Murmansk Travel Answers

change location
morgenhund's Profile Photo

Murmansk to Ivalo?

by morgenhund Online Now Nov 6, 2005 at 6:36 AM

Does anyone have any recommendations about how to get from Murmansk to Ivalo - I am wondering about including both locations on my holidays next summer. Thanks in advance! Mike

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • RE: Murmansk to Ivalo?

by jamesrothwell Online Now Jul 3, 2006 at 1:15 PM

I am driving from London 5,000 miles around Europe and Russia next Febuary.
    One of my stages is Ivalo to Murmansk via Nickel.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: RE: Murmansk to Ivalo?

by Ricca Online Now Feb 18, 2007 at 5:14 PM

You can take the postbus from murmansk to ivalo , during the summertime.
    the bus is going from to the bus station who is located beside the railway station in central murmansk. Murmansk gives you the real picture of russia,the contrast between the raw climate and the hospitality of the people(nobody can speak english exept for the hotel personal). The city is a safe place , the worst thing who can happend to you is maybe that a drunk man is asking you for money or vodka or that the police/military wants to check your papers - so beware to carry all you papers with you att all times! The 2 seriously problems with the city is the air polution and you can feel a strange smell all the time when your outside. And so the water.. its smells musty and doesnt look really clean.

I was traveling from ivalo to murmansk for 3 years ago with that legendary postbus and thats a journey i never forget. The bus departued from ivalo around 03.25 pm local time (25 minutes late!) the bus were a pretty fresch 6 seat van) signed *MURMANSK* in the front window and after a few minutes we droved away on road 91 towards the Raja-Jooseppi(finnish custom) and the russian custom(Lotta). after 1 hour we arriwed at the finnish customs and they just check my well proved swedish passport in 2 seconds!! hehe that was easy i tought. And then the gate opened and we droved further to Lotta. At the russian custom i only had to fill some migration forms and after a gaved the papers to the tull officer he start to be mad couse i also needed the visa-copy !! so okay i passed- he finaly stamped my pass and i could continue to the next check the x-ray. The officer tought my bottle of ice tea looked like a smal nuclear bomb..eheh well i agreed with him but my inner question still remains - why should i attempt to smuggle a nuclear bomb to that place who already have enough with radioactive goods. So after a while i could enter the bus again and we droved about 200 yards - and then Ctoy! two soldiers wanted to see the passports again and after a wile he gave it back and sayed Spasiba, the double bar gate opens and simsalabim i had now entered russian territory. The road on the russian side is terrible,a mix of mud and sand, telephone wires is hanging in the air and now the driver put on a tape with russian pop music. The bus was shaking so much i tought the whole construction was going to break! A puncture tire is an living nightmare on that road P11 to Murmansk. after ca 3 hours the road became better and better and after maybe 5 we passed the suburb Murmasji (it looked like the wounds from the war hasn`t healed yet. The houses were in ruins. I tought ahh *** what is this place. and we arriwed at the bus station 3 minutes later. Its a trip to another world. And during the summertime the sun never goes down, i went out for a walk 01.00 am the sun was shining and i never feelt scared, never!. For detailed info about the postbus timetab,price osv contact the finnish turist information in helsinki their wery pleasant,helpful and competent. Tel: +358-(0)10 60 58 000

Best Regards

//Ricca

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Murmansk