Mount Gambier Travel Answers

change location
mavis77's Profile Photo

Moving

by mavis77 Online Now Feb 7, 2007 at 8:41 PM

I just broke up with my partner and Im looking for a new place to live, after much research I came up with Mount Gambier. So what do the locals think, do you recommend it? I will coming all the way from sunny queensland (where in response to another persons blog we have level 5 water restrictions! - so im looking forward to seeing all that water in the lake!) So should I make the big move?

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • RE: Moving

by gerrypmac Online Now Feb 8, 2007 at 9:51 PM

I have visited Mt Gambier on the way through to Adelaide on two occasions. a nice town for a number of reasons, but a long way from other major centres depending on what your interests are. Difficult to comment further without knowing why your research suggested Mt Gambier is the place to go...It could well be for you... but surely not going for the water?...the "blue" lake is relatively small by the way but worth a look at. Anyway if you need to move on it could be a good first step. best wishes

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • mavis77's Profile Photo

RE: Moving

by mavis77 Online Now Feb 8, 2007 at 10:22 PM

Well I researched all the potential jobs in my career and what the rent is like compared to where I am now and it seemed to be a lot cheaper. I wouldnt be going for the water but it would make a nice change to be able to wash the car and not get an on the spot fine! Is there much to do around that area? All you can really do where im from is go a bns and drink. Id like to be able to have a nice fun weekend with out drinking, take my dogs bushwalking or something, can you do that there?

• RE: RE: Moving

by tryhard Online Now Feb 9, 2007 at 7:28 PM

Hi,
    I live in Naracoorte, an hours drive north from Mt.Gambier. Mt. Gambier is a largish regional town/city. It is generally drought proof (even now) and also has underground water supplies. Unemployment rates are very low as they are in much of our south east region. There is a lot you can do there! There are many areas you can go bushwalking and the like. As well the beach is not far away. Also the Glenelg river area over near Nelson (a short drive) is a beautiful area for fishing, walking, camping etc. Sport is a big thing and the sports facilities are excellent. The weather will be VERY different. Winters are cold, rainy, windy. Average temp around 12-16 deg C. Autumn is lovely with lots of mild to warm fine days. Summers can be scorching hot, although Mt. Gambier is often a couple of degrees cooler than here. Still, summer days can get up to 40 deg. C. with the average probably around 32-34ish.
    You may well find house prices/rent more affordable. Shopping is fairly good, but as mentioned its a long drive to either Adelaide or Melbourne (4 hours to each).

• Kate-Me's Profile Photo

RE: Moving

by Kate-Me Online Now Mar 5, 2007 at 10:16 PM

We've got friends living in Mt Gambier, and we love visiting it - nice houses constructed from limestone, character in the city buildings, lots to do, especially if you like limestone caves, as there are heaps.
    The only issue my friends have (the wife is from Taiwan) is that it isn't very multicultural, mainly a white population there, but that could change eventually with regional migration schemes in place at the moment which are changing my city (Ballarat Victoria) quite a bit.

It's so nice to be able to visit a city that's actually green, though with the drought, it's nowhere as wet there as it has been in the past.

Good luck!
    Kate

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines