Munich Travel Answers

change location

Munich beer garden+thermal baths/spa in the surrounding region (on separate occasions:))

by Ischka Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 8:05 AM

Hello!
Will be staying in Munich for a few weeks, so I've been looking at the forum here for ideas (as a result, I have a nice list of things to do and see!). I've done a lot of research already, however, two things I am trying to find, and maybe someone would be kind enought to point me in the right direction: a great beer garden+thermal spa place(probably outside of Munich, from my research).
To be more specific:
-a beer garden that's NOT a touristy establishment. Something that's unique and not catered to The Tourist, a local gem? Good food/great beer.
-was looking at nearby places to visit re:thermal baths and two stand out :
--Bad Tolz and Bad Reichenhall: is one better than the other? (more authentic, more picturesque, etc)
..or any other places aside from above?
Thank you!:)

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • christine.j's Profile Photo

Re: Munich beer garden+thermal baths/spa in the surrounding region (on separate occasions:))

by christine.j Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 10:10 AM

The beergardens in Munich are not for tourists only, most customers there are locals. Only during Oktoberfest this may not be true.
    However, if you want to experience a Bavarian restaurant and beergarden where you most probably won't find another tourist, I can recommend the Kirchenwirt in Anzing. It's outside of Munich and I haven't found an English version of their website.

http://www.zum-kirchenwirt.de/

3 members found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • german_eagle's Profile Photo

Re: Munich beer garden+thermal baths/spa in the surrounding region (on separate occasions:))

by german_eagle Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 10:40 AM

- Beergardens:
    Another vote for Augustiner-Keller. Very good choice.
    Flaucher, Isarauen 1, frequented by locals from Giesing and Sendling.
    Hofbräukeller, Innere Wiener Str. 19 (in Haidhausen) - my favourite

- Thermal Spa:
    I don't think Bad Tölz and Bad Reichenhall are "thermal" spa towns. Both are worth to see, though. Bad Tölz is closer, quite picturesque (Marktstraße!) with a very nice pilgrim chapel on the hill above the river and town. Bad Reichenhall has the more scenic setting (mountains). I think for thermal spas you need to go farther northeast, Bad Griesbach e.g.

2 members found this helpful

• travelfrosch's Profile Photo

by travelfrosch Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 11:58 AM

The Hirschgarten (Hirschgartenallee 1, S-Bahn to Laim, not Hirschgarten) beer garden is very good, as are the Chinesischer Turm (Englischer Garten 3) and Seehaus (Kleinhesselohe 3) beer gardens in the English Garden. Also consider Taxisgarten (Taxisstrasse 12, U-1 to Gern) and Forschungsbrauerei (Unterhachingerstrasse 76, S-7 to Perlach). I also agree with Augustiner Keller and Hofbräukeller, already mentioned above.

Be the first to rate this answer!

• colares's Profile Photo

by colares Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 3:14 PM

South of Munich is the little town of Aying. It has a well known brewery and excellent beer. The "Ayinger Bräustüberl" next to the brewery serves good food and has a beergarden. Worth a visit. Can be reached by car (A8 to Salzburg) or S-Bahn S7 direction "Kreuzstrasse" until Aying and from the station 300m walking, following the signs to the brewery. See also here: http://www.ayinger.de/?pid=262">http://www.ayinger.de/?pid=262
    Note: the "Bräustüberl" is not mentionned on the English site!
    Enjoy the beer!

• travelfrosch's Profile Photo

by travelfrosch Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 3:58 PM

I agree with Aying as a good choice. The name of the beer garden is Liebhard's Bräustüberl zu Aying. Their website is http://www.liebhards-aying.de/

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines