Munich Travel Answers

change location

Driving from Munich Airport to Seefeld Austria help please!

by PEV1 Online Now Feb 11, 2013 at 2:29 PM

A few questions here! In July we intend Easyjetting from Stanstead to Munich to drive on to Seefeld. (Easy Jet Innsbruck flights are ridiculous cost £257 each! so we have to choose Munich at less than half the cost. We are hiring a car from the airport and are rather dreading finding way out of the airport and driving South to Seefeld which presumably means we have to go round Munich or through it?
Question 1 How easy is it arriving through what appears to be a massive airport?

Question 2 How simple is hire car pick up ( we are pre paying vis Holiday Autos) is the car hire and office on the airport and hopefully simple?

Question 3 What is best route avoiding tolls, in fact do they have tolls in this part of Germany?

I have done a lot of foreign driving both in the US and Europe but after a nightmare trying to get out of the Montpellier airport and motorway system two years ago and then being hit in the back on arrival to fly home my wife in particular is very frightened about going through the 2nd largest hub in Germany Can anyone reassure us please (or otherwise!)
Thanks

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • Turtleshell's Profile Photo

Re: Driving from Munich Airport to Seefeld Austria help please!

by Turtleshell Online Now Feb 11, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Which Seefeld? Seefeld in Tirol,Austria or Seefeld in Bavaria, Germany?
    In case of Seefeld Bavaria, I'd recommend on taking the S-Bahn commuter train instead.

For the other Seefeld, you would need to head south towards Garmisch Partenkirchen via Starnberg. No need to drive through downtown Munich.
    Not sure about Austria, but there are no toll roads in Germany (other than a hand full of private roads on islands or so) for private cars.

At least Avis, Europcar and Sixt are smack in one of the two airport terminals and can hardly be missed, same goes for Hertz I think and possibly some other companies as well. If I remember correctly, they all sit right between terminal one and two.

I don't wish to praise my navigation skills here, but I think Munich is a dream to fly into and from. The only caveat is the lack of a high-speed train station - and some long walks but the latte ones seem to be inevitable.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Beausoleil's Profile Photo

by Beausoleil Online Now Feb 11, 2013 at 4:03 PM

We've driven through Munich but not at the airport so I can't help you there. However, get a rental car with GPS and you should be fine. We've done that in Paris a few times now and love it. We've spent more time lost at CDG than I care to think about and the GPS solved all our problems. Great invention!

Enjoy your trip. BTW, I can't remember any tolls in Bavaria.

• Turtleshell's Profile Photo

by Turtleshell Online Now Feb 11, 2013 at 4:12 PM

"Driving from Munich Airport to Seefeld Austria help please!"

Ups. It clearly reads Austria. Sorry.

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo

by Maryimelda Online Now Feb 11, 2013 at 4:27 PM

It is possible to go by train from Munich airport to Seefeld. Trains run regularly and take approx 3-4 hours. Some require a number of changes and others require only one change. Bear in mind that if you book online for your train journey 92 days in advance you will be able to get a really good cheap deal. This link will take you to the trip planning page of the bahn.de website:

reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/qu...

• colares's Profile Photo

by colares Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 6:41 AM

If you had already trouble in getting out of Montpellier airport, it might be better to take the train from MUC to Seefeld. If not do the following:
    After pick up of car follow blue signs to Autobahn. In this case A92 to München. Stay on this Autobahn until you reach "Autobahndreieck München-Feldmoching" Here you follow A99 to Stuttgart/Garmisch-Partenkirchen. Stay on A99. In intersection "Dreieck München-Allach" DON'T follow "Stuttgart" but "Garmisch-Partenkirchen". Stay on A99 until intersection "Dreieck München Süd West", here you change to A 96 to München/Garmisch-Partenkirchen. The Autobahn brings you into town and at the end you reach "Mittlerer Ring". You follow signs to Garmisch-Partenkirchen until you reach Autobahn A 95 to Garmisch-Partenkirchen. The Autobahn ends before Garmisch-Partenkirchen. Follow yellow signs on B2 to Garmisch and then onwards to Mittenwald, direction Innsbruck/Österreich, cross the border and follow B 177 to Seefeld.

There is a nice alternative:
    From MUC go again on Autobahn A 92 until you reach intersection "Kreuz Neufarn". Here you change onto the Autobahn A9 to München. Soon there will be signs to "Salzburg" always follow them, also when you were directed on the A99 which is the ring around München. After München, starting at the intersection "Kreuz München-Süd" you are on the A8 to Salzburg. Stay on this street until exit "Holzkirchen/Bad Tölz". Follow B13 to Bad Tölz. Don't go into the city, but stay on B13 south, pass by the town of Lenggriess until you reach a lake called "Sylvensteinsee". The are roadsings to "Vorderriss" and "Wallgau". It is a little country road in an albsolute magnificent area.The street is one of the very few (private) toll-roads in Germany (3€), but it is really worth it, as it follows the vally of the Isar river. Having reached "Wallgau", you follow signs to Mittenwald and Innsbruck, and you reach Seefeld. If weather is good I really recommend this alternative.
    On the Autobahn, please mind the speed limits, there are lots speed cameras.

Enjoy the trip!

• bk5545's Profile Photo

by bk5545 Online Now Feb 12, 2013 at 7:32 AM

Agree with the others that for a large airport, Munich is an absolute breeze. You won't encounter any toll roads per se in Bavaria or Austria.

However, one word of caution - Austria does have a "sticker" system. You must have a sticker or "vignette" displayed on your windshield in order to travel on the major highways. You can purchase a short term sticker at any fuel stop within Germany near the Austrian border. My first couple trips to Austria I did not know about this requirement, and was lucky enough not to be "observed" by the polizei. I wouldn't recommend trying that, as the sticker is relatively cheap, and I understand the fines are not.

• abalada's Profile Photo

by abalada Online Now Feb 15, 2013 at 11:54 AM

PEV1 wrote: Question 2 How simple is hire car pick up ( we are pre paying vis Holiday Autos) is the car hire and office on the airport and hopefully simple?
     Holiday Autos? I think they often rent out Terstappen cars. Not a company one can recommend.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1...

1 member found this helpful

• abalada's Profile Photo

by abalada Online Now Feb 15, 2013 at 12:07 PM

PEV1 wrote: Question 3 What is best route avoiding tolls, in fact do they have tolls in this part of Germany?
    No road tolls in Germany. But to use Austrian A (autobahn) and S roads you need a vignette (a toll sticker). EUR 8,30 for 10 days. Just buy it before entering Austria to be on the safe side. As this fee is rather low it makes not sense to put a lof of effort in planning routes avoiding such roads. And if you land by accident on such a road without the vignette it can become expensive.

• Kakapo2's Profile Photo

by Kakapo2 Online Now Feb 15, 2013 at 12:48 PM

If you want to go to Seefeld and its surroundings there is no need to use the Austrian motorway (Autobahn) for which you have to buy a "Vignette".

E553 takes you straight to Seefeld from the end of the motorway near Garmisch-Partenkirchen.

Nothing is easier than get to Garmisch from Munich airport. There is a motorway ringroad around Munich, and you get onto it right at the airport. Just make sure you drive to the west (starting with direction Stuttgart) - or you might end up in Salzburg ;-))

The drive from Salzburg to Seefeld (on a toll motorway) can be quite nice but it would add several hundred kms to your travel LOL

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines