Mount Everest Travel Answers

change location
roganjoshd's Profile Photo

do they sell t-shirts when you get there?

by roganjoshd Online Now Feb 24, 2007 at 2:06 AM

hiyas,

is the Everest Base Camp trek all that its cracked up to be?

I get the feeling that yes, its a great experience and a rewarding trek, but at the end of the day people are just hiking there for the sake of being able to say they have!
and as a result the route and path taken is over used and over crowded, although I can understand that this has a beneficial impact to the local communities and sherpas (but probably not the environment)

I'd like to hear from people who have done the EBC trek to gauge their opinions as I'm planning a trip there in May this year and am undecided about doing the EBC trek or not (I only have about 2.5 weeks free for Nepal)

cheers :)

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • canuck11's Profile Photo

RE: do they sell t-shirts when you get there?

by canuck11 Online Now Mar 16, 2007 at 1:36 AM

I did EBC in November at it was great. It's more the feeling of accomplishment once you reach base camp, as well as amazing views on the way. If you go just to say you've been to base camp you'll miss so much on the way. I personally thought the hike was most beautiful up to Tengboche Monestary below the treeline.

I don't feel there really is much of an environmental impact as everyone pretty much sticks on the trails. It's a very popular route but most trekkers appreciate and respect the locals and the environment so it is a positive experience. If you want isolation though, this isn't the hike for you as it is busy.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Mount Everest