Mount Everest Travel Answers

change location

equipment hire from Kathmandu

by mp_hike Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 2:45 AM

i am preparing to climb base camp in april/may 2013. I am not sure if it worth buying new gear or can i hire from Kathmandu? I need down jacket, crampons, ice axe, walking poles, gaiters, waterproof snow pants and jackets etc, how good or well stocked are the local shops in Kathmandu? appreciate feed back from people who have been there

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • into-thin-air's Profile Photo

Re: equipment hire from Kathmandu

by into-thin-air Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 2:59 AM

No Problem You will be able to either hire or buy most of your trekking gear without any hassles once you arrive in Nepal. The only exceptions to this are good boots (Preferably you should have your own well broken in) and technical underwear For more info as well as a recommendation of a great little trekking gear shop please take a look at my Nepal Shopping Tips at Nepal Shopping Tips by into-thin-air Good Luck and Happy Safe Trekking Rob

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • davidjo's Profile Photo

Re: equipment hire from Kathmandu

by davidjo Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 3:35 AM

As Rob said everything is available in Kathmandu and i also recommend a very good pair of boots that have been worn in as this is probably the most important thing on your trek---look after your feet---that is your mode of transport. I would also buy thermal underwear for the trek. If you are trekking to base camp you will not need an ice axe or crampons. Gaiters--probably not necessary either.

1 member found this helpful

• Re: equipment hire from Kathmandu

by mp_hike Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 8:32 PM

thanks for your responses. I am already carrying my own boots. We are planning to climb either Mera or Lobuche peak and this is where we will need the crampons, ice axe. Anybody done these?

Be the first to rate this answer!

• Re: equipment hire from Kathmandu

by sindabad Online Now Nov 7, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Hello.. me planning to do EBC in may 2013..starting from jiri. while returnng..i will fly from lukla..

Be the first to rate this answer!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Mount Everest