Mount Everest Travel Answers

change location

Advice on treking to base camp going from nepal

by Keno74 Online Now Sep 14, 2008 at 3:17 PM

Hi folks, thanks for reading this and hopefully lending some good advice.
I will be heading Katmandu in feb of 09 and would like to trek up to the base camp of everest, im hoping to be staying in Thamel. Do i have to use a tourist type agency in order to negotiate this trek or can it be done with the help of some friendly locals? Do i need a special visa like the one needed when treking from the tibetan side.

Thanks for your help in advance and any other advice you may lend

Kindest regards

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • into-thin-air's Profile Photo

Re: Advice on treking to base camp going from nepal

by into-thin-air Online Now Sep 16, 2008 at 5:37 AM

All you need in the way of Permits before leaving Kathmandu is a TIMS, then you pay your park entrance fee on entering the national park ½ days trek out of Lukla or about 6/7 days if trekking in from Jiri.
    If you are doing the trek independently then you don’t need to use a travel agency for anything, you can get a Lukla flight on-line or buy the Jiri bus ticket at the bus station and pick up your own TIMS (Although it might well be more convenient for you to organise both through a Reputable travel agent).
    Good Luck
    Rob

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Ron2100's Profile Photo

Re: Advice on treking to base camp going from nepal

by Ron2100 Online Now Sep 30, 2008 at 4:29 PM

Hello Keno74

From my experience in Nepal whether you go with a trekking guide or a 'friendly local' it will still cost you a fee. So, my best advice would be to go with an experienced guide. If you choose to locate a guide yourself I am sure you will have no trouble as there are many companies to choose from in the Thamel area. Or, if you like I can recommend someone to you who I know personally. If you prefer you can email me offline at threerocks@1000island.net for some of my personal experiences in this beautiful country.

Regards,

Ron Hawboldt
    Ontario, Canada

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Mount Everest