change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• No Question Title

by GLCQuantum Online Now Mar 5, 2014 at 4:58 AM

Hi guys,

I'm sure I'll be shot down by a few for even asking this question. I know how ridiculous it must sound to the seasoned
      climber.
      I'll give you a bit of a background of myself...

I'm an athlete - have been for 22 years. I try to keep myself in good shape and cycle/run daily. The thought of climbing Everest is all that's on my mind for the moment. I understand all the dangers that comes with it, of course. I've travelled 20 countries and am currently residing in Thailand. My questions are...

• Is it possible to be doing the climb from being a guy with no experience - in three years time?
      • I've looked at a lot of websites and it seems I'm gonna need around 50 - 100,000 dollars to do it. Is this a good figure on how much it's going to cost me?
      • What kind of training should one take up if he was considering an Everest climb?
      • Am I being delusional thinking that this could even be possible for a person (of no experience) like myself.

6 Answers Mar 5, 2014 at 5:25 PM
    • Camp or not to camp on Everest and Gokyo trek

by 60103guy Online Now Feb 26, 2014 at 7:17 AM

With two weeks away from my departure to Nepal. I still don't know if I should bring my tent with me. I have a Big Agnes Slater UL2 (3 season) tent. It’s around 2 lbs and 15 ounces. My plan is to stay with locals as well, but I was thinking it might be nice to camp once in a while.

What is your opinion?

6 Answers Mar 9, 2014 at 12:18 PM
    • Susanmb12's Profile Photo

Would like some advice about the EBC trek please

by Susanmb12 Online Now Feb 20, 2014 at 7:11 PM

EBC trek advice needed!!
      So this might be a lot but if anyone can help me out I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance

So Im a 25 year old American female traveling solo to Nepal mid March for a month. My main thing is to do the EBC trek and possibly make it to Gokyo too and I would like to walk in from Jiri. I get to Katmandu March 10 and leave April 10. Do you think this is possible?

1. Hiring a guide? I'm just curious on general prices of going with a guide and if its highly recommended or if I can do it on my own and what the money difference would be. I was thinking if I met anyone else that wanted to be trekking buddies that would be welcome. I know it's probably not safest to go trekking totally alone.

2. My original plan is do the long way in via Jiri and fly out of Lukla. I'm super iffy on that airport, but I know everyone says I'll survive and it will be awesome, I'm just a bit wary but I'm not going to walk in AND out. Has anyone done the walk via Jiri? How is it? Does anyone have a suggested itinerary?

3. Visas, TIMS, park passes, etc. what exactly do I need, where can I get them easiest and how much?

4. Clothing wise, I know it will be cold especially at night. I currently live in Thailand so I don't exactly have thermals and all that wonderful stuff here, nor am I sure if its available (I live in Chiang Rai and will be in Chiang Mai prior to departure so if you know somewhere please let me know). I do have a pair of under armor leggings and a long sleeve shirt and a NorthFace fleece that I have from skiing that got me through Thailand's "cold" season. Are there places in Katmandu to buy these when I get there? Also what's an ideal packing list? I want to pack as light as possible and am not concerned with wearing the same thing multiple times obviously. Socks wise...are good ones and the liners available in Katmandu? Same with gloves, I've seen packing suggestions saying being three separate pairs but that seems like overkill.

5. I've heard you can rent equipment in Katmandu pretty cheap? Sleeping bag wise I would like to rent rather than buy and preferably a very warm one. I have heard you can rent down jackets in Namche as well because before there you maybe don't need it as much. Is this advisable or would you suggest renting in Katmandu? I wouldn't want to get up there and not be able to get a jacket.

6. My shoes. I have a pair of what I would call hiking sneakers, not so much boots (Merrell) from home. Would these be ok for the trail (I actually don't know if they are waterproof) or should I look I to buying a new pair in Nepal? Money is kind of tight.

7. Any other advice anyone has? Absolute essentials to bring or not bring?

Thank you so much!

7 Answers Feb 22, 2014 at 4:48 PM
    • Taking fuel to Nepal

by 60103guy Online Now Jan 24, 2014 at 8:13 PM

Is it allowed to bring from US to Nepal fuel canister?

4 Answers Jan 25, 2014 at 5:32 PM
    • Where are Taweche Towers located in Nepal

by 60103guy Online Now Jan 16, 2014 at 10:17 AM

Does anyone know how to get to these towers, to stand there:

johnloguk.smugmug.com/galler...

3 Answers Jan 16, 2014 at 4:04 PM
    • SPOT GPS to work in Nepal - Mt Everest Trek

by 60103guy Online Now Jan 3, 2014 at 1:16 PM

I'm planning a trip to Nepal, to Mt. Everest Trek in March and wanted to know if SPOT GPS works there.
      http://www.findmespot.com/

Thanks

3 Answers Jan 4, 2014 at 6:47 AM
    • Best time of the year to visit Everest Base camp

by sattar_8068 Online Now Nov 13, 2013 at 6:05 AM

Is December/January a good time of the year to go to Base Camp Everest?

4 Answers Nov 14, 2013 at 7:38 AM
    • IPhone SIM Card in Kathmandu

by 60103guy Online Now Nov 4, 2013 at 8:11 AM

I own a IPhone, which is unlocked. I was wondering where I can buy a SIM card in Kathmandu, so that I can call U.S.

Plus, is it better to order the SIM card from U.S. or just get it in Kathmandu?

3 Answers Nov 4, 2013 at 12:53 PM
    • Travel Agent - Can you suggest one. Looking to buy a flight to Lukla.

by 60103guy Online Now Oct 21, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Can you suggest a good agency to purchase ticket to Lukla. Thank you.

1 Answer Jan 27, 2014 at 6:44 AM
    • Is it worth to camp/in tent on the way to Mt Everest Base Camp

by 60103guy Online Now Oct 21, 2013 at 8:37 PM

I know that most of you stay with locals when trekking to base camp of Mt Everest. But, what is your opinion about camping/tenting? Do you think it's a good idea? Please give me your opinion. Thank you.

11 Answers Nov 6, 2013 at 5:33 AM
    • Booking ticket in U.S from Kathmandu to Lukla. How to get one?

by 60103guy Online Now Oct 21, 2013 at 12:37 PM

I'm planning a trip in March 2014, and would like to book a flight from Kathmandu to Lukla. Most places want me to email them a copy of my passport and credit card information via email.
      I land on March 15th at 11:45AM in Kathmandu. I want to get on the first flight on March 16th to Lukla.

Question 1: What is the best way to get a ticket to Lukla via secure way.
      Question 2: How many weeks, or months ahead of time should I purchase my ticket?

Thanks,

1 Answer Oct 21, 2013 at 1:53 PM
    • Staying a night at Mt Everest Base Camp - Nepal

by 60103guy Online Now Oct 15, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Do I need a permit a camp a night at Mt. Everest Base Camp? I'm going solo.

Thanks,

2 Answers Oct 15, 2013 at 6:24 PM
    • axwell's Profile Photo

Trekking Companies in Nepal

by axwell Online Now Oct 7, 2013 at 2:41 PM

I am travelling to Nepal in early November and planning to trek to Everest Base camp and Gokyo lakes, the tour company I planned to use is no longer running the trek to suit my dates.
      I would be grateful if anyone can recommend a suitable company

6 Answers Dec 7, 2013 at 8:16 AM
    • medical and fitness restrictions for EBC trekking

by seanw89 Online Now Jul 3, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Hi all,
      I am planning to do EBC trekking early next year and I would like some advices from more experienced trekkers.
      My questions are;

1. Is there fitness restrictions? (i'm in my mid 20s in a good shape)
      2. Any medical restrictions? (I do have flat feet)

Thank you all,

2 Answers Jul 8, 2013 at 10:03 PM
    • MarkM102's Profile Photo

base camp,14 Aug,2013

by MarkM102 Online Now Jun 27, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Heading to base camp form Kuala on 14Aug 2013 and was looking for a climbing partner or group?I'm a 28 yr old male from Ireland and climbing alone.climbed Kilimanjaro last year and looking for another challenge.would appreciate any advise,cheers

2 Answers Jul 2, 2013 at 3:08 PM
    • Adimo's Profile Photo

Sleeping Bag for November 2013 Trek

by Adimo Online Now Jun 21, 2013 at 8:59 AM

We are attempting the EBC trek this November staying in tea houses.

