Munich Travel Answers

change location

Train ride to Zurich

by ahyi72 Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Hi we are planning to go munich and Zurich in June. Where and how should I book the train tickets to go Zurich from Munich and is there any direct train? What is the prices be like. Are there any hotels near Zurich and Munich area? I am looking for cheap and clean hotel. Preferably walking distance to the stations as I will be bringing to kids along with us. Which alps shall we go to since we are going to munich and Zurich. Thanks

Quote & Answer
14 Answers
  • Re: Train ride to Zurich

by K_V_B Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 8:42 PM

There are a couple of daily direct trains from Zürich to München. If you book sufficiently in advance a ticket for this train will only cost 39,- euro. or 48,- CHF. You can book these on www.sbb.ch or on www.bahn.de.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • christine.j's Profile Photo

Re: Train ride to Zurich

by christine.j Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 9:36 PM

I've stayed both in the hotel Europäischer Hof and the Intercity in Munich. Both are right next to the train station. The Europäische Hof was the larger one, but the Intercity is perfectly adequate. I've stayed in Intercity Hotel before in other towns, they're all avarage tourist hotels with all you'd need, but no luxury. A very good feature in my eye: You get a free ticket for public transport for the duration of your stay. There are no mountains in Munich, but with the Bavaria ticket you can take any local train after 9 am south to the mountains. The Bavaria ticket can be bought as a group ticket for a familiy with children . There is no need to book ahead, this ticket is the same no matter when you buy it. For the fast trains from Zurich you can save a lot by booking in advance as the poster above said. How old are your children? There may be further reductions depending on their age.

bahn.de/i/view/GBR/en/prices...

1 member found this helpful

by christine.j Online Now Feb 20, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Sorry about the missing paragraphs in my reply. I've typed it with paragraphs for better reading, but they got lost somehow when posted.

• abalada's Profile Photo

by abalada Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 2:30 AM

> Preferably walking distance to the stations as I will be bringing to kids along with us.

There are quite a number of hotels close to the main train stations of either city. But both cities have also excellent local public transport systems. The already mentioned Bayern Ticket covers in Munich all local public transport as well.

> Which alps shall we go to since we are going to munich and Zurich.

For an Alpine experience you have to travel from either city. But there are plenty of options where to go to. But why not staying in an Alpine resort in first place? That's a total different experience in the morning than the view on the traffic near the main train stations of these rather big cities. The only advantages of the big cities are anyway only nightlife, shopping and museums.

http://bavarian-alps.travel/en/index

alpenwelt-karwendel.de/en/mi...

http://fuessen-en.ictourismus.de/

> I am looking for cheap and clean hotel.

Not exactly the places to find a hotel which is not clean. Switzerland and cheap are however two words not going well together.

by ahyi72 Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 7:23 AM

Thanks all for all the replies. I am thinking of going to Austria, Salzburg as well. Do I need to buy the train ticket in advance? Is it the same website for buying the the ticket to Zurich? Thanks

by christine.j Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 9:35 AM

The Bavaria ticket is valid until Salzburg, so you can use it to go there as well.

by ahyi72 Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Hi can you tell me more about Bavaria tickets? What are places they covered? Where should I buy and what are the prices like? Thanks

by K_V_B Online Now Feb 21, 2013 at 9:31 PM

ahyi72 wrote:

Hi can you tell me more about Bavaria tickets? What are places they covered? Where should I buy and what are the prices like? Thanks

You can find all you need to know here:

munich-touristinfo.de/Bavari...

When planning a trip on www.bahn.de use the option "local transport only" when planning trips, so you avoid the more expensive trains this ticket is not valid on.

by abalada Online Now Feb 22, 2013 at 10:32 AM

You can buy the Bayern Ticket (Bavaria Ticket) on spot from ticket machines. All train, S-Bahn and U-Bahn stations have ticket machines. Bavaria Ticket for 1 person is EUR 22,00.

Railway map for Bavaria showing the validity of the Bayern Ticket.

bahnland-bayern.de/tl_files/...

You can travel on this ticket (with regional trains) to all stations shown on map as long they are on solid lines. Dashed lines are cogwheel and museum railways not covered. Bayern Ticket is also good to a number of train stations outside Bavaria (lines shown in grey).

Inside Bavaria (thus not in Salzburg or in Ulm) the Bayern Ticket covers also all S-Bahn (lines in orange), U-Bahn (metro), trams and city buses. Covered are also nearly all regional buses. A few town buses are not covered.

Stations at red lines are served on weekdays at least hourly. Stations in green or on green lines are served less frequent.

2 members found this helpful

by ahyi72 Online Now Feb 24, 2013 at 7:22 AM

Hi, thanks for the replies! I was searching through Agoda website but still have problems in searching for the hotel in Munich. I want to stay near train station area that can get me to Salzburg and Zurich easily. May I know what is the area that I should look out for? Is it under Hauptbahnhof area? Is there any serviced apartment at that area? Thanks

by ahyi72 Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 2:46 AM

Hi, thanks for the replies! I was searching through Agoda website but still have problems in searching for the hotel in Munich. I want to stay near train station area that can get me to Salzburg and Zurich easily. May I know what is the area that I should look out for? Is it under Hauptbahnhof area? Is there any serviced apartment at that area? Thanks

by abalada Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Hauptbahnhof (main train station) is the area to look for if you want to stay near it. Check e.g. with http://www.hrs.com and give as destination "München HAUPTBAHNHOF"

by ahyi72 Online Now Feb 26, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Hi I am thinking of booking Hotel Mariahilf which is at Lilienstrasse 83. Is it near to Hauptbahnhof area? Where is Bahnhofsplatz train station? I will be joining tour and the coach bus will drop us at the station. Thanks

by abalada Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 1:17 AM

> Hi I am thinking of booking Hotel Mariahilf which is at Lilienstrasse 83. Is it near to Hauptbahnhof area?

No. It is near the Deutsches Museum. Tram #17 from Hauptbahnhof to Mariahilfplatz.

http://goo.gl/maps/gw7Xn

> Where is Bahnhofsplatz train station?

Bahnhofplatz means train station square It is right in front of the main exit of the Hauptbahnhof. Which is by the way true for Munich and Zürich.

photo Bahnhofsplatz with main exit of the Hauptbahnhof

bahnbilder.de/1024/muenchen-...

~ view in opposite direction towards the Karstadt department store where the bus stops for the tour buses are

karstadt.de/redmedia/pics/fi...

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines