Muhafazat al Iskandariyah

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Travel during election time

Cairo Apr 5, 2014 at 9:25 AM

I am a 56 year old mother who will be traveling with my son (30) and his friend (24) to Sharm May 24-31, then plan on spending 4 days in Cairo, May 31-June 4. With the upcoming elections, what are your thoughts as far as safety/timing? We are all American citizens

more
    • nabq taxi or bus

Egypt Apr 5, 2014 at 4:45 AM

Can anyone please tell me weather I should use bus or taxi to get about from nabq bay to sharm etc and any idea on prices please.

more
    • Day excursions

Sharm El Sheikh 2 hours ago

Hi all

My girlfriend and I are arriving in Sharm, staying at the Hilton in Sharks Bay. We have looked at some things to do, in particular the quad biking, St Catherines and desert star gazing trips.

Is it cheaper or better to buy these trips when we are over there?? I see they are advertised through companies over the internet but want to get the best deal possible and was considering buying before we go.

Is there any other trips that are a must do when we are there, first time going to Sharm so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Andy

more
    • Aswan airport transfer

Aswan Apr 13, 2014 at 1:14 AM

What is the usual taxi fare from Aswan airport to central Aswan?

more
    • Is it safe to visit Cairo?

Cairo Apr 3, 2014 at 6:41 PM

Hi, we are planning a trip in August and have a stop-over at Cairo for 13 hours (12:30 pm - 2 am) and 17 hours (6 am - 8:45pm) both ways. I was thinking about doing the Museum on one day and the Pyramids / Sphinx on the other. Could you please tell me if it is safe to travel outside to the city? I read an article which said that the Egyptian government is wooing tourists to visit places like Luxor and Aswan, but are not promoting Cairo. Also would you advice that we do both on the same day?

more
    • Latest Train travel in Egypt from Cairo to Luxor and suitable to travel with 5 year old??

Egypt Mar 31, 2014 at 2:08 PM

Hi there,

I've been to Egypt several times but not for 10 years. I'm a UK passport holder and I'm debating about going with my inquisitive 5 year old daughter in May and taking by train from Cairo to Luxor. Can anyone tell me if the day trains are still running between Cairo and Luxor and how you can book a ticket? Also, its a repeated question but how safe would Cairo and Luxor be with a 5 year old? I've had great experiences in the past but not sure what to expect now!

Many Thanks

Richard

more
    • Should I visit Cairo?

Cairo Apr 16, 2014 at 2:03 AM

Greetings, I am thinking visiting Cairo to see the Pyramids and such a couple days after the elections? Is this advisable? Will is be safe after the elections? Thanks for any advice and help you can give me.

more
    • UNSURE AND SCARED

Cairo Apr 2, 2014 at 5:12 AM

Just really frightened by whats going on in cairio , i fly out on the 16th May and have been told that the elections take place 26th-27th may i am going there to get married , i actually dont know what to do , this is the only time i have off from work and need to do this this year , my flights are booked , can anyone shed somelight as to their thoughts please

more
    • Bombs attacks in Cairo

Egypt Apr 2, 2014 at 8:26 AM

We travelling from South Africa to Egypt from the 17th April to the 29th of April. WOrried about the uprising and bomb attacks in Cairo. Should we cancel our trip? Is it safe to travel to Egypt anymore?

more
    • Travelling to Eygpt in August 2014

Egypt Mar 30, 2014 at 6:14 AM

Im doing a tour of the major acient sites around Eygpt and i was wondering if anyone else was planning trips around this time and if i should be concernced for my safety? Im travelling with a tour company with two males and another female.

more
    • Would you go to Sharm El Sheikh?

Sharm El Sheikh Mar 24, 2014 at 12:47 AM

Would you go to Sharm El Sheikh?

more
    • going to Hurghada in april 2014

Hurghada Mar 24, 2014 at 2:38 AM

is Hurghada safe now? seems alot of travllers have had no problems there with security etc?

more
    • should I cancel my August Holiday 2014?

Sharm El Sheikh Apr 16, 2014 at 5:38 AM

Hi
      Please could someone advice? my 12 year old and I are going to Sharm Grand Plaza Resort Nabq Bay, Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt for two weeks in beginning of August, its our first holiday for years..Yet now many people are saying we should cancel it as it will be way to hot! I feel stupid for not checking before booking! Hotel and area has great reviews and look beautiful! but i'm worried it would be ridiculously hot for us brits? Any advice please?

more
    • VISA REQUIREMENTS FOR CONNECTING FLIGHT FROM CAIRO

Egypt Apr 13, 2014 at 11:44 AM

Hi, we are british citezens and will be travelling to Hurghada in August. Both ways we have a short stop over in Cairo and connecting flight (3 hours stop overs) . will we require a visa for Cairo and a separate visa for Hurghada? if so how much does the Cairo visa cost? Hurghada is around £10 per person.

more
    • One big day in Cairo.

Cairo Mar 20, 2014 at 2:12 AM

I would like to arrive in Cairo at 7am, visit the pyramids, then return to the airport for a flight leaving at 11pm. This would be on Wednesday, April 9th. I know traffic will be bad from the airport to the pyramids. Do you think it will be enough time? Would it be safe? Should I find a taxi to take me to the pyramids or should I set up a guide in advance to meet me at the airport?
      Thank you so much for your help.

more
    • Advice on solo travel/working

Egypt Apr 1, 2014 at 9:37 AM

Hello,

I need some advice a friend of mine is considering working in Egypt she's only young (19) and will possibly be traveling solo. I don't mind her going out there, I think it would be great for her! Just a little worried about her safety as I would really hate it if anything happened to her while she's out there.

While we were on holiday a few months ago, there were several guys and staff at that matter who gave her a lot of attention and being a bit straight forward with her.

Many thanks

more
    • From Alexandria to Cairo by boat (yacht or dahabyia)?

Egypt Apr 8, 2014 at 11:11 AM

I am doing research for a book. I have been in love with Egypt since I was 6 years old, but unfortunately never had the opportunity (read: money) to visit that country. I am looking for information on the navigability of the Nile coming from Alexandria going to Cairo, in the late 1890's, early 1900's. Yes, I know the Nile does not exactly reach that city, because it turns into a delta. But from what I've seen of old maps of Alexandria, there was a connection from the harbor through side canals--I think one was the Mahamoudieh Canal, if my memory serves me right--that allowed small boats to reach the Nile river. I believe there was a dam built near Cairo, that had sluices, but can't find exact dates. I would be very thankful of any information anyone could advance.

more

Popular Muhafazat al Iskandariyah Travel Answer Locations

• SandeeT's Profile Photo

What to see where to stay?

Alexandria Dec 29, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Where to stay (me an Hubby) while in Alexandria, Egypt? What to see while there? Also is there certain ones to use for sight seeing or just use ask at hotel? Thanks so much. We are planning being there for one week.

8 Answers Dec 30, 2013 at 9:54 AM
    • SandeeT's Profile Photo

Plz help..

Alexandria Dec 29, 2013 at 9:02 AM

We are thinking of traveling to Alex, Egypt in May. Maybe staying at the Four Seasons Alex. Do you think it is safe for us to travel there? Has anyone been there recently? Thanks for any info smiley

10 Answers Jan 1, 2014 at 3:05 AM
    • about egypt's money

Alexandria Oct 12, 2013 at 4:22 PM

what is the currency look like and the value of a dollar in egypt

5 Answers Nov 14, 2013 at 12:34 AM
    • Day trip from Cairo to Alexandria.

Alexandria Sep 23, 2013 at 1:07 PM

I am a female foreigner resident in Egypt and want to take a day trip from Cairo to Alexandria. I am looking for an affordable and reliable travel agent to take me sight seeing by on the last week of this month. Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated, Thanks.

5 Answers Sep 24, 2013 at 1:30 AM
    • private accommodation in Agamy beach - for European couple (and European beachwear!) with dog

Alexandria May 3, 2013 at 7:40 AM

Hello, we are thinking of spending 10 - 14 days at the beginning of August in Agamy beach. Can someone pls recommend where to find private housing (apartment or small house) for rent for that time. And which area would be suitable for us, as we are travelling with our small dog and wish to wear bikini / swimming trunks only.
      I hope someone can help! Thx a lot!

1 Answer May 11, 2013 at 4:17 PM
    • info abt alexandria

Alexandria Feb 26, 2012 at 7:58 AM

i am visiting alexandria next week so can anyone tell me which is the best way to see the good things in the city and what is the convenient way to see these all thing. which is the best tour manager for things to see in the city.

2 Answers Mar 15, 2013 at 8:28 AM
    • InannaMouse's Profile Photo

American woman traveling solo next week in Alexandria -- need advice

Alexandria Nov 30, 2011 at 4:38 PM

Hi.

I am an American woman traveling alone for a week in Alexandria (next week). I am meeting up with my husband, who is traveling on business at the end of that week. Together he & I will go to Cairo, Luxor, Sinai peninsula, the Petra & onward.

I have the right clothes & attitude -- I've been to other Islamic countries before. But there are some things that I cant seem to find info about:

1. Are self-guided tours OK? Are there any specific places I should avoid?
      2. Whats the best neighborhood for someone in my situation to stay?
      3. Will the weather really be too bad for diving?
      4. If I did go diving, what's the most culturally-appropriate swimwear? I hate offending people or attracting unwanted attention.
      5. Any other tips for the rest of the trip with my hubby?

22 Answers Jan 7, 2012 at 4:05 PM
    • StefanosS's Profile Photo

Christian religious items

Alexandria Sep 7, 2011 at 1:33 AM

Hello there! Can anybody guide me where to find Christian religious items (local handicrafts) in Alexandria or Cairo? Is there any web-site available (just to see them, not buy on line)? Stefanos

3 Answers May 11, 2013 at 4:37 PM
    • i want travel to alexandria from tunisia by ship

Alexandria Jun 17, 2011 at 10:07 AM

How I travel with my family and my car to alexandria from tunsia by ship?

1 Answer Jun 17, 2011 at 10:46 AM
    • Mel_H's Profile Photo

cab fare from al nozha airport to city?

Alexandria May 25, 2011 at 2:29 AM

Any idea about the approx. fare of a taxi from al nozha airport(near sumuha) to the city ( kafr abdo -bokla )being only a 15 minutes ride .
      TIA

7 Answers Jun 8, 2011 at 12:38 PM
    • How to get from Borg El Arab Airport to Misr Station?

Alexandria May 11, 2011 at 9:15 PM

Good day,

I need some help and assistance if you all would know how to get from Borg El Arab Airport to Misr Station so that we can catch our train from Alexandria to Cairo. Anyone know how much does it cost and mode of transportation to get there? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

5 Answers Sep 20, 2011 at 10:50 PM
    • what is the temperature in cairo in December

Alexandria Nov 22, 2010 at 1:16 PM

How hot is it in Alexandria and Cairo in early December

2 Answers Dec 1, 2010 at 7:12 AM
    • weather in cairo in December

Alexandria Nov 22, 2010 at 1:15 PM

How hot is it in Alexandria and Cairo in early December

1 Answer Nov 22, 2010 at 1:33 PM
    • Cruiseone2003's Profile Photo

How close are the city signs from the cruise terminal? Cooking schools?

Alexandria Oct 15, 2010 at 4:04 PM

I have a two part question. First, I'm coming to Alexandria by cruise ship on 20 and 21Oct, 2010. One day I wanted to spend some time in Alexandria. I'm not sure how close the cruise terminal is in relation to the sights within Alexandria. Do we need to take a taxi? Are taxi's metered or must we barter? Should we walk?

My second question is are there one day cooking schools in Alexandria? I'd like to learn to make some local dishes.

