Munich Travel Answers

change location

Euro city train

by ahyi72 Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Hi I am buying train from munich to Zurich for end of June. Thinking of buying the first class train because from what I heard that is more spacious for our legs and we can put in our big luggage. Is it true? Any difference between first n second class? I am also confuse of reserving the seat. I don't quite understand the difference of open saloon, open saloon with table n compartment. Please advise me which type to buy. There are 5 adults, 1 child and 1 infant to travel. Thanks

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • christine.j's Profile Photo

Re: Euro city train

by christine.j Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 10:42 PM

First class is more spacious, but I'm not sure about it having more space for luggage. If you think you need more space for your luggage, you probably have too much for any train.Only take bags which you yourself can handle, as there are no porters.
    First class is mostly used by business people, trying to work while in the train. It's not the best place for an infant and a child.
    Open saloon can be compared to the seats in a plane. With the children I'd suggest booking a table, so you can play games or have the child draw a picture.
    Or book a compartment to have more privacy.
    Be careful not to book the quiet zone. This is meant to be a mobile/cell phone-free zone, but the other passengers there can also complain about children and babies being loud.
    Personally I would book a table in the open car in second class and the fifth seat right next to the table across the aisle.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • margsch's Profile Photo

by margsch Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Second class in these trains is very comfortable, I agree entirely with Christine,s suggestion to book the 4 seats with a table between and the fifth seat just across the aisle, then you can all pretty well sit together. There are large windows in these carriages so you have a great view of the countryside. Take along some toys or books for the children as well as snacks and drinks.

Very large suitcases are a nuisance, try to make do with medium to smaller bags. Just inside these carriages there is usually a gap between some seats intended for luggage so you can leave larger cases there and just take smaller bags to your seats and stow them in the overhead rack.

• BlindFish's Profile Photo

by BlindFish Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 11:03 PM

in most trains there are areas to store bigger pieces of luggage but this means that you can't have an eye on your property all the time. there is little room above the seats, comparable with the hand luggage compartments in planes. for this train i highly recommend reserving seats as it can be really crowded especeally on week ends and in holiday season.

choosing seats with table would be my personal option. i also stay with first class when travelling by train as in my opnion it offers a more quiet surrounding. A table would offer enough room for Your legs, IMHO there's no difference between second and first class. when choosing a compartment, be aware that they always have six seats so maybe you have to share it with other passengers.

• abalada's Profile Photo

by abalada Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 2:40 AM

> There are 5 adults, 1 child and 1 infant to travel.

That makes however up to 6 seats. Thus a compartment with 6 seats for yourself might be a good idea.

A problem with this group size is that it is too large for an online booking (5 persons) and too small for a group booking (6 adults - but you only have 5,5 adults). Thus best would be to call the booking centres of DB in Germany or the UK. Has however the advantage that they can tell you directly if you can still get a compartement for your own.

• margsch's Profile Photo

by margsch Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Will someone be holding the baby? If so then you should not have to pay for a seat but someone in Germany will know.

• christine.j's Profile Photo

by christine.j Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 11:25 PM

I would pay for the extra seat reservation, just for the privacy.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines