Mount Rushmore National Memorial

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Road trip for a family of five which include 3 teenagers

Rapid City Apr 12, 2014 at 7:59 AM

My family and I are flying in to Rapid City in mid July our plans are to drive and visit the 1880's Town, Badlands, and Wall Drug then travel to Keystone where we would spend 2 nights while there we will visit the Needles, Mt. Rushmore and the Wind Cave. Travel to Sturgis visit the Motorcycle Museum, catch the Wild Bill Hickok reenactment in Deadwood, and Spearfish Canyon then stay 1 night at lodging in Deadwood. Travel to the Devil's Tower then head to the Battle of Little Big Horn in Mt., then travel to Cody, Wy where we would stay for 3 days, I'm not quite sure what there's to do in Cody for 3 days. Then head to Yellowstone for 3 days. My husband wants to stay at Yellowstone Under Canvas for the three nights, but I think that's too many nights. While in Yellowstone we would like to visit the Mud Pots, Mammoth Hot Springs, Old Faithful and go hiking, however we never hiked before. 3 days in Jackson Hole. While in Jackson Hole we want to go whitewater rafting, visit Grand Teton, and do the Cover Dinner Wagon. My kids would like to go horseback riding, but I don't know where I should add this to the itinerary. I would like this to be a trip that my teenage childrens would remember. Is there any recommendation of things we should eliminate or add to the list of things to do and see on our trip? Also what would be best scenic route to take? Thanks

more
    • Is a week too long

by gambo6 Online Now Dec 29, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Is there enough to do to stay in that area considering it is only sightseeing-- and no skiing or big time hiking or fishing .

7 Answers Jan 3, 2014 at 4:11 PM
    • chrisrandonneur's Profile Photo

how to get there without a car

by chrisrandonneur Online Now May 21, 2013 at 6:07 AM

I'm planning a rail trip around the states so where would be the nearest station and buses

10 Answers May 23, 2013 at 1:13 PM
    • Looking for RV park near Mt Rushmore

by howie60 Online Now May 28, 2012 at 4:22 AM

Hi, I am looking for an RV park near Mt Rushmore to stay for the night. Will be coming from SW Michigan through Mt Rushmore to Yellowstone. I will have a 40' RV with a dog. Not sure who will still have openings for the end of June. Also, what else is there interesting to see on the way out to Yellowstone?

6 Answers May 28, 2012 at 2:41 PM
    • Time required to see this area

by brown_devil Online Now May 13, 2012 at 5:39 PM

We are planning a trip to the Mt. Rushmore and surrounding areas in July. We are trying to decide how much time to allow to see this area without feeling rushed. Would 7 days be enough to see everything (Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Wall, Badlands, etc). Thanks for any information you can provide.

Michael

10 Answers May 16, 2012 at 6:42 AM
    • JAN53's Profile Photo

CUSTER STATE PARK WILDLIFE LOOP SCENIC BYWAY/NORBECK SCENIC BYWAY

by JAN53 Online Now Jul 19, 2011 at 11:11 AM

We are travelling from the UK to see Mount Rushmore this September and from there would like to travel the Custer State Park wildlife loop and the Peter Norbeck scenic route and it seems that these might be the same route as I can't seem to find out exactly where they run and whether it's possible to do all of this in one day. If any one has any information they think could help us we would be grateful.

1 Answer Jul 19, 2011 at 8:39 PM
    • csuresh's Profile Photo

Travel from Minneapolis to Mount Rushmore- Query

by csuresh Online Now Jun 23, 2011 at 9:42 PM

I have been exploring various travel options during the July 4 long weekend. One of the idea is to travel to Mount Rushmore. Plan is to start day 1 afternoon and stay in a location inbetween like sioux falls (approx: 240 miles). Then travel the rest next day and see Mount Rushmore in the evening of day 2. Visit again day 3 morning and then spend time in seeing other attractions like Crazy horse etc till day 3 afternoon and stay travelling 250+ miles towards minneapolis to return back on day. Questions I have is, how will the traffic in this route, any travel tips and attractions outside President's memorial. I also travelling with 2 kids aged 6 and 2.5 and attractions suiting them will be of greathelp.

