Mulhouse Travel Answers

change location

Muhouse to Marseille by train

by missioncontrol Online Now Apr 2, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Can anyone confirm whether the french railways overnight train to Marseille (ICN4295) still exists and if so which nights it runs - I am trying to organise a trip to include if possible a friday night couchette (6 July 2012) from Mulhouse to Marseille. Some sites refer to this train but it never appears as an option on voyages-sncf.com so maybe it used to run and doesn't run any more? any help would be gratefully received!

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • adelinemmc's Profile Photo

Re: Muhouse to Marseille by train

by adelinemmc Online Now Apr 2, 2012 at 1:52 PM

Hi
    SNCF is not promoting the sleeper/couchettes trains teh way it used to be. try to do a search under 'lunea', that the name of the trains and they have their own sub-site. I think you can only buy tix 2 or 3 months in advance at most. You can buy tix for normal trains 4 months before.
    The tactic by SNCF is simple: frighten ppl in buying normal seats b/c they don't see the couchettes tickets and by the time they might be released (or not) the normal seats have doubled in price and then suppress the sleeper services little by little since there is 'no demand', nasty!

Good luck

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Muhouse to Marseille by train

by missioncontrol Online Now Apr 2, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Lunea has now gone and the overnight trains are rebranded officially as 'intercites de nuit' from January 2012 - have asked sncf whether train exists and am waiting for their reply - in the meantime just wondering if anyone on the ground in mulhouse has seen whether this service still functions. I think you are right that sncf is making things difficult for us so i am trying to defy them by attempting to book the service.....!
    Many thanks
    Annie

by K_V_B Online Now Apr 2, 2012 at 9:06 PM

The train still does exist. You can find it by going to www.bahn.de, and selecting under "advance mode of transport selection" the option "direct connections with couchettes".

To book start here:
    http://intercites.sncf.com/

(TGV is only 5 hours btw...)

• adelinemmc's Profile Photo

by adelinemmc Online Now Apr 2, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Thanks for the info re. Lunea! SNCF is definitely upping its game in its own battle against sleeper trains with a rebranding to add all round confusion.

I hope you manage to book your train.

• cubsur's Profile Photo

by cubsur Online Now Apr 3, 2012 at 12:17 AM

I have a printed timetable which says that train 4283 leaves Mulhouse at 2127 and arrives in Nice at 0935. The train runs every night except on certain dates mainly before holidays!

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Apr 3, 2012 at 7:29 AM

voyages-sncf.com is a general travel site of SNCF France. However, many times I have found that when searching for local trips in the provences the TER site is better on each region

ter-sncf.com/Regions/alsace/...

gare de Mulhouse to Gare St Charles Marseille has your night train
    HOpe it helps

by missioncontrol Online Now Apr 5, 2012 at 5:24 AM

Amazingly enough sncf replied to my email _ reply reproduced below - in essence the line operator will not tell them when the works are planned for this line so in the meantime it is not live on their system for bookin. So I will just have to keep checking back to see if it is available but at least i know what's going on! Thanks to all of you who replied - we may be the only ones in Europe who have this information.....

Je vous remercie d'avoir contacté voyages-sncf.com

Vous nous informez que le trajet Mulhouse-Marseille de nuit
    n'est pas disponible à la vente sur notre site.

Les ventes de billets sur les trajets Mulhouse-Marseille sont momentanément indisponibles
    sur tous les canaux de vente SNCF car le programme de circulation des trains est en cours de réalisation.

En effet, la société Réseau Ferré de France, en charge de l'entretien et du développement des voies ferrées, planifie des travaux sur ces voies.

La disponibilité des voies nécessaires à la construction du programme de circulation des trains n'a pas encore été communiquée à la SNCF.

Je vous invite à revenir régulièrement sur notre site http://www.voyages-sncf.com/
    pour vérifier si votre parcours est disponible à la vente et à consulter notre rubrique
    d'aide dédiée aux travaux pour connaitre l'ouverture des ventes de votre trajet.

• gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Apr 5, 2012 at 8:04 AM

well I know they do answer back, BUT if you go to the TER site I gave you and put the overnight train at midnight you will find a train going by Belfort intercité de nuit from Mulhouse.

its a long thread to paste here, but its there. Leave Mulhouse by 20H52, change at Belfort, and arrive at Marseille at 6h32

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines