Morocco Travel Answers

change location
Dan30's Profile Photo

AUS dollars in Morocco

by Dan30 Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Does anybody know what is reason behind that gov of morocco will not exchange Aus Dollars. I would love to hear your point of view.

In Egypt another African country AUS Dollars works and you can exchang it,

Quote & Answer
12 Answers
  • cgf's Profile Photo

Re: AUS dollars in Morocco

by cgf Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 3:25 PM

ok, Marocco and Egypt are both in Africa, so what?

It could be because there are not a lot of Australians going there and/or they have no business with Australia and that is also why Australia does not have any embassy/consulate in Marocco, for any need the Canadian diplomatic mission provides consular assistance to Australians.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • mccalpin's Profile Photo

by mccalpin Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Hmmm, are you sure that this is current information? I see dozens of websites that show the exchanges rates, and the web references that say that the AUS dollar cannot be exchanged tend to be at least 4 years old. That is, your information may be true, it just bothers me that I am having a hard time confirming it in a few seconds...

The Moroccan Embassy for Australia appears to have a website; try sending them a note using their contact page at moroccoembassy.org.au/?q=con...">moroccoembassy.org.au/?q=con...

Bill

• cgf's Profile Photo

by cgf Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 4:10 PM

this is official site of  Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade

dfat.gov.au/missions/countri...

• Dan30's Profile Photo

by Dan30 Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Indeed this interesting topic I raised, I say to all VT members your comments are welcome, please feel free to express your self.

• mccalpin's Profile Photo

by mccalpin Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Is there anything on that website about why you can't exchange Australian dollars in Morocco? I didn't see it...

Bill

• Dan30's Profile Photo

by Dan30 Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Here is List foreign currency you can exchanged but Aus dollars not one of them.

Central Bank of Morocco List foreign currency you can exchange

bkam.ma/wps/portal/net/kcxml...">bkam.ma/wps/portal/net/kcxml...

To all VT members your comments points of view are welcome: again feel free to express your self.

• Re: AUS dollars in Morocco

by Kuskiwi Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Morocco has very few 'ties' with the Oceania countries. NZ is the same however credit and debit cards work and I have seen traders exchange AUD but very much in their favour. As Moroccan dirhams are a 'closed' currency it doesn't really make sense for them to manage multiple currency trading options for the limited number of occasions they will be used. Euros seem to be the currency of choice for many who prefer to carry cash.

• angiebabe's Profile Photo

by angiebabe Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Hi Ive been travelling back and forth between London and MOrocco frequently for the past 9 years. As already said there are generally no problems with using Australian or NZ credit cards for purchases nor cash cards from the ATMs - actually at times using my Australian credit card for purchases Ive got better exchange rates.

One of my trips to Morocco after returning from NZ with a stash of NZD I found that NZD and AUD cant be exchanged in Morocco. As already said theres no problems with the major currencies of Euro, £ and USD.

Transferring money from my Australian bank account to Moroccan bank accounts still has to be done via the UK to be converted into £ and then into dirhams.

I guess if you want precise answers you probably need to find someone dealing in international finance but that Egypt takes AUD is probably politics or demand - interestingly Australians that I know who have wanted to marry Moroccans have to do all their legalities in Egypt.

1 member found this helpful

• Dan30's Profile Photo

by Dan30 Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 3:46 PM

I feel still  as moroco welcomes more International tourist from all over the world, maybe time add Aus Dollars on their list. What are thoughs of this idea VT Members? All VT comments are welcome:

• Re: AUS dollars in Morocco

by Kuskiwi Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 1:11 AM

I would seriously doubt that it is in the foreseeable future. Aust is not a major trading partner, nor does it have significant migrants moving to Aust and repatriating funds to make all the necessary legislation viable. Until the Dirham becomes a trading currency it is not a simple matter to do this.

• angiebabe's Profile Photo

by angiebabe Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 5:34 AM

Australians setting off on big trips around the world generally just get in and change their AUD into £, USD or Euro before they leave home...no big deal really. and most experienced travellers go for using cards and some still travellers cheques for obtaining funds in their required currency as they go along to keep the amount of cash in any currency to just an emergency supply on hand.
    If I was a Peruvian travelling to Morocco I wouldnt expect or be upset if I couldnt change pesos in Morocco - Id change to a major currency before I left home

• Dan30's Profile Photo

by Dan30 Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Thank you all, for your great points of view.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Morocco Travel Answer Locations