Mykonos Travel Answers

change location

Delos

by loriw816 Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 7:04 PM

My cruiseship gets into port at 1:00pm and leaves at 9:00pm. How would I get to Delos?

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • brotherleelove's Profile Photo

Re: Delos

by brotherleelove Online Now Mar 21, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Sorry, you won't be able to make it. Every day except Monday, when Delos is closed to the public, excursion boats depart the Mykonos Town harbour in the morning, and return in the early to mid-afternoon. Three different boats — the Delos Express, the Margarita and the Orca — offer round trips that typically depart at 9, 10 and 11 a.m., and return from Delos at 12:15, 2 and 3 p.m.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • SOLODANCER's Profile Photo

by SOLODANCER Online Now Mar 22, 2013 at 7:46 AM

It may be doable, you got enough hours to make a quick visit in time back for your 9PM departure.

If you can't time it to catch one of the ferries, inquire by the dock of a free fisherman or a boat owner who would be willing to take you over to Delos upon an agreed package price. This I did with a couple of friends giving us plenty of time (literally a whole day) at this most incredible sacred island. Make sure you haggle of a good price.

Good luck.

• by loriw816 Online Now Mar 22, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Thank you for your reply. Do you know if a private tour group would be able to go?

by brotherleelove Online Now Mar 22, 2013 at 9:12 AM

If you arrive at 1pm you WON'T be able to do it, believe me. More time will be lost getting from the cruise ship dock into Mykonos town to the Delos departure area. It wouldn't surprise me if you didn't get there until 2pm.

by SOLODANCER Online Now Mar 22, 2013 at 11:27 AM

I do believe there's a good chance you'll be able to pull it off. You've got only a short window of time for sure but seeing that possibly you'd have a good 7 hours at least, the chance is there to make it to this beautiful sacred island which is an unforgettable experience in so far as seeing and experiencing a place so much tied to Greek mythology.

Take a taxi immediately soon as your ship docks straight to Mykonos town and the fisherman's wharf. Find that independent fisherman or private boat owner right away and settle for a reasonable price. If there's a group of you or one you can find to join you, the economical it is in terms of the package deal (don't be ashame to haggle for a deal)..the better it as well for the private boatman for his profit. Because of time constraint, make sure the terms of the trip is well understood by both parties.

If you'd have a good 2 hours on the sacred island (the place is tiny) exclusively, then it's a most rich and memorable 2 hours. The boat trip itself to Delos from Mykonos is about 40 mins. to an hour. Obviously you could use more time to explore better but for what it is as far as your schedule goes, believe me better than not having set foot on Delos at all!

It is doable....and you must go by this belief...for reality to actually take place.

Oh, and while you're on the taxi taking you to Mykonos town, inquire from the driver himself if he knows of someone who could take you to Delos. Very likely, he'd know quite a few.

• Re: Delos

by Ouzone Online Now Mar 22, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Cruise ships have special arrangements, you'll have to ask specifically about that.

You cannot get from Mykonos to Delos and back again on the regular excursion boats.

1 member found this helpful

by brotherleelove Online Now Mar 22, 2013 at 1:07 PM

I believe Ouzone's comment presents you with your best option. If your cruise ship is offering an excursion to Delos that's what you'll need to do to get there.

by SOLODANCER Online Now Mar 22, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Ouzone wrote:
    Cruise ships have special arrangements, you'll have to ask specifically about that.

You cannot get from Mykonos to Delos and back again on the regular excursion boats.

If her cruise ship has this special arrangement especially as part of the travel package, well then it's a given that she'd opt for this especially as a matter of convenience instead of running around  and rushing like chicken with no head looking for an off chance to get to Delos on her own.

• buyuk_keddi's Profile Photo

by buyuk_keddi Online Now Apr 2, 2013 at 12:34 AM

It's hard to find regular way. But maybe you can hire private boat in order to get to Delos

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines