Morocco Travel Answers

change location

Weather in Morocco in September

by justmettt Online Now Feb 10, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Hello. I'll be travelling to Morocco with 3 other adults for the first time in September. I've read mixed reviews about the weather. I've travelled to Egypt in the past and the heat in Abu Simbel was unbearable. How hot is it in Morocco in September? Is it comfortable or unbearable? We'll be travelling to Fes, Marrakech, Casablanca, Ouarzazate, Efround, Rabat, and Essaouria. Also, what are the "must see" sites in these areas? Thanks for any input you may offer.

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • kitsou's Profile Photo

Re: Weather in Morocco in September

by kitsou Online Now Feb 10, 2013 at 8:31 PM

September is beautiful in Morocco. Only the interior stays warm longer. Essaouria is my favorite place in Morocco for it's layback atmosphere and beach. Rabat has a beautiful historic old city in shades of white and blue. Fes was a culture shock of winding, crowded narrow paths in the old medina. I didn`t like Marrakech where the locals can be very agressive towards tourists. Watch out for pickpockets in the main square.You should make a point of including the Roman ruins outside Meknes and the pinetree forests of the interior at Efrane. You`re in for a `treat` navigating the Atlas mountains on switchback roads from the coast to Ouarzazate. Include the valley near Tinehir, for amazing rock formations. What about getting into the Sahara at Merzouga.....

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Weather in Morocco in September

by amankapoor Online Now Feb 11, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Oh really then i think i should pay a visit to Morocco in September too. But it will be a great concern of staying and touring for me because i will go Morocco for the 1st time.

• angiebabe's Profile Photo

by angiebabe Online Now Feb 11, 2013 at 12:45 AM

Kitsou has lovingly said it all!

but the weather...
    Usually Sept is lovely but..its still summer and the fact that there are majorly high mountains running through the country affects the weather so generalising rather than predicting is the norm....Ive spent a lot of time being in Morocco at various times and various places through the year for the past 9 years - this Sept I had 5 weeks and it was boiling - very hot then suddenly when we got to Boumalne it rained for 24 hours and half of southern morocco got pretty cold - i was in my cardigan for about a week through our travels between Dades gorge and Tafraoute - which is amazing for September - while connections were still boiling over at Er RAchidia and Merzouga.

but the beauty of being in Morocco during summer are the areas that act as respite areas - on the coast of course and up in the mountains are much cooler so its lovely to go and stay at Telouet or in the Dades or Todra gorges - Ait BEnhaddou can be cooler than OUarzazate but much more interesting anywhere and its where we often stay when we are enroute from Tafraoute or Marrakech to the dsert.
    even out in the desert is generally cooler at night - in the Ziz valley in the palmeraie - even up at Midelt its cooler than down at Er Rachidia.
    Id recommend you stay up in the Dades rather than at Ouarzazate. or somewhere lovely like hotel Xaluca at Boumalne with a lovely pool. and at Zouala in the palmeraie can be a interesing recommended place to stay enroute to Fes.

I would usually say just half a day is enough to have in Fez and then maybe half a day in Meknes and then stay at Moulay Idriss just a few kms from the roman ruins of Volubilis - Id recommend the guesthouse El Kasaba in Moulay Idriss to stay at if possible rather than Meknes.

Erfoud you probably really mean Merzouga/the desert - ERfoud is just a town at the intersection of roads coming from the north and east 20mins from Rissani. Rissani is the main major town near the desert - from here the road is tar sealed and takes half an hour into the desert and the main desert town of Merzouga. There are many hotels spread out along the dunes from access roads that come off the tar sealed road half way from Rissani to Merzouga. any of the hotels in the desert can organise you a night in the desert by camel if youd like.

Casa has a few old buildings in Mauresque style that can be interesting to see otherwise its main sight and site is the amazing Hassan mosque that takes tourists through in language groups through the day daily - from 2pm on Fridays.

There are tips in my and other vters travel pages of what to see etc in these locations that Id welcome you to have a look at and then come back for any further questions.

the drive through Southern Morocco is really the most interesting as you are getting into the areas of the BErber who were in Morocco before the Arabs who tend to live in the north and in the cities

• Maria1979's Profile Photo

by Maria1979 Online Now Apr 27, 2013 at 12:17 PM

In September, the weather is fine though a little bit warm at midday. Still it is bearable. The hottest period is July and August chiefly in the desert. It is cooler In the coast and the mountains, The place to visit dépends on how many days you will stay. It is not Wise rushing out from a place to another spending the majority of the time in the car if you are running out of time. The most Worth being seen places are Fez, Meknes, the atlas, the desert, the gorges, Aitbnehaddou Kasbah, Marrakesh and Essaouira. I have been to all these places in addition to Rabat and Casablanca. The only interesting thing is the huge mosque. If you want to know more about timing and the places, I would suggest to have a look at the tour company I had booked my trip with (www.tickettomorocco.com) Their itineraries are well organised adn they talk about places in détails. Have a wonderful trip

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Morocco Travel Answer Locations