Mount Everest Travel Answers

change location
tremendopunto's Profile Photo

short cut trekking

by tremendopunto Online Now Mar 11, 2006 at 6:12 AM

Hello to every Nepal-Lover!

A breathtaking look at the Everest seems to be a must once you make it to Nepal. But I wont have the time to do a 21day trekking trip to the base camp. I read it is possible to reach Tengboche Monastery in three days from Tukla.
Has anybody experienced this part? Is the view good enough/worth it?

Just from looking at the map it seems that Dingboche or Periche is the same distance like Tengboche, but offers a better view on the mountains.
Can you compare these places or recommend a better place considering the time-view-trade-off?

Thanks a lot!
Chris

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • SLLiew's Profile Photo

RE: short cut trekking

by SLLiew Online Now Mar 11, 2006 at 6:30 AM

I took the real short cut - Everest small airplane flight. Got very near Mount Everest, everyone was given turn to take picture inside the cockpit. It was a long time ago. Had problem confirming ticket seat until I went to a 5 star hotel and book through the travel agent there.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • oddyeti's Profile Photo

RE: short cut trekking

by oddyeti Online Now Mar 11, 2006 at 9:57 PM

If you are going only for a view...

You can get views of Everest from....

----just below Namche Bazaar, as you are going up a steep uphill...and near a resting spot on a corner....spectacular view of Mt. Everest. This is day two

----once you reach Namche - day two - trek higher over the village into the Army camp...there is a view point there, where Amadablam and Everest can be seen....another spectacular view

-----Next day trek via Syangboche...you will get incredible views...and yes, you can reach Tyangboche on day three...for more views...

-----If you do want the most spectacular view though, you got to take some more time...I highly recommend the Renjo-La pass....which is off the beaten track....and reaches 5390m...just above Gokyo...best done from the other side...so you take a diversion from Namche towards Thame, and walk up that valley to Renjo-La support Lodge at 4400m and then do the high pass (which incidentally is one of the few places from where you can see Mt. Everest higher than Nuptse or Lotse...due to the line of sight...

But this is not that short cut and takes about 11 days in total...

Of course the mountain flight option is still there for a quick view...or even flying from Bangkok and sitting on the right side of the plane....easy huh?

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Mount Everest