Mount Everest Travel Answers

change location

everest base camp

by stevesg Online Now Mar 14, 2009 at 3:57 AM

my dream is to wlak to ebc what fitness level should i get my self to ?
iam 45
play golf twice a week carry own clubs
drink beer regular
dont smoke

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • into-thin-air's Profile Photo

Re: everest base camp

by into-thin-air Online Now Mar 14, 2009 at 2:48 PM

I would say that the fitter you get yourself, the more you will enjoy your trek, having said that, I don’t mean go mad !! Just get into the habit of walking, maybe start of with a few day walks of around 10 /15 miles, then build up to weekends walking 2 or 3 days back to back. You will then get used to carrying your pack, try and include a few hills and you will soon start to feel the benefits.
    You don’t say whether you are planning the relatively short walk from Lukla - EBC –Lukla, or if you are planning to walk in from Jiri ? Also, if you have a few extra days then I would Highly Recommend the side trip to Gokyo.
    Browse the tips section of my Nepal pages for more hints like getting to the trail heads, packing lists, accommodation and restaurant tips, then if you need further questions answered please feel free to drop me a line.
    Good Luck
    Rob

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • ricky52's Profile Photo

by ricky52 Online Now Mar 14, 2009 at 5:49 PM

Play golf four times a week and carry everybody's clubs :o)
    Enjoy your trip.

• Kakapo2's Profile Photo

by Kakapo2 Online Now Mar 15, 2009 at 2:06 PM

Good recommendations so far. I seriously do not consider strolling along golf courses and carrying your own clubs the appropriate preparation for getting into thin air and uphill permanently. Or are the bunkers at your golf course very steep?

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Mount Everest