Moscow Travel Answers

change location
penny_g's Profile Photo

Moscow Oblast (Подмосковье) - 1 day trips from Moscow

by penny_g Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Can anyone recommend a good place (rather nature, lake or small picturesque village) to visit in the area around Moscow. In my country, Bulgaria, people who have been to Moscow say that the surround area (Подмосковье - Podmoskovye) is amazing with its lakes, forests, the typical Russian churches, pine trees, etc.

I would be very thankful if you can tell me the name of the area and how to get there most easily, preferably by public transport.

Many thanks in advance!

ps. I promise to post pictures afterwards for you to enjoy!

Quote & Answer
15 Answers
  • Fluffy_bunny's Profile Photo

Re: Moscow Oblast (Подмосковье) - 1 day trips from Moscow

by Fluffy_bunny Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 5:21 PM

The easy choice is Suzdal. About 100KM for downtown Moscow, there are plenty of pretty churches, monasteries and excellent meed beer.

Close to Suzdal, Vladimir is not as charming, but has a cool "old town"

Sergiev Posad, 50km from the centre, is well-visited for its famous Russian Orthodox monastery

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • kris-t's Profile Photo

by kris-t Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Hi,

I will recommend Sergiyev Posad too, or Zvenigorod, or even Kolomenskoye which is technically Moscow but has everything you named.

• kris-t's Profile Photo

by kris-t Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 6:14 PM

Sorry, forgot about Istra with the New Jerusalem Monastery... And Kolomna with two monasteries. There are 1360 churches in Moscow oblast' include 31 Monasteries.

I'll send you "how to get there" tips a bit later

2 members found this helpful

• Re: Moscow Oblast (Подмосковье) - 1 day trips from Moscow

by bugulma Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 11:49 PM

In my opinion, the trip to Suzdal' or Vladimir is not a good idea for the day-trip but is rather better for the weekend trip.
    Agree with previous reports that Sergiyev Posad could be interesting to see well-known monastery (I guess it would be better to use regional train to avoid traffic jam, the duration is 1h 20 minutes and the price is EUR 6.60 return ticket). Arkhangel'skoye is beautiful residence of Yusupov family (there is park as well as a pond) very close to Moscow that you could get by bus from Tushinskaya metro or by bus from Pavshino regional train station (by the way, close to Arkhangel'skoye there is private technik museum which could be interesting to see).
    As it was said above there is a lot of places with churches, residences and so on. I guess you may choose any direction and you will find smth interesting. it is really long list of places :-)
    besides you may visit well-known parks and residences within Moscow such as Kolomenskoye (Kolomenskaya metro station), Tsaritsino (Tsaritsino or Orekhovo metro station) and Kuskovo (Ryazansky Prospekt metro station).

Kolomna is a bit far from Moscow, 2hours train as a minimum, - maybe it could be better to see it as weekend trip that to see Kolomna and neighbour Zaraysk. Istra has amazing monastery complex but it is under reconstruction (and some plans that it will be finished not earlier than 2016), so it is better to check first before expecting nice views :-)

Zvenigorod has a nice monastery, 1 hour 20 minutes from Moscow, but the station is a bit far from the main sight seeings and then you have to have the bus or to have 20-25 minutes walk.

4 members found this helpful

• Re: Moscow Oblast (Подмосковье) - 1 day trips from Moscow

by bugulma Online Now Mar 25, 2013 at 12:06 AM

and just some ideas for you, you may check the views in internet:
    Nikolo-Ugreshsky Monastery (bus #470 from Kuz'minki metro station)
    Bykovo, residence and church (regional train from Kazansky railway station, duration 50 minutes; but keep in mind that the residence and the church is in a distance from the station. you need a good map or maybe you speak Russian, then you may ask the right direction)
    Leninskiye Gorki, residence, park (bus #439 from Domodedovskaya metro station), http://mgorki.net23.net/
    Podol'sk, architecture, and neighbour village Dubrovitsy, residence and orthodox church (regional train from Kursky railway station, 55 minutes-ride)
    Serpukhov, a lot of churches and monasteries (regional train from Kursky railway station, duration 1h45m-1h55m).
    Dmitrov, Kremlin and several streets with old houses (regional train from Savelovsky railway station, duration 1h20m).

I listed well-known and biggest towns or places but as I've said before there are a lot of places around Moscow.
    If you interested in Technik, check Monino and Kubinka as well (military museums).

4 members found this helpful

• Odiseya's Profile Photo

by Odiseya Online Now Mar 27, 2013 at 8:18 AM

During my visit to Moscow in 2011, I visit Sergiyev Posad. Have a safe and fun trip!

Be the first to rate this answer!

• alfa338's Profile Photo

by alfa338 Online Now Apr 3, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Kolomenskaya is a good place - specially with good wheater ;-

In the city you also have Koskovo - like a little castle inside its own park.. Metrostation Danovskaya.

• Muscovite's Profile Photo

by Muscovite Online Now Apr 4, 2013 at 1:01 AM

If you plan a day trip, you will have a bit of a difficulty to manage Suzdal, Kolomna any such remote places, with 2 – 3 hours train alone one-way. And if this is your first time in Moscow, you will spend quite some time trying to figure out which platform to take – that is, if you make it to the right railway station in the first place.
    I would concentrate on old country estates within reach by metro – Kolomenskoye, Kuskovo, Tsaritsyno, Arkhangel'skoye – they are all mentioned above. Look carefully through Moscow tips, you will find quite a lot of information accumulated by VT members.

• penny_g's Profile Photo

by penny_g Online Now Apr 23, 2013 at 2:38 PM

I came back from Moscow and it was really great. Such a huge city with so much to offer. In the end, we opted to go to Peredelkino (a dacha suburb in Moscow Oblast) which has amazing villa houses, once being owned by eminent Russian writers and artists. The church and the monastery area are also worth visiting.

It was a nice surprise that during the train trip there were always musicians entering wagons, performing and expecting some tips afterwards. It was like a mini concert.

Will soon post pictures

by Muscovite Online Now Apr 23, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Good idea!
    One doesn't usually see Peredelkino as a tourist destination, but obviously it should be one

by penny_g Online Now Apr 29, 2013 at 4:17 AM

Dear all,

As promised - few of my photos I took in Moscow: picasaweb.google.com/1059611...

The ones from Peredelkino to follow... as well as my paintings (in my free time, I paint in watercolour ;-)

by Muscovite Online Now Apr 29, 2013 at 6:25 AM

Great pics!
    That one with CANON on top and ‘City Library’ in hardly visible letters – quite remarkable :)

by penny_g Online Now Aug 21, 2013 at 4:19 AM

Friends,

As promised I finally (my fault for being that late) published pictures from Peredelkino. It was amazing there; I strongly recommend it to anyone.

I know that most of you in the northern hemisphere of the earth have a hot weather, right now in the middle of August but I hope that my snowy pictures will make you feel a bit more fresh ;-)

picasaweb.google.com/1059611...

Enjoy and don't hesitate to contact me with any questions or comments on Russian trips.

Best
    Penny_G

by Muscovite Online Now Aug 21, 2013 at 5:06 AM

Been inside any of the writers' homes?

by penny_g Online Now Aug 21, 2013 at 5:29 AM

No, not unfortunately. I couldn't find my way quite well in Peredelkino, although Russian shouldn't be a problem for me. I therefore just made a walk across the dachas and visited the church/monastery area. It was indeed amazing. It was intented to resemble the Kremlin's St. Basil's temple and apparently is just one example of the last years' campaign of the Russian government to revive the Russian Orthodoxy.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Moscow