Mount Everest Travel Answers

change location
Paulyp25's Profile Photo

Cheaper booking in Kathmadu?

by Paulyp25 Online Now Sep 28, 2012 at 5:48 AM

Hi guys,

I'm just after a little advice on a trip to everest base camp.

Me and my bro are planning a 12 day trek in late april/ early may 2013. After the trip we are travelling onwards through asia and australia so like a lot of travellers we are trying to keep the costs down. In my experiences of travelling so far I have always found it less costly to book a tour with a local travel agent when you arrive at the destination. So I was wondering if we should wait until we arrive in kathmandu and book the trek there for a better price. Does any one know the rough cost of a 12 day trek to EBC including all costs (flight to lukla etc) when booked in kathandu?

Any info would be great. Thanks!

Paul

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • into-thin-air's Profile Photo

Re: Cheaper booking in Kathmadu?

by into-thin-air Online Now Sep 28, 2012 at 8:43 AM

No Problem

Package prices including your food, accommodation (3 meals per day but Excluding bar bills and extra snacks), trekking staff including their food and accommodation, and insurance, All permits but no flights is around55 per person per day

Personally I would keep my own food and accommodation costs separate for that of any staff I took and therefore Nor opt for a package – By doing this I am in charge of where I stay and where, when and what I eat – But costs work out more or less the same whichever option you choose, If anything packages tend to be slightly more expensive.

So to organise it the other way just add up your own choices of trekking staff from the following prices

Trekkers KTM – Lukla flights are around140 each way
    Nepali Trekking staff KTM – Lukla flights are around55 each way
    Licenced Guide is around25 per day including his food an accommodation as well as insurance
    Porter/Guide is around20 per day including his food an accommodation as well as insurance
    Porter is around15 / 18 per day including his food an accommodation as well as insurance
    Sagarmatha national park is around37.50
    TIMS ($20 if you organise this in advance through an agent)

This will work out a Lot cheaper than joining a group + you can walk at your own pace, stay where you want and eat where, what and when you want.

For an agent to organise your trek, I recommend, HMA in Thamel, Nirmal the owner is a Great Guy and hires his Staff out at very fair prices from a pool of trusted and well vetted people, I have used his services for 9 trips to Nepal over the last 18 years and can give Nirmal the very best of recommendations
    His contact details are on the travelogue entitled A Very Important Decision on my Nepal Page
    Just drop him a line outlining your proposed trek and travel dates and he will email you with an idea of price.

I Hope that helps but if you need more info then drop me a line
    Happy Travels
    Rob

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Paulyp25's Profile Photo

Re: Cheaper booking in Kathmadu?

by Paulyp25 Online Now Oct 4, 2012 at 7:30 AM

Thanks for all the information Rob, I guess there's pro's and con's for both options. Me and my bro have little experience of trekking and I think we'd probably feel more at ease in a group and of course its a great way to meet new people. I've read your blog about HMA and you speak very highly of Nirmal. I'll certainly drop him an email soon and discuss what options there are available.

Thanks again,

Paul

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Mount Everest