Mount Everest Travel Answers

change location

Everest walk from Lukla to Base Camp Unaided Items Required for Sleeping/Resting.

by normskiandpeach Online Now Jan 8, 2011 at 3:04 AM

Everest walk from Lukla to Base Camp Unaided Items Required for Sleeping/Resting.

We have made the decision to Fly from Kathmandu to Lukla, we will then walk unaided to Everest Base Camp. We are aware of the acclimatisation issues with the walk to EBC and really appreciate all the input and help so far. You have made it so much easier for us to get to our destination to fulfil our dreams.

Can anyone recommend the following items please as we are now in the process of purchasing the following necessary items:

Tent ?
Sleeping bag ?
Sleeping mat?
Sleeping bag liner ?

On behalf of my girlfriend and I, we would like to thank you all again on all your input and help so far. You won’t believe how confused we were with all the data online/books until we came on this forum.

Thank you so much again.

Quote & Answer
10 Answers
  • earthflyer's Profile Photo

Re: Everest walk from Lukla to Base Camp Unaided Items Required for Sleeping/Resting.

by earthflyer Online Now Jan 8, 2011 at 4:10 AM

Get a minus zero sleeping bag you most defiantly feel the cold at night when above 4000m Don't think a sleeping bag liner will do much for you, you both will be sleeping with all your gear on to keep warm including fleeces and jackets.

Sleeping mats will help stop feeling the cold ground and bumps.

Don't forget you will need room for 2 weeks of food and water to carry, get as much as you can in Kathmandu. when you have started your trek from Lukla, Namche bazaar will be the last place you can top up on from their take any opertunity you see where you can get warm food and drinks.

The route is very busy so make sure you have a good quality tent not a cheap one, you proberly find that accommodation along the route is all booked up but you may get lucky but don't bank on it.

Good luck.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Everest walk from Lukla to Base Camp Unaided Items Required for Sleeping/Resting.

by normskiandpeach Online Now Jan 8, 2011 at 4:26 AM

Thank you for the quick response. We are actually looking for specific models and specific suggestions for a Tent, Sleeping Bag, Sleeping Bag Liner and Sleeping Mat.

Have you been to EBC before?

Thanks again.

Re: Everest walk from Lukla to Base Camp Unaided Items Required for Sleeping/Resting.

by earthflyer Online Now Jan 8, 2011 at 6:36 AM

Yes, I did a 17 day version of the trek back in 2005 where we went the long way round and took in Rengo Pass and Gokyo Peak and crossed the width of a glacier before we got to reach the summit of Kala Phattar at 5550m. The Views where amazing, much better going to the top of Kala Phattar then to Everest BaseCamp, not much to see from their because you are right under Everest, But if you travelling by yourselfs then you can do both.

I joined 3 others a on a small organised tour which I searched around for in Kathmandu when I arrived their, lucky my hotel I was staying at has a travel agency and they had an American couple who where looking 2 others to join them, so i jumped on and later a swiss lad joined as well. You can say we had it easy but no way was it, very exhusting and altitude sickness came in a couple of times. Do expect snow I had about a foot fall of snow overnight at about 5000m and make sure you have some shades otherwise you will suther from snowblindness.

The camping gear we had on tour was no different from what you see in any camping store in UK but I would go for a good brand like North Face, My sleeping bag I brought in Bangkok and was from a North Face shop, it was a little expensive but worth it and much thicker than I had brought before so whatever you get make sure it is for minus zero. Their are alot of shops selling hiking gear in Kathmandu and Pokhara and they buy stuff from travellers when they have no more use for it so a lot of what you see is from european or american stores. I don't know much about models of tents but I saw a lot of dome tents as for brands and model numbers I didn't take much notice, all I can say is stick to a brand that is in the mid-price range and up, don't bother with the cheap ones.

by earthflyer Online Now Jan 8, 2011 at 6:38 AM

If you want some more advice send e-mail to Into-thin-air he has a lot of info as well.

