Mount Everest Travel Answers

change location
Chukphx's Profile Photo

Little Help

by Chukphx Online Now Feb 11, 2007 at 2:25 PM

Ok I am traveling to Mumbai (Bombay) in March of this year 07. I would very much like to see Everest. I have no desire to get to base camp but I will be entering Nepal from the Indian side and just want to see Mt. Everest and take some pics. Anybody know what a good route is? I will be traveling alone unfortunately but have two weeks to see India/Nepal. I have never traveled in India or Nepal before. I'm still not sure how I plan to get up there from Mumbai but if anybody has any advice please let me know. I'm thinking Mumbai to Agra and then on up to Nepal but possibly from Varanasi b/c I hope to see both of those Indian cities. So train or plane or if I can get to the monastery near Everest would be happy. So if anyone has done anything like this let me know again I'll be alone and safety is an issue.

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Saagar's Profile Photo

RE: Little Help

by Saagar Online Now Feb 12, 2007 at 3:57 AM

Give us some info about yourself and it'll be easier to respond...
    Two weeks for all that you list is too little for safety. To trek safely to see Everest from a good vantage point would take about a week from Kathmandu (fly to Lukla, trek up to points a day or so above Namche Nazaar. Or mountain flight from KTM (I have some tips posted on these sort of things). You can fly Mumbai-KTM direct; or via Delhi. Delhi-Agra 3 hrs by h.speed train, Agra-Varanasi some 10 hours by train I suppose. From Varanasi you will need to fly to Kathmandu as the overland travel is somewhat time consuming and cumbersome - taking your limited time into consideration.
    If I were you, I'd have flown to KTM from Mumba, done the Everest bit, flown to Varanasi, and flown from Varanasi to Mumbai if that is your departure point also. If flying out from Delhi, you could take in Agra on a train journey to Delhi.
    Enjoy your trip!
    Olav

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • roganjoshd's Profile Photo

by roganjoshd Online Now Feb 23, 2007 at 8:59 AM

hi there

I've never travelled India or Nepal but I've been researching a trip for May this year, and I've just booked flights in and out of Mumbai from London

within India Air Deccan appear to be a good cheap air line
    a 2 hour flight from Delhi to Mumbai for just £24!)
    www.airdeccan.com

or flights from Delhi to Kathmandu cost about £70 each way with Jet Airways

you can only book these in India or with an Indian credit card, which I'm guessing you dont have

good luck and safe journeys
    josh

• roganjoshd's Profile Photo

by roganjoshd Online Now Feb 23, 2007 at 9:01 AM

also, I am considering either of these treks/tours with Intrepid Travel

you might be interested in their "Nepal Adventure" one, its for 2 weeks and is quite varied
    http://www.intrepidtravel.com/trips/NXA

or base camp:
    http://www.intrepidtravel.com/trips/NXE

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Mount Everest