I am having a bit of trouble trying to work out exactly what rating sleeping bag we should take on the Trek. Both my wife and I have -2 (celsius) bags which we will use for travelling through india and china (either side of the EBC trek)
      but I am not convinced that -2 would sufficient for the EBC on its own.

I have the Deuter Trek Lite 300 - deuter.com/en/DE/product/6-8... and was planning on boosting the comfort rating with a thermal sleeping bag liner which should get me at least to -10 celcius)

ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk/...

I figured that if that was not enough, then I could always use the blankets that are apparently at the tea houses - or wear all my clothes.

Has anyone tried this before - or is able to give me any guidance on this?

4 Answers Jun 24, 2013 at 11:17 AM
    • AmandeepB's Profile Photo

everest base camp

by AmandeepB Online Now May 31, 2013 at 9:20 PM

M frm patiala, punjab india. M planning to go to EBC alone in nov or dec this year. I hv a vry small budget. I cant afford pacages. Cant afford to let big money ruin my dream. Can anyone let me know the chespest kathmandu-ebc-kathmandu 15 day trek?? Or ne1 frm north india interested in going with me?

2 Answers Jun 1, 2013 at 12:36 PM
    • where to start?

by dlasley4 Online Now May 29, 2013 at 10:30 AM

I'm an experienced big wall climber and have recently become interested with the idea oh climbing everest but I'm not sure where to start. I need someone to shoot me in the right direction. Advice on guided vs private parties, training, books to read, or a preferred website to learn more would greatly be appreciated.

2 Answers May 29, 2013 at 6:50 PM
    • I'm thinking of going 2016 with Jagged Globe

by GarethD Online Now Apr 23, 2013 at 2:17 AM

Has anyone used them before. Their websit elooks great and is clearly very experineced on the South Side. Anygood? http://dev.jagged-globe.co.uk/

1 Answer Apr 23, 2013 at 4:36 AM
    • Which travel company to go with?

by VixScot Online Now Mar 17, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Hi there, I am planning to go to EBC in November this year. As I'm going as a single travelling female I want to go through a reputable travel agency. There are a couple in Britain which I am looking at, Safejourneys & Nepal Uncovered. Both seem to be relatively cheap compared to some of the other sites advertising, one of them almost half the cost. I am wondering if anyone has experience of either of these companys and finally why do you think there is such a huge margin between prices from different companys when they are all offering the same trek? Your feedback will be gratefully appreciated. Thanks.

12 Answers Jun 10, 2013 at 9:22 AM
    • equipment hire from Kathmandu

by mp_hike Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 2:45 AM

i am preparing to climb base camp in april/may 2013. I am not sure if it worth buying new gear or can i hire from Kathmandu? I need down jacket, crampons, ice axe, walking poles, gaiters, waterproof snow pants and jackets etc, how good or well stocked are the local shops in Kathmandu? appreciate feed back from people who have been there

4 Answers Nov 7, 2013 at 9:20 AM
    • Paulyp25's Profile Photo

Cheaper booking in Kathmadu?

by Paulyp25 Online Now Sep 28, 2012 at 5:48 AM

Hi guys,

I'm just after a little advice on a trip to everest base camp.

Me and my bro are planning a 12 day trek in late april/ early may 2013. After the trip we are travelling onwards through asia and australia so like a lot of travellers we are trying to keep the costs down. In my experiences of travelling so far I have always found it less costly to book a tour with a local travel agent when you arrive at the destination. So I was wondering if we should wait until we arrive in kathmandu and book the trek there for a better price. Does any one know the rough cost of a 12 day trek to EBC including all costs (flight to lukla etc) when booked in kathandu?