8 Answers Oct 31, 2010 at 11:45 PM
    • Transit hotel Alex

Alexandria Oct 14, 2010 at 5:05 AM

Im planing to book transit hotel for 1 night in Alexendria as my last day in touring egypt. Ive read good reivews, was wondering if anyone been there. does it have a view?

I cant see email id's for union or crecill.

also what's best way to go to cairo airport from here. take 4pm train that would reach cairo at 6:30 and then a shuttle to airport say another 1 or 1.5 hrs. estimate to be airport at 8ish as my flight is 11pm.
      advise?

6 Answers Oct 25, 2010 at 9:03 PM
    • day trip or 1 night

Alexandria Oct 13, 2010 at 5:08 AM

Hi,
      I'm going to be in Cairo and am very confused if I should visit alexenria as a day trip (saves check in & check out) or spend the night in alex so i have more time there (basically would get some time late night & early morning).

Day trip would give me 6-8 hours max i beleive would cover all the main spots. However, I heard the city has a nice mediterrain feel and maybe worthwhile to spend a night as that's max i can.

Advise.. plz..

5 Answers Dec 29, 2013 at 9:31 AM
    • nar137's Profile Photo

Train or bus from Cairo to Alexandria

Alexandria Oct 3, 2010 at 8:30 PM

Hi,

Can someone tell the earliest bus to Alexandria from Cairo. I have to catch a flight from Alex airport to Amman at 10:50am and the earliest train leave Cairo at 6:00am. If not I have to stay overnight in Alexandria, traveling by train a day earlier. What is the distance between the train or bus station to Alex airport? Thanks!

13 Answers Feb 17, 2012 at 8:11 PM
    • Name of Heliopolis St, Camp Cesar, Kamb Shiiziir, Alexandria

Alexandria Aug 10, 2010 at 6:14 PM

Hello Everyone

I used to live in Heliopolis St in Camp Cesar, Alexandria, more than 50 years ago. A friend of mine is now traveling to Alexandria and wants to visit the street.

Can anyone tell me the new name of the street please? I cannot seem to find it under the old name on any map. The best guess I can make is that the street is now called Youssef Fahmy. Is that correct?

Thank you so much for your help.
      Andrew

1 Answer Feb 18, 2013 at 4:33 AM
    • Express bus to Cairo airport from Alexandria

Alexandria Aug 1, 2010 at 1:01 AM

Hello!
      I heard about an express bus from Alexandria to Cairo airport-
      could someone tell me more about this? Is it reliable?
      Where could I book tickets and catch this bus? How much should I expect to pay?
      How long does it take from Alex to Cairo airport?

thank you so much/ SHUKRAN

1 Answer Oct 13, 2010 at 5:00 AM
    • kepha's Profile Photo

contacts

Muhafazat al Iskandariyah Jul 15, 2010 at 7:01 AM

can someone please help me with contacts for Union Hotel, Alexandria. i will be very grateful

4 Answers Jul 21, 2010 at 6:08 AM
    • Alexandria Sight-seeing

Alexandria Apr 10, 2010 at 2:06 PM

Can anyone tell me about taxis in Alex. Arriving in the West Harbour for one day and want to see some sights - is it easy enough to pick up taxis at all the sightseeing places, Library, Catacombs etc or would it be better to try and hire a taxi for a half day and if so roughly what would be the expected rate?

Also have heard that you aren't allowed cameras into catacombs - is there a secure place to lock them in or do you have to trust site staff with your camera - happy not to take photos but don't like handing my camera over to a complete stranger.

Thank you for any help/guidance you can offer.

Lesley

2 Answers Apr 13, 2010 at 7:44 AM
    • Pompey's Pillar and Serapeum

Alexandria Jan 10, 2010 at 5:33 PM

Firstly, do you have to pay for an entrance/viewing of these sights, and if so how much? Secondly are these sights within walking distance of other historical sights or attractions?

1 Answer Feb 18, 2013 at 4:39 AM
    • Help !!! where can I have a cartouche made in Alex.

Alexandria Nov 8, 2009 at 10:02 AM

Hi - i hope someone can help.

I would like to have a small gold cartouche made for my mum with my dads name in hieroglyphincs in it. I would like to place an order for it now and pay and collect it when we visit Alex. in january as a surprise for her.
      I have seen sites for this in the Cairo area but none in Alex.
      Is it possible for this to be done- does anyone know of any web sites for Alex.
      I am only there for 1 day and so would like to have this arranged in advance.
      Many thanks Elaine

4 Answers Dec 9, 2009 at 1:56 PM
    • Alexandria Tram Route....

Alexandria Jul 27, 2009 at 3:52 AM

Alexandria tram tips - Can someone help me to find the correct tram service (tram number) from Misr Station - Biblothica Alexandria and then Biblothica - Qeit El Bay and back from Queit El Bay - Misr Station. I believe yellow tram operate this route! I have only 6 hours transit in Alexandria......can i make a trip from El Nozha airport to Misr Station @14:00 hrs, buy my ticket to cairo (20:15 hrs) and go for a quick tram tour from misr station-corniche-library-queit el bay and back to misr station..............! thx

1 Answer Jul 27, 2009 at 4:46 AM
    • Need help identifying a scented product from the Alexandria City Centre Mall

Alexandria Jun 1, 2009 at 1:32 PM

I was at the City Centre Mall in Alexandria in January and I came across a small kiosk in the mall that sold essential oils and perfumes. The vendor also had a basket of what appeared to be chunks of soap in a basket by the cash register. I was told that it wasn't soap but you used it to rub on your skin after showering. The scent was absolutely heavenly and I....can't remember what it was!!!!! The chunks are orange/gold in color, about 2cm thick and of varying sizes and the scent had a sweetness to it that lasts forever, but is not cloying. Please help me identify this item (and where I could possibly purchase it by mail) as I am not in the position to travel back to Egypt right at this moment to find it :) Thank you

3 Answers May 23, 2010 at 9:24 AM
    • Damanhour - Alexandria

Alexandria Feb 24, 2009 at 9:34 AM

Hi
      I want to visit Alexandria then Damanhour and a place near there that was called El Rico (my family lived there a long time ago) there seems very little info about Damanhour, hotels, station etc I'm wondering if I should stay in Alexandria and just visit Damanhour I'v no idea what is there now. Also it seems hard to find hotels that are neither luxury tourist hotels or back packers hostels. Anyone got any ideas
      Thanks in advance
      laurinda

1 Answer Feb 24, 2009 at 1:48 PM
    • cairo to alexandria airport

Alexandria Feb 12, 2009 at 9:26 AM

hi, how far is Alexandria El Borg airport from Cairo Pyramid area. I see that we need to take highway #11. How much would a taxi cost one way and how long would it take. The thing is I am trying to see if it is practical (safe- as we would be travelling in the evening)to take a flight out of Alexandria instaed of Cairo as the flights are much cheaper. I want to know if its worth the hassle including the extra taxi fare.

3 Answers Feb 14, 2009 at 6:34 AM
    • olgaehr's Profile Photo

Cairo - Alexandria buying tickets

Alexandria Jan 29, 2009 at 9:37 PM

Should I go through all the trouble to buy tickets Cairo - Alexandria and back with a travel agent or should I just get the tickets on the day we go to Alexandria.

6 Answers Feb 3, 2009 at 12:16 AM
    • aussiecouple's Profile Photo

Walking from cruise ship to Pompey's Pillar

Alexandria Jan 26, 2009 at 8:52 PM

Is it possible to walk from the Cruise Terminal to Pompey's Pillar and then to the Catacombs? We are fit 50 somethings and will be in Alexandria in September so not too hot.

3 Answers Jun 19, 2009 at 6:03 AM
    • need a recomended guide

Alexandria Jan 18, 2009 at 11:42 AM

My husband and I will be in Alexandria in Feb:
      We would like a guide for the following:

3 Answers Jan 20, 2009 at 4:33 AM