4 Answers Jul 7, 2011 at 5:20 PM
    • Were to Stay In Mt Rushmore

by KathyPindras Online Now Jun 12, 2011 at 5:38 PM

Hi,
      Planning a trip to Mt Rushmore were is a good place to stay, thinking Keystone or is there some were better to stay?? and is there alot to do in keystone!!
      We will be driving to mt rushmore!!
      Need Help,
      Kathy

1 Answer Jun 13, 2011 at 10:25 AM
    • Price

by yoyoup Online Now Nov 6, 2010 at 1:51 PM

How much does it cost to JUST visit Mt Rushmore?

4 Answers Nov 8, 2010 at 9:15 AM
    • Dymphna1's Profile Photo

Camping reservation

by Dymphna1 Online Now Apr 22, 2010 at 10:02 PM

My son's FIL made camping reservations at a Oreville campground near the park. I am having a dickens of a time finding a link to be able to make another reservation near them. I was invited, but was not sure I could go until after he made the reservation.

3 Answers Aug 1, 2010 at 6:30 PM
    • Is three days enough to see everything in the Mount Rushmore area?

by LSpin716 Online Now Mar 27, 2009 at 9:20 AM

Good Day Everyone,

We are planning our first trip to South Dakota for the September 2009 timeframe. Our plan is to fly into Denver, drive up through Wyoming (making stops along the way) and then head to the Mount Rushmore area. After pouring through our AAA guides, AAA maps, and National Park Books, we have a pretty good idea of what National Parks we want to go to. We are thinking of staying in the Mount Rushmore area for 3 days (1 day trip to Devil's Tower/Deadwood/Sturgis and 1 day trip out to Wall (Wall Drug of course), Minuteman Missile, and Badlands and the third day check out Mt. Rushmore, Jewel Cave, Wind Cave, etc. We are trying to get a feel if we should stay there 3 days or 4. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

7 Answers Mar 24, 2010 at 8:09 AM
    • tracyskf's Profile Photo

Mount Rushmore in summer 2008

by tracyskf Online Now Dec 21, 2007 at 4:44 PM

Hi there,
      Planning my trip in summer 2008 - I intend to fly in to Nebraska, and have a driving trip.

1. How far is it to drive to Mount Rushmore from Lincoln, Nebraska?
      2. When is the best time to visit Mount Rushmore?
      3. Which is the best spot for photos of Mount Rushmore?
      4. Is it worthwhile to stay until evening to watch the illumination?
      5. Where are other places worthwhile stopping by?

Thanks in advance!

16 Answers Mar 23, 2010 at 9:58 AM
    • Airport

by SETTLEJUNCTION Online Now Sep 5, 2007 at 4:02 PM

what is the name of the nearest airport to mt rushmore

3 Answers Mar 24, 2010 at 9:31 AM
    • Presidential walk

by pjboston Online Now Jul 13, 2007 at 6:14 AM

How difficult a climb is the Presidential Walk? It looks like there is some sort of handicapped access, but I would prefer to walk it if possible. Thanks.

2 Answers Aug 11, 2008 at 12:18 PM
    • Packerman's Profile Photo

Besides the look

by Packerman Online Now Jun 27, 2005 at 6:45 AM

Is there anything else to do but look at the huge monument at this place?

4 Answers Aug 2, 2005 at 4:01 PM
    • Lodging in South Dakota

by RTTD Online Now Jun 12, 2005 at 7:09 AM

We will spend 4 days in the rapid city area. Can you share information about Mount Rushmore area Lodges? Do you need to see Mt Rushmore at night? Would you stay the Deadwood area too? I can stay at a Holiday Inn at home. Looking for something more unigue and local.

1 Answer Jun 21, 2005 at 8:28 AM
    • chickky311's Profile Photo

how long of a trip should i plan?

by chickky311 Online Now Apr 5, 2005 at 1:59 PM

I am planning a trip to the Black Hills area in June and was thinking about spending 4 nights in Rapid City. Is this enough time to see everything I should see there (Mt Rushmore, Crazyhorse, Badlands, etc)? I was also thinking about heading up to Deadwood also, any idea what fun things there are to do there? Any info would help.

10 Answers Sep 23, 2008 at 8:37 PM
    • Need Info about Mt. Rushmore

by Ulik Online Now Jul 3, 2003 at 1:24 PM

I am planning a trip there, but it is a stop on a longer drive. I was just wondering if I needed a whole day at Mt. Rushmore, of if it could be a "stop-and-look" before heading for the Hotel for the night. Any help would be appreciated. Ulik.

8 Answers Nov 21, 2003 at 6:36 PM