Any info would be great. Thanks!

Paul

2 Answers Oct 4, 2012 at 7:30 AM
    • Where to buy trekking poles in Kathmandu?

by rmsturm Online Now Sep 7, 2012 at 3:28 PM

I will be leaving for my trek to Everest Base Camp in 6 weeks. I want to get trekking poles and a sleeping bag liner in Kathmandu. What shops would someone recommend that I can get these two items in Kathmandu? Where are they in Kathmandu? Could I get these two items in Namache Bazaar?

Thanks in advance.

6 Answers Sep 9, 2012 at 6:23 AM
    • Tsetsgee's Profile Photo

Independant Everest Base Camp

by Tsetsgee Online Now Jul 9, 2012 at 4:07 PM

For my first time in Nepal I am planning to head to Everest Base camp and back past Gokyo over Cho La Pass in or around April 2013. At the moment I am planning for around 15 days with and extra 2 days in case they are needed for any reason or if we feel like spending an extra day somewhere.
      Any opinions or advice on the itinerary I have planned would be much appreciated.
      We are not interested in doing this trek with a tour group as we would just like to enjoy it at our own pace, but, we would definitely like to hire a guide somewhere along the way. Maybe not the whole way but I have heard that from Namche for sure and it is a great help to have local eyes and knowledge over Cho La pass. So also any advice on hiring a guide would also be appreciated.
      And one last question, I realise that april is a pretty good time to be trekking through there but how busy is it actually on the trail around that time?
      Day 1. Lukla – Phakding / Monju
      Depending on how we feel we might pass Phakding and head to Monju
      Day 2. Phakding / Monju – Namche
      Day 3. Rest Day in Namche
      Do day walk to acclimatise
      Day 4. Namche – Tengboche / Deboche
      Day 5. Tengboche / Dingboche
      Day 6. Rest Day in Dingboche
      Do day walk to acclimatise
      Day 7. Dingboche – Lobuche
      Day 8/9. Lobuche – Gorak Shep – Lobuche
      Gorak Shep – Kalar Patar
      Gorak Shep – Base Camp
      Day 10. Lobuche – Dzonglha
      Day 11. Dzonglha – Dragnag
      Day 12. Dragnag – Gokyo
      Gokyo Ri
      Day 13. Gokyo – Dole
      Day 14. Dole – Namche
      Day 15. Namche - Lukla

19 Answers Oct 19, 2013 at 12:29 PM
    • miki64's Profile Photo

planning my mounth in Nepal

by miki64 Online Now Jul 3, 2012 at 6:39 AM

My first time to Nepal I’m beginning plan of my trip.
      I begin from the last part of my Itinerary. I would like stay in Tengboche during the Mani Ridu Festival that start 14 november (if I’m not wrong). I don’t like to fly to Lukla, so How to plan?
      1 option : Kathmandu-Jiri by Bus. Trekking Jiri – Tengboche – How many day top plan including back to Kathmandu? (I could fly from Lukla )
      2 option: can I reach Lukla by bus? In this case I read this:
      Day 1.Lukla to Phakding
      Day 2.Phakding to Namche Bazaar
      Day 3. Acclimatization day at Namche
      Day 4.Namche to Tengboche

I would like to do indipendently with a porter I need permits?
      Is november too could for good treekking? I red there is no rain, (or not a lot) is it correct?
      Could you tell me the trekking route from jiri to tengboche?

Any other suggestion could be appreciate hoping to do a wanderful experience

16 Answers Jul 20, 2012 at 5:30 AM
    • trekkersdownunder's Profile Photo

Everest base camp trek Nov 2012

by trekkersdownunder Online Now Jun 5, 2012 at 9:53 PM

planning to trek everest basecamp in this Nov with a 4 members group. trip is goinged to be planned independently but will hire a guide and a porter. Need few advises in hiring a guide and porter.
      1. Noted the price per guide / porter is between15-20/day. do we hv to keep any deposits in advance /do we hv to pay for the whole trek at the beginning or do we pay them daily or after the trek
      2. when it says20/day does it normally includes the trekking permit for guide/porter , National park entry feee , air fair to Lukla and thier food and accomodation through our the trek
      3. Does anyone hv an idea of the average cost for trekking permit , part entry and air fair for guides / porters
      4. Any recomondations for good standard type hotels in Kathmandu for the price lower than30/night for a couple .
      5. One person can speak Hindi in our group, Do the nepalese speaks in Hindi or do they understand hindi

thanks a lot
      cheers
      Anoma

21 Answers Mar 4, 2013 at 3:55 AM
    • saronginourbackpacks's Profile Photo

Trekking from Jiri to Everest Base Camp/ Kala Patthar

by saronginourbackpacks Online Now Mar 4, 2012 at 8:08 AM

Hi Guys,

We're planning to do the trek from Jiri to EBC and hopefully all the way to Kala Patthar. We have no idea on how to go about this so if you guys could help us out we would greatly appreciate it. :)

1. Is May a good time to do the trek?
      2. Can anyone recommend a reputable company in Kathmandu where we can get a guide? And roughly how much the total cost of hiring a guide per day.
      3. Usually how long would it take to do the entire trek and how does the usual itinerary look like?

Thank you in advance for all your help. :)

Cheers!

8 Answers May 8, 2012 at 5:56 AM
    • JessicaRowe's Profile Photo

Adventure Pilgrims Trekking Pty Ltd

by JessicaRowe Online Now Dec 11, 2011 at 4:54 AM

Hi, I'm interested in booking a 14 day EBC trek with Adventure Pilgrims Trekking. I would like some feedback on this tour company. Has onyone used them and can you recommend?

Thanks.

Jess

6 Answers Dec 13, 2011 at 12:00 PM
    • Hike from Lukla to Base camp then into Tibet

by preston1981 Online Now Nov 26, 2011 at 6:38 PM

Hello all!
      I am planning the EBC trek in February and had a couple of questions I was hoping you could help me out with.
      1. Is it possible to start in Lukla and end on the Tibet side. (I'm American and hold and active Chinese Visa/diplomatic passport), if so, approximately how long would this take for an experienced hiker. Do you have any suggestions or recommendations.
      2. How is the weather and crowd in February?

7 Answers Jan 30, 2012 at 1:54 AM
    • Medicine Kit required for Unaided EBC trek

by maltosee Online Now Mar 30, 2011 at 1:16 AM

Friends

We are a group of 6 folks from Bangalore looking forward to an EBC trek in 25 days. Being an unaided trek we want to take extra precautions against medical emergencies. Apart from the medical insurance we'd love to have a fortified medical kit. I have listed a comprehensive list of personal medicines. Would love to have feedback from wiser and more experienced members. Would also be obliged if members can advise on dosage for specific medicines if important.

Bandage Wraps, Band aids, antiseptic cream.
      Fever – Paracetamol
      Pain Killer
      Cough Syrup
      Stomach Problems – Antacids
      Gardia (stomach infection) – Flagyl or Most effective is Tiniba (tinidazole) 2000 mg (4x500mg) taken at once
      Travelers diarrhea – Imodium;
      Ciprofloxacin for typhoid and severe dysentery. (Ciprofloxacin 500mg 2/day for 7d, before food) (Many people are immuned to CIPRO; can alternatively carry - Azothromycin 3x500mg (500mg/day)
      Typhoid Vaccine – as a precaution
      Water purification – Iodine, Lugol Solution (tastes horrible)
      Altitude Sickness - Diamox
      Rehydration sachets –
      Hand Sanitizers
      Sun Block/ Lip Balm/ Vaseline/ or any other cream for winter blisters.

17 Answers Apr 5, 2011 at 12:07 PM