Mount Everest Travel Answers

change location

Everest base camp, January?

by middens Online Now Oct 28, 2007 at 10:17 PM

Hi All,
I am planning to trek to EBC at the beginning of January 2008 and would like any advice/information on the weather conditions and safety of doing this trek at this time of year.
Many Thanks
Marc

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • into-thin-air's Profile Photo

Re: Everest base camp, January?

by into-thin-air Online Now Oct 30, 2007 at 9:03 AM

Hi
    I did the EBC trek setting off in January a number of years ago and it was Great

Set off from Jiri in warm sunshine, The 1st ridge was clear then Lamjura was a bit of a mess – snow waist deep descending to Jumblasi, Then clear in the valley bottom and more snow crossing Karakola but not as deep, Then heading up the Dhud Kosi was a bit rough with so much snow on the suspension bridges that I didn’t know if they would take my additional weight – but they did ;-), Very Slippery going up to Namche but then walked out of the snow above Tangbosche and then clear all the way to Kala Patar – Unbelievable but TRUE !!!!!
    Hardly Any other trekkers on the route but on my return after a side trip to Gokyo, Namche was clear and trekkers were heading up the upper Khumba like ants !!
    I have written a few ideas of what to see and do in Nepal along with some pics on
    My Nepal page
    Please see the Tips section at the bottom of the page
    You might find them useful
    I hope that helps a little, feel free to drop me a line if you need further info
    Happy Travels
    Rob

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Everest base camp, January?

by sanjayghimire Online Now Nov 14, 2007 at 1:35 AM

Hi,
    EBC trek in the month of January is a bit cold with some areas with some snow and always a chance of Snow in any given day.
    It can be approached from the Jiri side as well as the Lukla side.
    Itinerary in details

Day 01 : Arrival in Kathmandu & Transfer to hotel

Day 02 : Full day sightseeing tour in Kathmandu.

Day 03 : A day long drive to Jiri - 200 km east of Kathmandu. On the way we have very beautiful scenery. Stay in a lodge in Jiri.

Day 04 : Trek from Jiri to Bhandar.

Day 05 : Trek from Bhandar to Sele.

Day 06 : Trek from Sele to Junbesi over Taksindhu pass.

Day 07 : Trek from Junbesi to Nuntala.

Day 08 : Trek from Nuntala to Khari Khola.

Day 09 : Trek from Kharikhola to Surke.

Day 10 : Trek from Surke to Phakding.

Day 11 : Trek from Phakding to Namche, 3450m. 6 hrs.

Day 12 : Rest day in Namache for acclimatization, visit the surroundings and monasteries in Namche Bazzar.

Day 13 : Trek from Namche to Tyangboche, 3840 m. - the famous and biggest monastery of this region. 5-6 hrs.

Day 14 : Trek from Tyangboche to Pangboche (Upper) 3980 m. Visit the old Pangboche Monastery - 3 hrs walking. Rest of the day for acclimatization.

Day 15 : Trek from Pangboche to Dingboche and Pheriche, 4200 m.5-6 hrs.

Day 16 : Trek from Pheriche to Lobuche, 4900 m. 5-6 hrs.

Day 17 : Early morning trek from Lobuche to Gorekshep and climb Kalapather, 5545m. and walk down to Gorekshep, 5100m.

Day 18 : Excursion to Everest Base Camp and walk down to Pheriche. 7 hrs.

Day 19 : Trek back to Namche. 7 hrs.

Day 20 : Trek back to Lukla. 7 hrs. Last day with trekking crew.

Day 21 : Early morning fly to Kathmandu and transfer to hotel. Rest of the day free.

Day 22 : Free day with a possibility of an optional tour. Evening Nepali dinner with cultural program.

Day 23 : Free until departure. Transfer to airport for onwards flight.

Day 03 : Early morning fly to Lukla, 2850m. Trek 3 hrs to Phakding,
    2630 m.

Day 04 : Trek from Phakding to Namche, 3440m. 6 hrs.

Day 05 : Rest day in Namache for acclimatization, visit the surroundings and monasteries in Namche Bazzar.

Day 06 : Trek from Namche to Tyangboche, 3840 m. - the famous and biggest monastery of this region. 5-6 hrs.

Day 07 : Trek from Tyangboche to Pangboche (Upper) 3980 m. Visit the old Pangboche Monastery - 3 hrs walking. Rest of the day for acclimatization.

Day 08 : Trek from Pangboche to Dingboche and Pheriche, 4200 m. 5-6 hrs.

Day 09 : Trek from Pheriche to Lobuche, 4900 m. 5-6 hrs.

Day 10 : Early morning trek from Lobuche to Gorekshep and climb Kalapather, 5545m. and walk down to Gorekshep, 5100m.

Day 11 : Excursion to Everest Base Camp and walk down to Pheriche. 7 hrs.

Day 12 : Trek back to Namche. 7 hrs.

Day 13 : Trek back to Lukla. 7 hrs. Last day with trekking crew.

Day 14 : Early morning fly to Kathmandu and transfer to hotel. Rest of the day free.

Thanks

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Mount Everest