Morocco Travel Answers

change location
starstudio's Profile Photo

Morocco 7 days

by starstudio Online Now Feb 3, 2013 at 5:33 AM

Dear friends, travelers and locals.. this is my first question, will be some more next weeks:)

With my wife planing a 7days tour the attractions of Morocco early the May.

We are looking for "Dont miss points", some off the beaten paths, the places with unique moments of local life.

Can you recommented itineraries with final destination Casablanca ?

We can travel either by hired guide or by public transportation. What is your opinion?

Thanks in advance, giving me an answer, i'll ask you more !!

Hi to all from Athens Greece, that you are everybody welcome :)

Quote & Answer
11 Answers
  • starstudio's Profile Photo

Re: Morocco 7 days

by starstudio Online Now Feb 3, 2013 at 5:55 AM

thanks a lot mate .. i'll have these notes in plan!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Pollydg's Profile Photo

by Pollydg Online Now Feb 3, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Taxis are cheap and the Atlas mountains are beautiful to visit

• windcity's Profile Photo

by windcity Online Now Feb 3, 2013 at 2:31 PM

If this is your first time in Morocco you will find unique moments from the time you arrive. Does your trip start in Cassablanca ? if so take the train to Marrakech, The heart of Morocco, from there you can explore the Atlas mountains and the Atlantic coast and Essaouira. This should be enough to fill 7 days. You will not need a guide just a good guide book. Public transport is very good but to make the most of your time it would be best to hire a car. You can stop and start wherever you please.

Morocco 7 days

by starstudio Online Now Feb 6, 2013 at 1:16 AM

Dear Polly Wind and Benny, thanks for your time.
    I already make a study about your info's, and this is my very first plan.

we are thinking of traveling as follows:
    arrive by air to Casablanca and hire a car to drive to Esaouira > Marakesh > Fez >Chefchaouen.
    these are the places we definetely wish to visit.

Please suggest if you think any other place along this way is worth seeing/visiting/ or overnight.

How much is the driving distance from place to place? Is road signing adequate? do we need to have gps with us,exept from maps?

How much do we need to estimate for gas consumption?

As i say this is first draft, any ideas are welcome.

Thanks again, Kostas

by Pollydg Online Now Feb 6, 2013 at 1:45 AM

The Souks market in Marrakech is an experience not to be missed, if only for the photo opportunities. Just make sure that when people direct you to the Souks Market and point down a deserted alley (as they often do) that you don't take any notice :-(

by Pollydg Online Now Feb 6, 2013 at 1:46 AM

The Souks market in Marrakech is an experience not to be missed, if only for the photo opportunities. Just make sure that when people direct you to the Souks Market and point down a deserted alley (as they often do) that you don't take any notice :-(

• windcity's Profile Photo

by windcity Online Now Feb 6, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Hi,
    It is 400km from Cassablanca to Essaouira, There are 2 routes you could take, the first being the coastal road with stops at Azemmour, ElJadida, Oulidia and Safi. Alternatively you could take the Motorway (toll road) which will be much faster. Fuel costs approximately 8dh per litre for diesel and 10dh for unleaded petrol. It is very important when you rent a car to check the tyres including the spare. Also do not drive over the speed limit, the police hide in bushes and will fine you 700dh for the smallest infraction. Essaouira to Marrakech is 180km, Marrakech to Fes is about 500km and again there are 2 routes, one part coastal and the other directly through the interior. Fes to Chefchaouen is 200km. Major roads are well sign posted, you will not need GPS.
    Hope this helps

• angiebabe's Profile Photo

by angiebabe Online Now Feb 6, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Sorry didnt find your post earlier but of course you have great info already - May is one of the loveliest months to be in Morocco so thats a great start!

I have a few off the beaten path tips amongst my pages as Ive spent the majority of my many trips and time in Morocco over the last 9 years driving around the off the beaten path places.

You dont have a lot of time but you can do a lot with 7 days with a car as already said also...and the advantage of a car of course is getting to off the beaten path places.

Morocco is a very beautiful country with an amazing variety of landscapes and people - some of the road routes are the sights to see in themselves so not just the places to get to being the only joys - freeways in MOrocco have certainly made an enormous difference to being able to get around the country a lot quicker and easier - but certain routes are favourites of mine and doesnt matter how many times ive been on them Im captivated and have my camera ready every time.

I really like the local life on the routes around the Anti Atlas and the stretch of Southern Morocco around the Dades Valley road to the sahara to Er Rachidia but if you are wanting to do Essaouira, Marrakech and Fes then I guess you need to leave the Anti Atlas - to another time perhaps!

but you would have time to do Essaouira - via freeway, Marrakech then over Tiznticka to Telouet - this is a very special area that was once the realm of the Glaoui who ruled Southern Morocco and still have their mud brick palace and castles around to see - and the new tar sealed road between Telouet and Ait Benhaddou which was once the old caravan route where salt was traded and taken on down to the sub sahara - and along the Dades Valley road taking either a trip up the Dades gorge or the Todra gorge - to the sahara desert for a night around Merzouga - Rissani is a historic desert town worth a couple of hours as well
    and then drive up through the beautiful Ziz valley that takes you on up through Er Rachidia, Midelt and on up to FEz.

you will see a lot of local life driving this way - Berber villages - people out in very different garments to what is worn over in the cities and west coast region - and a lot people out with donkeys etc.

Moulay Idriss is a town that has in the last couple of years been opened to foreigners being allowed to stay overnight and a few kms away is the roman city of Volubilis with intact mosaics still which is a wonderful visit - half a day at Meknes is i reckon enough - half a day in Fez can be enough too and you could stay overnight at Moulay Idriss before heading north up to the Rif area of lovely blue and white Chefchaouen as already mentioned and Tetouan - which has a wonderful small museum with mosaics from the roman town of Lixus which is near Larache on the coast north of Rabat.

and then easy from there to get back to Casa. If you did get time a visit to Asilah and a couple of hours in Tangier would top off your trip but I think your itinerary up to the Rif will have kept you busy and happy enough.

if you did want to have a driver guide I have some good people i can put you in touch with. also hotels along the way who know us and this is always a good thing in Morocco as Moroccans really like the state of who knows who and connections to make friends with.

All the best for a lovely time in Morocco!

by starstudio Online Now Feb 7, 2013 at 5:38 AM

Thank you girls ...
    i will have to read your info's more detailed and perhaps i will get back to you with more questions!

Was more helpful than i expected.
    This is why VT is my travel guide around the world. I hope someday i can help you too !
    Kostas

by starstudio Online Now Feb 18, 2013 at 6:24 AM

ok .. i will have that in mind :)

• Maria1979's Profile Photo

by Maria1979 Online Now Apr 27, 2013 at 12:39 PM

You have made the best choice in choosing May to visit Morocco. The weather is great though a little bit warm during the day and cool at night. I think 7 days is not quiet enough to visit so many places;hence, you should be selective. Driving in Morocco sounds adventurous. Even in crowdy area, close to Jamaa Lafna as a case in point, people drive so fast. The only thing. I did not like there. It wat a bit scary. Since there is a train station in the airport, I propose that you take the train from there to Marrakesh.or a train to the downtown of Casablanca then take Supratour to Essaouira. You can find all info in the site www.oncf.ma . After you can book a private tour from Marrakech to desert via the high atlas with an overnight in the Midway. Later from desert to Fez, volubilis, Meknes. Then Casablanca. . If you want to know more about timing and the places, I would suggest to have a look at the tour company I had booked my trip with (www.tickettomorocco.com) Their itineraries are well organised. I was highly satisfied with their services. I thought of using public transpot too, but I realized it is much time consuming. I am happy to make the right choice. Have a wonderful trip

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Morocco Travel Answer Locations