• Re: Everest walk from Lukla to Base Camp Unaided Items Required for Sleeping/Resting.

by normskiandpeach Online Now Jan 8, 2011 at 6:48 AM

Thanks again and appreciate the info. Obviously as your aware there is a big range from "Get a minus zero sleeping bag" from -0 right up to extreme conditions.

What we are looking for is a recommended sleeping bag, brand name or mdel no, a specific liner on recommendation(which I think would be advantageous as it will add further warmth but more importantly be more hygenic), a specific tent (again model name or no) and a specific mat.

Thanks again.

by earthflyer Online Now Jan 8, 2011 at 7:03 AM

try getting touch with Into-thin-air maybe he can help you out a bit more or go to your nearest camping store and get some advice.

The kind of tent I had their was nothing special about it and as long your sleeping bag is a minus zero you will be fine as for the extreme minus zero bags sounds like it's for some-one who treks much higher than 5530m a professional mountain climber. you will do ok with a minus Zero bag and decent priced tent.

• into-thin-air's Profile Photo

by into-thin-air Online Now Jan 8, 2011 at 11:00 AM

With buying your gear a lot depends on how much use for it you will have in the future – If you think this will be the first of several treks then you should buy decent brands, My own sleeping bag is a 3 seasons Snug-Pack rated at about –15 comfort.
    But I wonder why you think you will need a tent ?? Camping isn’t necessary when trekking EBC and the only places that you are allowed to camp are in the yards of the teahouses – So there is little to gain in comparison with all the extra weight that you have to carry.
    Again, A sleeping mat isn’t necessary either – I packed a Thema-Rest all the way around AC on my first Nepal trek and didn’t have to use it once – The only time I carried it since was when trekking Upper Mustang which is a camping trek.

Liners for your sleeping bag are a good idea, Depending on the rating you go for with your sleeping bag will dictate what sort of liner you opt for – If you go for a sleeping bag with a betetr temperature rating then a locally made silk liner will suffice, if the sleeping bag you go for has a poorer rating then you could opt for a polar-tech liner, but you will be better buying a better quality, better rated sleeping bag in the long run.

Adequately rated sleeping bags are available for hire in Kathmandu for less than1 per day – So if you think that this might be a one off trekking experience then this might well be a betetr option for you – I recommend hiring gear out from a shop called Yak Mountain - See my shopping tips for more details

I hope that helps a little but If you need more info then feel free to drop me a line

Happy Travels

Rob

• ghalegaun's Profile Photo

by ghalegaun Online Now Jan 11, 2011 at 2:19 AM

Sleeping Bag and sleeping Bag liner

by saaam Online Now Jan 15, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Quick question for you... how soon are you planning on making this trip? I am leaving in a week for Nepal and just decided that I will probably trekking a peak in the Khumbu region, so will be hiking to EBC to start my trek. If you're going in the next month or so, maybe I'll see you out there! As far as a sleeping mat goes, Thermarest has a very compact mat called the NeoAir which has an 'R' value fairly equivalent to other mid-model mats out there. Sleeping bags: the two company's that have always stood out are Marmot and MontBell, they are listed by most as the best in the industry as far as a down bag goes. Both companies will have bags ranging from 0 to -30C, if you're looking for a bag that you can use on other travels/trips, I would go for something close to a -10C.

Cheers

• Saagar's Profile Photo

by Saagar Online Now Jan 22, 2011 at 10:41 AM

Carry as little as you can on this trek, spend your energy looking around rather than looking at your toes, fully loaded. However, I would consider a good and warm sleeping bag indispensible. With a thermarest I could sleep most places. With an outside liner for your sleeping bag you could also easily sleep outside. I normally bring a silk liner for use in Nepal, however a fleece liner would probably be good in the cold. I would not have cared to bring a tent at all, but stayed in tea houses and lodges. The cheap lodges are also some of the oldest and most traditional, suffering from the new investments in more stylish cottages that take their guests away.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Mount Everest