Murmansk Travel Answers

change location

Day Trip in Murmansk -Arriving by Cruise Ship

by jeana-r Online Now Apr 21, 2009 at 7:11 AM

Hi,
Will be stopping in Murmansk this summer on a cruise ship, and want to see a little of the city. Since I work on the ship, I am not certain I will get a tour so I need to plan an independent one. Can anyone tell me how easy difficult it will be to get around from the ship terminal; I realize I will have to get a visa but I am wondering if there are local (English speaking) tour operators who can provide a day tour with a blanket visa and what I might be able to see either with them or on my own.
Many thanks.
JT

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • Re: Day Trip in Murmansk -Arriving by Cruise Ship

by inmurmansk Online Now May 8, 2009 at 2:09 AM

Hi there! Use these guys (murmantourism.ru/en/companie..., they have english-speaking staff available to help you. Just to warn you a bit, don't be disappointed if there isn't too much to see. There's a huge statue, a church or two that aren't too interesting (one in neighbouring Kola that is kinda interesting). And the market, I guess. Depends what you're interested in, but Murmansk is a pretty bleak Russian industrial city. I do like living here, but it isnt't exactly heaven for tourists, Flait will set you up with a sightseeing-trip if you want to. Kinda pricey, for Murmansk, but they do speak English well.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer

by jeana-r Online Now May 9, 2009 at 1:51 PM

Thank you very much! I am looking forward to visiting your hometown!

Kind regards,
    Jeana

by kitty48 Online Now Apr 4, 2010 at 8:35 PM

Jeana
    Did you find a guide?
    Any comments

• globetrott's Profile Photo

Re: Day Trip in Murmansk -Arriving by Cruise Ship

by globetrott Online Now Jul 29, 2013 at 7:11 PM

I understand that this question is from a Long time ago, BUT I would still like to give my personal experiences here:
    as a crew-member you certainly dont Need a visa for russia, you simply leave the ship with your crew-card and you are allowed to go anywhere you want to !
    I have done that back in 1985 I think, onboard of the first ship that was ever allowed into the strategically sensitve post of Murmansk.
    We had a tour organized by the local seamen-club

• globetrott's Profile Photo

Re: Day Trip in Murmansk -Arriving by Cruise Ship

by globetrott Online Now Jul 29, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Maybe, when you log-in some day again in VT it would be interesting for me to know:
    How did you like it in Murmansk ?
    For me it was mainly a visit in a strategic Point at a time during the cold war, a dirty place with terrible streets BUT friendly People:
    the seamans-club invited us to a bottle of bear, and they were afraid of taking Dollars as a payment - because it was strictly forbidden at that time for russians, and we did not have any bank oboard for the official Change, so the russian People finally decided to invite all of us !

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Murmansk