Mount Everest Travel Answers

change location

EBC trek from jiri to everest basecamp

by Michael73 Online Now Sep 24, 2008 at 1:14 AM

Hi,

I'm going te nepal next month. I am planning a trek from Jiri to EBC. I've got 24 days for the whole trek. Is that realistic? I not prefer to fly to Lukla.
At which part of the trek companion trekkers are necessary and a smart thing to do for safety issues?
Thanx for any comments, Mike

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • into-thin-air's Profile Photo

Re: EBC trek from jiri to everest basecamp

by into-thin-air Online Now Sep 25, 2008 at 1:57 PM

I trekked Jiri – EBC – then the roundabout route to Gokyo (Not over Cho La) and flew out of Lukla in 28 days, we took loads of time so your timescale is fine.
    I’m not sure what you mean by which part of the trek companion trekkers are necessary ?? It is never a great idea to trek alone, just in case you run onto problems, have an accident or the like, but the route in from Jiri is still reasonably popular so you should be able to hook up with someone on the trail as long as you are trekking in the main season.
    Good Luck
    Rob

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Ron2100's Profile Photo

Re: EBC trek from jiri to everest basecamp

by Ron2100 Online Now Sep 30, 2008 at 2:57 PM

Hi Mike,

Ron here....first thing is I would definitely suggest having a guide. I did my trek to Gokyo (not far from EBC) in 17 days so your time line is sufficient for the journey. As was mentioned in the other reply, safety should be considered. Traveling alone in the Himalayas is not a good idea. A simple sprained ankle could be a serious issue if you are 5,6 or 7 days walk from medical aid. If you have the budget, rescue insurance would be a consideration. In a worst case scenario a chopper ride could cost in the range of2000.
    I found having a guide provided me the opportunity to enjoy the scenery and it gave me some peace of mind knowing I was looked after. All of the dealings with the accommodations, meals and at that time moaists (they are still active with there ‘donation’ program) was taken care of by my guide. I am sure you will have a great time. Take lots of film or if you have a digital camera take lots of batteries and memory. Also be sure your currency is in small denominations…10, 20,50 and 100 rupee bills. People in the countryside do not have a lot of money to change 500 and 1000 bills. Next time I visit I will take a GPS with me. I always like to know exactly where I am and it is good to monitor the elevation. Maps can be purchased in Thamel if you want to track your progress along the trail. Be watchfull of the effects of altitude sickness. The effects vary from person to person. If you are like me I did not have any previous experience with altitude and I did have some trouble sleeping above 4000m.

Hope these tips are useful for you,

Have a great trip!

Ron
    Ontario, Canada

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Mount Everest