking a room) see if it faces stagnant water or a rubbish dump. Ive been in places where it was mozzie hell on one side, mozzie free on the other. Enjoy Hindustan, a magical wonderful place full of love and motion and wonder.

• wilde13's Profile Photo

by wilde13 Online Now Dec 11, 2003 at 4:21 AM

Hello, i was in india this year for business in april . Although i had seen air conditioned hotels, air conditioned offices and had a 4 days trip through rajasthan by air conditioned jeep only , i was 3 weeks after return sick by paratyhpus and malaria tropica. The only mosquitos i had seen, were at bombay airport. I have been several times to tropical countries before, but there is really a risk you have to pay attention for in india. Still best protection against malaria is long, light clothes in dim light and anti-spray. There is one very good and efficient, new medicine. Malerone If you want to take anything as prophylaxe, it is up to you. But you should always have some medicine in your pocket. By Malerone the malaria tropica was treated within 3 days. So, now after 6 months restoring from this, i am ready to go to india again (even for job). Enjoy it, India is incredible!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines