Mykonos Island Travel Answers

change location

Best beach for that Greek island feeling

by rayman2005 Online Now May 29, 2006 at 6:51 PM

Hi fellow VT travelers

Can any-one share their experiences on Mykonos? Looking for a nice little beach to stay on in July not overrun by loud nightclubbers, but still close enough to Mykonos town to be within reach.

Can any-one help with tips on what's best on Mykonos? Our perfect scenario is a small beach hotel and bar like the movie "Shirley Valentine", 20 years on.

Thanks so much and PLEASE take a few seconds to help.

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • travelgourmet's Profile Photo

RE: Best beach for that Greek island feeling

by travelgourmet Online Now May 29, 2006 at 7:42 PM

The location of the bar/restaurant of "Shirley Valentine" was located just below the Windmills that sit above the beach next to Little Venice section of Mykonos Town. There are hotels that sit just behind and around the bay from the Windmills and are only a few minutes walk to the Little Venice and then the harbor of Mykonos.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • brotherleelove's Profile Photo

by brotherleelove Online Now May 29, 2006 at 8:01 PM

I hope you won't be disappointed. Mykonos has become a group tour-charter flight-honeymooner's delight sort of mass-marketed, over-developed, over-advertised and overpriced destination still trying to trade off its Glory Days as the Jet-Setter's Paradise from the 60's and 70's. Beautiful beaches, yes, no argument, but way too crowded, especially in July and August.

• forgrave's Profile Photo

by forgrave Online Now May 29, 2006 at 11:19 PM

greekhotel.com/cyclades/myco...

Shirley Valentine's taverna is the sunset taverna in Agio Ioannas which is about 3 mls out of town. It will be reasonably quite when you go but quite a steep hill to get to the road for buses and they are infrequent (own transport?)
    The link above takes you to the taverna.
    The link below takes you to Annas which is right on the beach beside Paranga.
    http://www.agia-anna-studios.gr

I'll be sitting there in 2 wks/ have a good holiday and if you want any more info e-mail me

• tripman's Profile Photo

by tripman Online Now Jun 4, 2006 at 4:50 AM

I am greek and i was looking for a hotel in the same area for my honey moon.The area's name is Agios Ioannis beach,there are few rooms to rent and two very big massive hotels a little southern...I discoverred a couples only romantic quiet hotel 200m from the beach that seems wonderful at www.rentalo.com/greece/mykonos island/apsenti It's name is Apsenti.I found few very positive reviews at tripadvisor and wait for more infos at VT...

• Re: Best beach for that Greek island feeling

by DavidGMarch Online Now Apr 4, 2013 at 7:31 AM

brotherleelove wrote:I hope you won't be disappointed. Mykonos has become a group tour-charter flight-honeymooner's delight sort of mass-marketed, over-developed, over-advertised and overpriced destination still trying to trade off its Glory Days as the Jet-Setter's Paradise from the 60's and 70's. Beautiful beaches, yes, no argument, but way too crowded, especially in July and August.

@brotherleelove can you suggest a better alternative? Was looking at Med/Aegean Turkey/Greek Isles. Would appreciate your suggestions for an authentic experience with good beaches, towns.

• brotherleelove's Profile Photo

Re: Best beach for that Greek island feeling

by brotherleelove Online Now Apr 4, 2013 at 8:19 AM

Consider Antiparos, Sikinos, Folegandros, Amorgos and Sifnos.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines