Mount Everest Travel Answers

change location
LonMontel's Profile Photo

Tibet/Nepal/Everest help

by LonMontel Online Now May 8, 2006 at 4:46 PM

I am thinking about backpacking thru this region in the autumn. My goal is to enter Nepal from China (or vice versa, and this is signficant because of possible border issues?), and along the way, I want to see the best views of Mt. Everest that are allowed with the least amount of trekking possible, and I want to view it FROM THE GROUND.

So... any suggestions? Where might I go for these views? How long a hike would I be looking at? Is it better/easier to enter China from Nepal, or Nepal from China?

Thank you in advance,
Brian

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • oddyeti's Profile Photo

RE: Tibet/Nepal/Everest help

by oddyeti Online Now May 9, 2006 at 1:20 AM

Ok.....

Well, you can do it either ways.....china - Tibet - Nepal or the other way around. Depend entirely on where you are travelling from...if from China come into Nepal via Tibet....

You will get views of everest without even trekking when you come to Nepal from Lhasa in tibet...however, if you do want to reach base camp, you will have to trek about 4 days on route at high altitude...it should not be a problem as you will have acclimatized in Lhasa itself....

It takes about 3 days to reach Kathmandu from Lhasa and en route from about Tingri, you will be seeing Mt. Everest.

Of course, since you are travelling in Autumn, the best views of Everest you will get from Nepal, on the Everest Region....I do not know what sort of budgets you are travelling with, but the flight to Lukla and back is about USD 196.- and then add trekking costs to a minimum of 9-11 days to see the Mt. Everest from a 5390m pass in the Everest Region......rest assured this will take your breath away.....can send you pics of this if you want....but I tell you, you will be better off seeing it on your own.....

Then, you would have seen Mt. Everest from both sides....

Of course, the lazy way to see Mt. Everest is also there....when you opt for the mountain flight in kathmandu...costs USD 125 and this takes you on a one hour trip and shows you the mountain range from Annapurna to Mt. Everest.

enjoy!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Pitarow's Profile Photo

RE: Tibet/Nepal/Everest help

by Pitarow Online Now Jun 27, 2006 at 8:46 PM

I will travelling through the area in late August. I am entering tibet from Chengdu China. Hostels there will help you organize a permit to travel onto tibet. From tibet you can travel onwards to Nepal but that requires a special permit, but I hear that it is easy to get one. As for everest I have no idea but I heard it can be arranged.

Good luck

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Mount Everest