Mount Gambier Travel Answers

change location
Chuq's Profile Photo

Driving Melb -> Adel

by Chuq Online Now Oct 26, 2003 at 4:38 AM

My wife and I will be driving from Melbourne, to Adelaide and back again in February. We have allowed about 2-3 days each way, hopefully one way via Mt Gambier and the other way via Horsham. Does anyone have any recommendations of things we shouldn't miss on these routes?

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • CandS's Profile Photo

Re: Driving Melb -> Adel

by CandS Online Now Oct 26, 2003 at 12:35 PM

We drove Melbourne to Adelaide in 2001 and had a great time... Almost the whole length of the Great Ocean Road is gorgeous... In particular we loved the petrified forest, Cape Bridgewater (great walk!), 12 Apostles and London Bridge. You can find more info on my Port Campbell page. I haven't been via Horsham though as far as I can remember...although many friends have said the Grampians are fantastic... Good luck!!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Kate-Me's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Driving Melb -> Adel

by Kate-Me Online Now Nov 19, 2003 at 8:21 PM

Definitely don't miss Mt Gambier - I try to go there a few times each year and I still haven't seen everything! Easy to spend a whole weekend there....the blue lake, many caves, nice gardens, sinkholes, limestone buildings...very nice indeed. And then there's Naracoorte, about 100 kms north...bat cave, more caves, fossil caves (but not a lot else in the town itself, unlike Mt Gambier, pop 30,000 and plenty of shopping etc). Ballarat is great (though it took me a few years to figure this out as I take it a bit for granted since I was born there and still live there). Botanical gardens, a great lake, Birdworld, Sovereign Hill, Gold Museum (lots of stuff on all this on my pages) Been to Adelaide via Horsham only once and found it rather boring (apart from the Grampians, which are also really great and worth days on their own) Horsham area mostly wheat farming, rather dry, flat, pretty uninteresting to me and it doesn't improve much for about 6 more hours driving when you're about 1 hour from Adelaide. Via Mt Gambier on the other hand, plenty of medium sized towns to see with their own attractions, State Parks, hills, mountains, etc. Much more interesting. Hope this helps!

• Chuq's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Driving Melb -> Adel

by Chuq Online Now Jan 11, 2004 at 8:14 PM

Thanks for the information guys... We have decided to make our Ballarat visit a day trip from Melbourne; (we are actually from Hobart and will be taking the ferry from Devonport to Melbourne, staying 5 nights in Melb first). We will then drive to Adelaide direct in one day, without stopping; spend 10 nights in Adelaide, and then return via the Great Ocean Road with stops in both Mt Gambier, and Port Campbell. It should be good :)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines