Murmansk Travel Answers

change location

Murmansk

by RIMABUD Online Now Oct 1, 2003 at 8:49 PM

Hi, Any info. on Murmansk as a place to visit for 4/5 days in the month of either May or June? I`m thinking of visiting there next year and would like to know if its worth the stop.I can only select a maximum of 6 cities on my Visa, so i want to check out each one before hand. Is Murmansk safe for lone backpackers? Would it be too cold to do outdoor exploring in late April/Early May? Any info.or strange tales appreciated. Thanks.

Quote & Answer
13 Answers
  • Pablos_new's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Murmansk

by Pablos_new Online Now Oct 2, 2003 at 2:11 AM

Murmansk sounds like one of those 0.01% ;))) Navy base + many other secret places ;))) Are you a spy? LOL!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Re: Murmansk

by RIMABUD Online Now Oct 2, 2003 at 1:21 PM

visatorussia.com/russianvisa... - Well according to Visa to Russia and other sources, a tourist visa requires a list of cities to be visited. I`m guessing this is`nt a strict rule?? So - banck to Murmansk - cutting to the chase, i saw a Globetrotter program where Murmansk was featured, and it looked like a cool(pardon the pun) place to go to. Is it worth a visit?What about travelling back to Moscow after via Arkhangelsk and stoping ther for a look?? Or maybe Murmansk is better visit during the Festival of the North in march? Thanks!

• globetrott's Profile Photo

Re: Murmansk

by globetrott Online Now Oct 2, 2003 at 2:56 PM

I visited Murmansk plenty of years ago, when our cruiseship was the first to be allowed to take passengers there in 1984. The best part was the entrance to the port, passing by plenty of "top secret submarines" - most of them rosty and in bad condition. The town itself had no major attraction, mostly just gray and muddy streets with the biggest holes I ever saw in any street. I certainly would like to return one day - but as this seems to be your first visit in Russia, I may highly recommend to go to the more interesting places with great architecture and cathedrals etc. In my opinion Murmansk is mainly a strategic outpost, and maybe a good place to see , what the REAL life is Russia is today, BUT are you sure, THAT is what you are looking for ??

by RIMABUD Online Now Oct 2, 2003 at 5:53 PM

Thanks for the insight. I`m into scenery, fresh air and some literature/history, instead of nuclear waste and misery.... But i`m sure Murmansk, as well as the journey to and fro, can offer plenty scenery? - as well as a place thats meant to have friendly people???! Visiting thte largest city inside the Artic circle would be a bonus too! Maybe one to two nights would be plenty - 5 nights seems a bit much going on the insights you people provide me. Its a safe enough palce i take it? Thanks again!

by RIMABUD Online Now Oct 2, 2003 at 7:07 PM

Sorry - me again!! About the Visa situation - i heard you have to have on your visa the cities you wll visit - and that if your are in a city not mentioned on your Visa, you are then an Illegal in that city.Thats correct? Any other suggestions for places to visit far north of St. Pete. before i travel to Moscow and onward via the Trans siberian route? Thanks.

• Pablos_new's Profile Photo

by Pablos_new Online Now Oct 2, 2003 at 10:23 PM

No it is not correct. This item is only for your security - where to find you if you'll be lost. Almost the same Russians need to fill in visiting Europe, though this is only bureaucracy. As Neil already mentioned visa is valid at all the territory except closed towns (like Sarov), but even Russians need a permitions to go there. To fulfill the bureaucratic requirements just put in names of the regional centers, like Moscow, S.Peterburg, Murmansk, Novgodor, Pskov. It is hard to imagine that you can visit more than 6 regions at once. Though Neil managed to see all the Russia, I guess ;))))

• heplion's Profile Photo

by heplion Online Now Oct 3, 2003 at 4:32 AM

Every year I just list Moscow and Peter as the cities I will visit and I h ave traveled fairly exte4nsively through the western part of the country as well. Unless tourist visa's are different than vusiness visa's, you write it on the application, but it isn't listed anywhere on teh visa itself, so anybody looking at the visa wouldn't know where you where you had listed anyway... If I were going to spend time in the north around Murmansk, I would probably consider petrasovodsk instead, not quite so far north, but the nature in the area is absoutly beautiful .

by RIMABUD Online Now Oct 5, 2003 at 6:37 AM

Thanks for the feedback - i might take in the 2 places altogether!!

• Lalique's Profile Photo

by Lalique Online Now Oct 13, 2003 at 11:55 PM

One more addition regarding VISA, yes, ideed you are right about six destinations in Russia, the visa application has it, but this application is still left from USSR times, when I guess, the relocation from town to town was rather restricted for foreigners, now it's just an atavism, to which you shouldn't pay much attention.

• Shabenina's Profile Photo

by Shabenina Online Now Apr 13, 2004 at 1:31 PM

Hello. I am from Murmansk. If you are still interesting in any information about it I will answer.

by RIMABUD Online Now Apr 15, 2004 at 11:40 AM

Hi there - thanks for your reply! I did`nt actually make it to Russia as planned when i posted this question - i went to Tanzania instead!Anyways - i`ll definately (100% certain!!) be heading to Russia next year for 3 months travel, with hopefully some time spent working on some Eco-projects on the Great Baikal trail near Irkurst. I`m rambling now so... As i see your originally from Kazan(which i also hope to visit), what do you think of Murmansk?? Are the local people friendly? Is the city safe to walk around during the day/evening for a lone foreigner? Is English understood by the younger people?I have VERY basic Russian at this stage - but its getting better! Most importantly for me - has Murmansk got a tourist facilities that offer day trips to the surrounding area and country side?Like day tours or maybe Fishing trips etc? Thanks - Sorry about the long mail and all the questions!

• Shabenina's Profile Photo

by Shabenina Online Now Apr 18, 2004 at 5:00 AM

Whahat do you think of Murmansk?? It is worth seeing (but better in winter). Are the local people friendly? Yes they are! Very! Is the city safe to walk around during the day/evening for a lone foreigner? Yes. Kazan is more dangerous! Is English understood by the younger people? The main part of young people speak English rather well. About tourist facilities you can see here - http://203415.8152.ru/

• RE: Murmansk

by palockina Online Now Sep 15, 2006 at 12:34 PM

hello
    my boyfriend and i are also planning on visiting murmansk next year.it may seem strange,but its somewhere i wanted to visit for years.how are you planning on getting there as direct flights seem to cost upwards of £1000!!!we wondered about flying from moscow and returning to st petersberg,or train from moscow,or maybe even from finland.i think its qite safe for a lone traveller,or we may be able to meet there?i think it wil be a bit cold,but if you have good clothing and walk fast you will be ok.i would be very grateful if you could share any of your findings on travelling there with me.
    sonia

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Murmansk