Mykonos Island Travel Answers

change location

Mykonos and Santorini

by jadedtourist Online Now Mar 6, 2011 at 2:47 AM

Hello all,

I'm planning to travel to Greence in August with my husband and 6 year old. We will have 7 days (excluding flight days). Our wish list includes Mykonos and Santorini and possibly Andros or Naxos. Can we combine Crete or Rhodes into the mix?
We will be flying in from London Gatwick direct to Mykonos. Would you suggest 3-4 islands is a do-able itinerary in 7 days? We are interested in enjoying the beaches, visiting a couple of places of historical/cultural interest like Delos and Akrotiri. My husband is an avid photographer looking for good travel photo ops.

Thanks in advance.
Would you suggest an island hopping tour or cruise?

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • Re: Mykonos and Santorini

by jadedtourist Online Now Mar 6, 2011 at 2:59 AM

Forgot to ask the key question - Would Mykonos be a good base for the trip? Suggestions of a Hotel with swimming pool (must-have for my son) would be greatly appreciated. thanks again.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • oriettaIT's Profile Photo

Re: Mykonos and Santorini

by oriettaIT Online Now Mar 6, 2011 at 7:11 AM

agree, in seven days I would stick to Mikonos and Santorini. Crete require at least 15 days itself to be able to say you visited something of it and Rhodes would be about the same.
    If you arrive in Santorini by ferry, the view of the dark cliff with the white village on top is awesome. try to reserve at least a whole day just for Oia itself and ask your hotel owner when is the best time of the day for light, Your husband is going to have fun there. I could not stop taking picture there.. and it was August and noon... so it was really hot. If you cant effort a hotel with a view get in one of the cafe overlooking the caldera, they all have a terrace facing the caldera, order a drink, nescaffe frappe is a must (soluble coffee and ice shaken together. you can have it plain, with sugar and or with milk), and just sit back and enjoy the view.
    happy travel

• Re: Mykonos and another island

by Ouzone Online Now Mar 6, 2011 at 8:27 AM

You need to do a lot more research as then you will then see the impossibility of Crete or Rhodes in the timescale.

Cruises and indeed Island hopping tours are just not available for islands that interest you, they have to be done using Greek ferries.

Crete, Rhodes, Santorini can be done on other ocassions plenty of direct flights from UK.

2 islands is a maximum as is it such a short time, and you will probably have to have the first and last nights on Mykonos simply due to ferry timings and UK flight timings.

That more or less leads to what other island you want to combine with Mykonos. The most easily accesible (by ferry) are Tinos, Andros, Syros, Paros/Antiparos, Naxos.

If you are flying direct UK > Mykonos then coming back from Santorini > UK then OK the 2nd island could be Santorini.

by jadedtourist Online Now Mar 6, 2011 at 12:29 PM

Thanks every one. I looked up some info on the ferries and it does look like they anything more than 2 islands would be an absolute stretch.
    My budget is about 100 Euros per night for the Hotel - this is because I feel a good view may not be available for anything less. Otherwise I would stick to about 65-75 Euros per night.

Can I give up Mykonos and just do Santorini. On reading about Santorini, it feels like it is a really island.

by jadedtourist Online Now Mar 7, 2011 at 11:26 AM

Thanks very much..I tried the Blue Dolphins and they are bit more expense for 3 people. I guess I will go with a normal hotel and ask my son to get his full of water fun in the beach!

I have just booked the flights - onward to Mykonos and return from Santorini. It was quite expensive being peak season.

by oriettaIT Online Now Mar 7, 2011 at 10:04 PM

do not worry about pool, I haven't said before but I can assure you that, with Greek crystal water's beaches available you will not even think at a pool :) actually you will believe you ARE in a pool!

• nesfromoz's Profile Photo

by nesfromoz Online Now Mar 8, 2011 at 7:09 PM

Another couple of Santorini accomodation options for the caldera side, close to your budget:

Villa Fotini which is located in Firostefani http://www.santorinivilla.com/. It it budget accommodation, very clean and close to transport, views to the Eastern side fo the island. A few steps away from the wonderful caldera views. No pool on site however customers can freely use pool of a neighbouring hotel - at least this was an option when I stayed there last summer.

ALSO

Hotel Thira and Apartments tripadvisor.in/Hotel_Review-....
    This hotel is in Fira. Has a lovely pool and clean rooms.

by jadedtourist Online Now Mar 10, 2011 at 2:05 AM

Thanks very much for all the wonderful information. I have booked with Santorini villas.
    Any suggestions on Mykonos please? It is incredibly expensive and seems to put Santorini to shame..I probably a mistake choosing mid-August for this trip!

by oriettaIT Online Now Mar 10, 2011 at 2:34 AM

yes, Mikonos is really full in August.. i cant help you there, but in case you will not get around to find an accommodation there, in case your flight is still open, i can suggest you Naxos instead, it is much quieter, very nice and cheaper.
    it is only about 3 hours from Santorini too and in August there are many different way to travel between the two islands.
    take a look to my Naxos Pages for an idea about the place here
    "Naxos island, the wildest Cyclades" - Naxos Island by oriettaIT
    happy travel

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines