Munich Travel Answers

change location
EszterC's Profile Photo

Accommodation help please , not sure on options

by EszterC Online Now Jan 27, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Hi everyone,

Just trying to sort out some accommodation for myself and my husband for 4 nights we plan to spend in Munich in August this year. we are from New Zealand and our travel agent has recommended the below places.
We want to look at everything in Munich but also visit Dachau and hop over to Salzburg.

Anyone have any experience with these places? Or recommendations for something better at around same price range?
Ibis Styles Munich --- this looked really far away on the map?
Winters Munich City Centre - looked average.

I have looked at some of the other Ibis/Holiday inn options which all look ok as well... anyone have experience with these?

Thank you!

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • Steve51's Profile Photo

Re: Accommodation help please , not sure on options

by Steve51 Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 12:36 AM

have a look at leonardo-hotels.com/germany-... be in that Ibis price range. I booked there because I only have 1 night in Munich, I'm arriving by train, and it's close to the train station..and I could get a cut for advance payment. I think the area might be a bit dodgy though...
    For 4 nights, you might find an apartment is a good bet ...I've used airbnb.com and wimdu.com for Berlin and Hamburg...no problem.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • zuriga's Profile Photo

by zuriga Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 7:40 AM

We found that staying right on a tram line was a very smart thing to do for seeing Munich. We stayed at the Jedermann Hotel and although the rooms are not extremely spacious, it had a lot of other good things about it. The tram stop was right outside the door and they served the largest and best breakfast I have ever seen for years, and we travel a lot. The staff were very friendly and spoke good English.. also very helpful.

My son and his family stayed nearby at a Citendine hotel, and that was quite nice, too, but lacked an 'older city' feeling as it was brand new that year.

Do check reviews on Trip Advisor.com. People are very honest with what they liked or disliked about certain hotels in a city.. any city! You might want to look for something with a/c. It gets hot in August.

• Turtleshell's Profile Photo

by Turtleshell Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 7:48 AM

The Ibis is located in an industrial area, sligthly outside the city. There is an S-Bahn (commuter train) station relatively close, but I wouldn't stay there.

The other hotel is right next to the central train station ("Hauptbahnhof") but, as mentioned above, the area is a bit dodgy at night. (Save, but there could be drunk people, and it is quite noisy.)

Since I live a little south of Munich, I don't need an accomodation there and therefore can't help.
    But perhaps try the tips here on vt or on vt's sister site tripAdvisor.

> and hop over to Salzburg

The Bavaria Ticket ("Bayernticket") is valid for trips to Salzburg Hauptbahnhof (not within Salzburg). Restrictions apply:
    munich-touristinfo.de/Bavari...

• SWFC_Fan's Profile Photo

by SWFC_Fan Online Now Jan 28, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Hi there,

We stayed at Winter's Hotel Munich City Centre in December 2010.

There's a review (with photos) on my Munich page, but I'll summarise the key points here:

Location - very convenient for transport. Right next to Hauptbahnhof. There is an entrance to the S-Bahn literally within 10 metres of the hotel's front entrance. As others have stated, the area around the station is a bit seedier/noisier than other parts of the city, but we never felt the least bit unsafe or threatened, even late at night.

Rooms - basic and a bit dated, but perfectly comfortable and functional. The bathroom was fairly spacious and spotlessly clean. It was more than adequate for our needs and if you view a room simply as somewhere to sleep and wash you'll be fine here.

Breakfast - a well presented buffet with lots of different breads, cereals, cheeses, cold cuts of meat, eggs, sausages, pastries, yoghurts, fresh fruit, coffee, tea and fruit juices.

Other - we weren't able to get a wi-fi signal in our room, but could pick the signal up in reception. I used my netbook to log on, but there is also a computer terminal that is free to use.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay at Winter's. We paid 51 GBP (ca. €60) per night for a double room with breakfast. At that price, we thought it was good value for money, particularly given its very convenient location.

Enjoy your trip!

• Kimi_the_Bear's Profile Photo

by Kimi_the_Bear Online Now Feb 8, 2013 at 2:49 PM

The Ibis Styles is far away from the city centre and any place of interest (if horse races are not your top priority ;-)))) - and in ugly surroundings, industrial zone, railway lines, etc.

I would rather stay near the main railway station if I had no other option despite this area not having the best reputation.

There is also an Ibis hotel (City) 300 metres from the main railway station.

My pick would be - if it has to be an Ibis - the Ibis City Nord in Ungererstraße. This is close to a subway station, not too far from the very centre, close to Schwabing's nightlife spots, close to the English Garden, etc.

I lived in Munich for several years but also stayed at many hotels over time. This pension in Schwabing is one I could recommend, good location, good service:

http://www.siegestor.com/

Leonardo Boutique Hotel, recommended by Steve, is also one I have stayed at. I can also recommend it - but depending on the room you have you might need earplugs. The location, however, is great, plenty of pubs and restaurants. Amalienstraße is in the heart of Schwabing and the university quarter.

That's another one you might want to look at (cheapish and not particularly modern):
    das-hotel-in-muenchen.de/de/...

If you stay in this area you should not miss to go to restaurant/pub "Alter Simpl" in Türkenstraße.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines