Muar Travel Answers

change location
robertalou's Profile Photo

Muar and Pari sulong

by robertalou Online Now Jun 30, 2012 at 2:48 AM

How do i get to Muar from Changi via the Pari Sulong
I wish to trace my fathers foots steps he was in the battle of Muar and lost friends at pari sulong

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • 1jabbar's Profile Photo

Re: Muar and Pari sulong

by 1jabbar Online Now Jun 30, 2012 at 7:12 PM

You might want to first cross the Singapore/Malaysia border into Johore Bahru, the Malay city at the end of the border causeway into Malaysia. Their long didtance bus station is called the Larkin station...you could catch a bus there that would take you direct to Muar. But if you don't mind spending more$, I'm sure there are are other ways, directly from Changi or downtown Singapore (Sing. has a fabulosly modern inner rail system to get you around). My wife is from Muar, so have been there 5-6 times, and although not very well known, it is a great little, bustling city with good food, decent accomadation, many banks etc. Good luck. If you have other questions send me an email.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Muar and Pari sulong

by mahstalleh Online Now Aug 19, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Come off the south to north highway at the 2nd Yong Peng exit. After the toll bear right at the T junction (for Muar). If you first want to visit Muar, then go further up the highway and take the Pagoh exit (then left at T junction after the toll). To head back to Parit Sulong you then follow Jalan Bentayan/Jalan Bakri out of the town)
    But coming north, just keep on that road and you'll eventually (perhaps 35-40 minutes later) cross the river at Parit Sulong where (the bridge there) the "last stand" took place against the Japanese offensive.
    You can then carry on that same road towards Muar, s this is the route South which the Japanese took. There was also an attempt at resistance at Bukit Bakri (about 10kms south of Muar town) after the Japaanese had crossed Sungei Muar, and before the allied troops retreated and retrenched at Parit Sulong. The resistance comprised Malaysian, Indian and ANZAC troops, the British (apart from a small number) having legged it to Singapore well before the Japanese arrived "You fellahs are more accustomed to this hot weather, we need some air conditioning". My uncerstanding is that most of the surviving allied troops went across country from Parit Sulong to Batu Pahat, from where they took boats either to Singapore or Sumatra. If you google "the battle of Muar", you will find some very interesting accounts of these events, which included some heroic deeds.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines