Mount Everest Travel Answers

change location

Burning Lady Waste....

by fuz_kitten Online Now Sep 1, 2005 at 8:56 AM

Hi,
I have a friend that's trekking to Base Camp in October and I promised to try and find a solution to her problem and its not one for the guys I'm afraid...

She's travelling with a group of men and going to find herself on her period at some point on the trip. She's been told that she's can't wear tampons due to TSS at that altitude and that she's going to have to carry her 'waste' with her the whole way. Mmmm mmm. The alternative is to burn towels, but after a little experiment this doesn't work, you're just left with a mess of melted plastic!

Has anyone got any better ideas than self sealing sandwich bags? :)

Cheers
Charlie

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • doodybee's Profile Photo

RE: Burning Lady Waste....

by doodybee Online Now Sep 1, 2005 at 9:01 AM

hi there
    tell your friend to ask her doctor for some pills to that will delay her period, my daughter had the same prpblem during an activity holiday and that seemed to be an acceptable solution

cheers
    Julie

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • travelmad478's Profile Photo

RE: RE: Burning Lady Waste....

by travelmad478 Online Now Sep 1, 2005 at 3:42 PM

I had the same thought. Basically, if you take the correct dosage of birth control pills throughout the trip, you can avoid getting a period until you stop taking them. In fact, there is a prescription birth control pill called Seasonale that results in women getting periods only 3-4x per year. This is completely safe and any GP or gynecologist will be able to provide the prescription.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Mount Everest