Municipiul Bucuresti Travel Answers

change location
Mark_Lester's Profile Photo

Arrival times of the 11:20 sleeper from Budapest

by Mark_Lester Online Now Dec 4, 2011 at 11:49 AM

Hi,
I am organising this
http://gcerc.wordpress.com/route/
We plan to arrive at Bucharest on the EN 473 train from Budapest, which is due to arrive at 11:20. We intend to catch the 12:13 to Istanbul. That leaves 53 minutes connection time obviously, which would normally be way too tight.

But this train is really ideal, it goes via central Romania and Brasov, and also gives us enough time to see Bratislava earlier in the trip. There is an earlier train we could get, which has an even tighter connection time at Timisoara at midnight, though I would suggest that the outbound will wait as it's just an internal Romania train and is clearly intended to pick up the down train from Budapest.

Anecdotal input is welcome, though any Romanians I have spoken to here have of course said not to trust the train timetable. But I need something harder, i.e from the station itself. seat61 has heard that it's usually no mor than half an hour, but I need that verifying further (seat61 recommends spending a night in Bucharest, which would be great but as you will see from the itinerary, that's not feasible) If you are in Bucharest and either know railway staff, or use the station regularly and could ask at the station as to how often, and by how much, the overnight sleeper from Budapest via Brasov is late (i.e has been late in the last year or so), I would be very grateful. If nether of these trains work we'd probably have to leave Romania out, which would be "nu vrumosc".

Multsumesc in advance for any help on this.

note:this information does exist, you cant run/fix a railway timetable unless you have this kind of stuff obviously, but its not always easy to get hold of.

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • Mark_Lester's Profile Photo

Re: Arrival times of the 11:20 sleeper from Budapest

by Mark_Lester Online Now Dec 4, 2011 at 2:52 PM

thanks bristol. Yeah I know about signaling equipment and the like getting ripped, that's just going to be pot luck I guess, it happens in the UK, I'm sure you know. The word I got from the controller at Belgrade was that the Balkan Ekspresi turns up 2 hours late as a matter of course, so I'm having a real good look at this southern section.
    If we foul up then we just have to get to Sofia, but obviously a key part of the whole plan is Istanbul.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Municipiul Bucuresti Travel Answer Locations