Mount Rushmore National Memorial Travel Answers

change location

Presidential walk

by pjboston Online Now Jul 13, 2007 at 6:14 AM

How difficult a climb is the Presidential Walk? It looks like there is some sort of handicapped access, but I would prefer to walk it if possible. Thanks.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Re: Presidential walk

by ChomFa Online Now Jul 14, 2007 at 8:05 PM

Hello. This is a bit off topic but I hope you don't mind.
    I'm assuming you are disabled, as I am - left leg amputee, no prosthetic, wheelchair usually, but also small distances on crutches.
    I'm also going to the US in '08. Do you have disability info for many places in America? Please share!
    I want to see Glacier NP as well as Yellowstone, Tetons, Bryce Canyon, Beartooth, Monument. Any advise about disabiltity accessibility would be gratefully received.
    Thanks in advance

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • CaptainLarry's Profile Photo

Re: Presidential walk

by CaptainLarry Online Now Aug 11, 2008 at 12:18 PM

To do the complete circle of the Presidential Walk is close to a mile (1,600 meters) with about 200 steps. After passing through the Aisle of the States you come to the top of the amphitheater. You can go either right or left to get to Walk of the Presidents. To the right you go down the 200 steps almost immediatly, and they are kind of rough-hewn stone steps. Then you start a gradual climb on what is basically a boardwalk. It is smooth and even and the steps are spaced out so that you climb 10 or 15 steps and then walk on level or slight rise for several feet before coming to the next set of steps. The last 500 meters or so is basically level. If you go left from the top of the amphitheater, you have the smooth, level part first. It is wheelchair accessible and takes you to where the closest view of the sculpture is obtained. In fact you are really "looking up Jefferson's nose." So the walk will accommodate persons of any ability level, but you should be fairly fit to do the whole walk. Remember, the altitude is about 7,500 feet (2,300 meters).

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Mount Rushmore National Memorial