Mykonos Island Travel Answers

change location

2/3 days in Mykonos

by Uttio Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 7:25 AM

Hi! Am planning a 2/3 day trip to Mykonos in early June as part of a Greek Holiday with my wife & 12-yr old son. Would be arriving after a 2-day stop in Santorini & will move to Athens therafter. Just had a few questions:

1] Where should we base ourselves given the fact that we have only 2/3 days in Mykanos

2] Would love to enjoy a day on a beach - any suggestions where we shld be headed? Or would the beach options in Santorini be better?

3] Is the 3rd day in Mykonos a good idea - alternatively we could cut down the trip to 2 days and spend an additional day in Santorini (we currently plan to spend 2 days there)

Thanks a lot in advance.

Quote & Answer
13 Answers
  • greekcypriot's Profile Photo

Re: 2/3 days in Mykonos

by greekcypriot Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 7:33 AM

Usually some tourists stay in the ferry. If you plan to stay in Mykonos it is nice to stay by the port. From there hire a car and just enjoy yourselves. Have in mind that it is very cosmopolitan, it is also an expensive island. There are all sorts of bars and restarants and hotels to choose from. Just go there and have fun if you can afford it.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • greekcypriot's Profile Photo

by greekcypriot Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 7:34 AM

Have in mind that Santorini is not that famous for its beaches. You will enjoy swimming and all that in Mykonos. Santorini is stunning for everything else ....but not for the beach.

• brotherleelove's Profile Photo

by brotherleelove Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 9:39 AM

If he's not used to it, prepare your son for topless sunbathing.

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo

by lynnehamman Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 2:01 PM

You might also consider goint to Naxos (which is not far from Santorini) especially if you have your son with you.
    There are lovely beaches on Naxos, and it is far less commercial than Mykanos. Also it will be less crowded.
    Naxos and Santorini are perfect for a family holiday.
    If you are interested, I can recommend excellent self catering accommodation on both islands with spectacular views.

1 member found this helpful

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo

by travelgourmet Online Now Mar 9, 2013 at 8:55 PM

I would base myself in the old town area, near Little Venice, but that is just my opinion. I like life and lively areas. I find that Mykonos is more adult than child friendly. Only from the aspect of the daytime beach party style, nightlife and things to do. My wife and I have been to Mykonos on several occasions and always find it upbeat and lively. It really is a wide open Island and anything goes at a few beaches. It is quite beautiful and there are many beaches available for all tastes. As for the 3 days, why not take a side trip to Delos Island and let your son see the antiquities of Greece. Check out the Virtual Tourist Travel Guide for Mykonos for the Vters who have been there, and their take on the Island. See: Mykonos Travel Guide

I found a website that lists all the beaches as well as other information you may want or need to have. To check out all the beaches and what each has to offer (some tourists are shocked by nudity and some of the beaches do have total nudity). Topless is taken for granted. Go to the See & Do section of the website. See: inmykonos.com/information.ht...

1 member found this helpful

• Re: 2/3 days in Mykonos

by Uttio Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 8:50 AM

Hi! Wld be u cld share your recommendations for accomodation for both the islands - have still not decided which one. Thanks a lot in advance.

by brotherleelove Online Now Mar 12, 2013 at 9:47 AM

For Santorini-

Please reveal your maximum daily room budget and which village you prefer, specifically in EURO. If you don't know then please do some research first. Otherwise there are just too many hotels, apartments, studios and rooms to recommend in at least 8 different villages, and room rates range from €25-1600/night.

• by Uttio Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Well... I am looking for something in 100-130 Euro range.

by brotherleelove Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 11:18 AM

"and which village you prefer"

• lynnehamman's Profile Photo

by lynnehamman Online Now Mar 13, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Uttio- you say that you are interested in Naxos too (on my profile page) so here is link and review to the fabulous Hotel Grotto - fabulous site and views.

Hotel Grotta: "A Family Affair" - Naxos Island Hotel Tip by lynnehamman

by Ouzone Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 8:31 AM

Just dump Santorini and Mykonos entirely, they are more for adults.

For beaches - Islands like Naxos, Paros, Antiparos, Syros, small Cyclades are way better with children in mind.

by Uttio Online Now Apr 22, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Hi! Considering everybody's suggestions have finally settled on staying in Little Venice - it gives us the flexibility to move around the different beaches on different days. Also it seems to be a quaint place to soak in the atmosphere. It would be great if someone cld suggets a few good hotels - budget is approx. E150-200 per night.
    Thanks.

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo

by travelgourmet Online Now Apr 22, 2013 at 7:48 PM

This is a studio style accommodation right in the heart of "Little Venice" and near the main section of town and bus,as well. The price is right and it may not be too fancy, but it is very convenient. See: http://www.christinamykonos.com/ or

Booking.com for more info: See: http://tiny.cc/n82yvw

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines