Mount Rushmore National Memorial Travel Answers

change location

Time required to see this area

by brown_devil Online Now May 13, 2012 at 5:39 PM

We are planning a trip to the Mt. Rushmore and surrounding areas in July. We are trying to decide how much time to allow to see this area without feeling rushed. Would 7 days be enough to see everything (Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Wall, Badlands, etc). Thanks for any information you can provide.

Michael

Quote & Answer
10 Answers
  • goodfish's Profile Photo

Re: Time required to see this area

by goodfish Online Now May 13, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Where are you coming from and are you driving?

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Time required to see this area

by brown_devil Online Now May 13, 2012 at 6:53 PM

I am coming from Rhode Island and I will be flying in to Rapid City.

Michael

• EllenH's Profile Photo

by EllenH Online Now May 13, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Hi Michael,
    And from Rapid city will you be driving? I can't think more then 3 days would be necessary if you even spend one whole day at rushmore, crazy horse, and the badlands. Wall? well that is about an hour east and hardly a destination. If you are driving west and have to look at those signs for 100 miles, it is a good place to stop for a drink or a bathroom break, but to go out of your way...? If you have ever been to south of the border in south carolina it is much the same kind of tourist trap.

by brown_devil Online Now May 14, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Thanks for the replies. I will be driving from Rapid City. So to see the whole Black Hills area 7 days would be too much it seems.

Thanks,

Michael

• goodfish's Profile Photo

by goodfish Online Now May 14, 2012 at 2:54 AM

I wasn't sure if you would be driving to/from your home city over those 7 days (or how far away that might be) or flying so it makes a difference. Agree with Ellen that 3 days is plenty to do this as Rushmore/Crazy Horse are just viewing sites with nothing else to do there, and Wall is essential a big store so....

You can see what's available to do at Badlands National Park here:

nps.gov/badl/planyourvisit/u...

Worthwhile park, for sure, but if not a hiker, a day or so will be more than enough.

by lisa85202 Online Now May 14, 2012 at 7:30 AM

That was our summer vacation destination several years back and I want to recommend a drive through Custer State Park. If you like wildlife..it is beautiful, the highlight is all the wild buffalo roaming, and they gather all around the street and right up by the car. If you have extra time and are traveling with kids, Reptile Gardens is a really fun place. 7 days is PLENTY, and maybe a bit much...3-4 days would be ideal. Have fun!

• EllenH's Profile Photo

by EllenH Online Now May 14, 2012 at 10:41 AM

I would also recommend Custer state park. We saw many bison and then we went to the mammoth site, kids loved that. We also went to Wind cave national park. I was never claustrophobic before that...I am now.

by brown_devil Online Now May 14, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Thanks all. Our plan was to see all the Black Hills area with maybe a trip out to the Devils Tower. We do enjoy driving around and it looks like there are several scenic drives in the area. Maybe a little hiking thrown in.

Michael

• karen_mo's Profile Photo

by karen_mo Online Now May 14, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Well, we did this area in 7 days, we were tent camping mostly. I loved the area and was surprised how much there was to see. We did Custer City, Custer State Park (which has lots to it) Wind Cave, Hot Springs and the Mammoth fossil site (fascinating), Mount Rushmore and the Iron Mountain Road, Badlands National park, Crazy Horse memorial and Wall. After the 7 days we ended up at Sturgis for the crazy bike fest!
    You wouldn't feel rushed in 7 days, but I'm sure you'd be able to fill the time too, depending on your interests.

• Dymphna1's Profile Photo

by Dymphna1 Online Now May 16, 2012 at 6:42 AM

There is a great deal to do in the Black Hills. We have taken week vacations there. I have a great deal on my travel pages for it. If you go to my Mt Rushmore page there are links all over for it.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines