Morocco Travel Answers

change location
MandeeJC's Profile Photo

Couples in Morocco

by MandeeJC Online Now Feb 18, 2013 at 8:39 PM

According to the Canadian travel advisory site, hotels reserve the right to refuse unmarried couples access to the same hotel room forcing them to purchase 2 rooms. It says that tourists are usually exempt from this. Has anyone experienced this?

Quote & Answer
25 Answers
  • xymmot's Profile Photo

Re: Couples in Morocco

by xymmot Online Now Feb 18, 2013 at 10:09 PM

some are that way and you must respect that culture and custom cheers tommy x

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Feb 18, 2013 at 10:44 PM

people with foreign passport are excused

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo

by cachaseiro Online Now Feb 18, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Not a problem. I tarvelled through Morocco with a female friend i was not married to and we had double rooms in several locations including some pretty offbeat locations. You might come across the odd conservative person on this issue but you would have to be quite unlucky to run in to this problem. We were never asked if we were married and there was never an eyebrow raised.

1 member found this helpful

• windcity's Profile Photo

by windcity Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 1:29 AM

This rule applies to muslims only, If either of you is a muslim you will need to provide a marriage certificate.

• Donna_in_India's Profile Photo

by Donna_in_India Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 5:48 AM

It's not likely that you would be asked and who travels with a marriage certificate anyway? :-) If you feel very uncomfortable why don't you buy a wedding band for a couple of dollars?

Although tourists tend to have a little leniency afforded to them, it's good to be aware of the customs in other cultures. But even if something odd happens, you always have a good story. My husband was questioned by the police (on the street in Marrakesh) about being with me. They thought he was Moroccan/Muslim and since I was obviously a western tourist, that was a problem.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Go and enjoy!

2 members found this helpful

• MandeeJC's Profile Photo

by MandeeJC Online Now Feb 19, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Thank you all for your advice. Cultural sensitivity is something that can often be lost with North Americans. I want to ensure that when I travel to a foreign country that I am respectful of their customs and beliefs, just as I would hope others would be if they were to visit my home country. Purchasing wedding bands is a funny idea! ... But I don't think we'll be doing that! Ha!

• Re: Couples in Morocco

by Cutie314 Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Wow, I hope this does not happen. What about a mixed gender group of 5 in the same room? Less or more frowned upon? I am all for cultural sensitivity in public but don't quite get it in the context of a private hotel room.

by Donna_in_India Online Now Feb 25, 2013 at 3:58 PM

When I was searching for hotels the following was actually listed on hotel booking websites:

Please note: • Moroccan citizens (either male or female) are not permitted to share a room with a foreign citizen if not married. • Unmarried Moroccan couples are not permitted to share a room. • Homosexuality is prohibited, although same-sex travellers can share a room with twin beds (this should be specified at the time of booking to avoid confusion).

With a mixed gender group of 5, I'd definitely suggest calling/emailing and confirming so you don't have any hassles when you arrive.

• Dan30's Profile Photo

by Dan30 Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Morocco is a Muslim and Islamic kingdom. You’re not allowed to stay as unmarried couple this rules of Islam.

But morocco is open and peaceful kingdom and when it comes to western tourist they don’t ask does question. If you was a western and morocco girl then they will ask) because she a local girl.

Have fun in morocco enjoy holiday) please come back to VT give us your feed back when finished your holiday.

Donna if was Black American or Black British maybe police would think he American or Arab) maybe he would be questioned also.

by Donna_in_India Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 5:28 PM

He's Indian Dan so I assume they thought he was Arab.

• angiebabe's Profile Photo

by angiebabe Online Now Feb 27, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Yes Dan anyone that looks potentially Moroccan - and Morocco is a melting pot of colours and people groups as over the years many peoples have come up from the sub-sahara - can be stopped and asked to produce their ID if they are seen with someone who is clearly not Moroccan. This is a stance from the Dept of National Security and the Tourist police.

• Dan30's Profile Photo

by Dan30 Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 4:05 PM

But if tourist police are just looking after at white tourist A Babe that is not far) they should look after all International tourists. I agree all Police should ask ID from all tourists regardless of colour.

Even an Iranian American woman was asked regarding her ethnicity at Cairo airport she wrote about trip even though she born in America.

What about Asian American who can not get his car services in Arabian Gulf because car company though his was the driver) that was his car) when is White American came then helped him.

Funny story I read was about this Philippines American diplomatic who was going into a meeting with High ranking Gov Official in Middle East) Ministry Staff did not let him in because they though he was low rank worker.

I was told by African American woman be held at Morocco airport because they though she was African from Mother Africa) when she showed her American passport – then Airport staff apology and stated you welcome to Morocco American lady.

The issue not about colour ethnicity but lack Education north Africa and Middle East.

• Dan30's Profile Photo

by Dan30 Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Donna I hope next visit morocco - if police do stop you) they should ask for both ID not single one that will be fair.

But out many African countries) As i said Morocco is open and peaceful Kingdom.

by angiebabe Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 6:03 AM

Dan there is quite a bit to understanding Morocco but they are a very security conscious state - its part of their role in National Security to check the safety of tourists (they have the right to put a Moroccan in jail for 3 months unless the law has recently changed for being a faux guide and therefore being a potential threat to a visitor to Morocco)...
    and its a law or regulation of the country for a Moroccan to carry their id with them at all times.
    They can be checked quite lawfully - and if an obvious white person is walking with a person that looks like a Moroccan they are allowed to stop and check the ID of that Moroccan looking person.

There is also an issue with Africans coming up from other countries and using Morocco as a route into Europe. They are allowed to check IDs to check whos who...

Therefore a white person or obvious Japanese person for example not having their ID checked does not mean they are not being looked after...there needs to be a purpose in the checking of IDs and for checks of IDs of Moroccan looking people the authoritories do have their rationales.

Considering Morocco is an Islamic country, and the serious issues of the ARab spring involving other countries of the Arab world, I am very grateful for the King, people and systems in place that maintain the country in stability and safety and liberal policies for both citizens and visitors

by windcity Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 7:52 AM

We too are grateful to the king for our safety, without these measures who knows what might happen.

by Donna_in_India Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Sometimes precautions can really be a headache (for instance, the constant checks in India at hotels, malls, grocery stores, etc.) but I have no issues with obliging when it is for my own safety. Sometimes as was the case with my husband and I in Morocco you end up with a good travel story. :-)

• Dan30's Profile Photo

by Dan30 Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 5:12 PM

All i can add Morocco is more safer then streets of many western countries and cities. To be fair King is do good job in very hard region. I feel in time - things will change and chnage for better. As tourist we visit we leave and morocco benfit from may tourist visiting each year.

Thanks all VT memebers for your comments.

by Cutie314 Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 1:58 PM

To get back on topic, I just came back from Morocco with my boyfriend. We shared rooms in 5 different hotels. I have blue eyes and fair skin but someone asked my boyfriend if he was of Moroccan descent. Not a single hotel gave us any problems. We did not wear wedding bands and when we filled out the forms, our last names were obviously different. Maybe we were just lucky, but it honestly never felt like a problem.

by angiebabe Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Great to hear you got on okay!But as other posters have said here its the issue of being Moroccan or not
    ..its against the law for any non-married Moroccan to share a room in an obvious sexual context. The police can raid the hotel...particularly if they were given a tipoff and the hotelier would be in quite a bit of trouble. There are many hotels in Morocco that will still allow Moroccans and non-Moroccans stay together tho..but they tend to be the topend ones or hotels in locations less likely to be caught or raided and the hotelier is happy about allowing it...and having a backup plan to wrangle something with any necessary documentation Or 2 rooms have to be paid for.

The Moroccans who swing with foreigners on a regular basis know which ones to go to...

by hottea Online Now Aug 26, 2013 at 8:33 AM

I am a bit curious, i would like to go on holiday to morocco with my boyfriend. We are not married but i am british muslim and he is white not particular relgion. I need to know if this will pose a problem

• cachaseiro's Profile Photo

by cachaseiro Online Now Aug 26, 2013 at 9:57 AM

I stayed in this riad which was run by a young morrocoan wwoman and her blond german husband and i doubt they would give you any hassle ad the place is really nice:

www.riad-johenna.com

by angiebabe Online Now Aug 26, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Hi Hottea, welcome to VT and nice to see you here in our Morocco forum.
    the previous replies here in this post have pointed out that if theres any issues its because one of the couple is Moroccan.
    If neither of you are travelling on Moroccan passports then hotels generally do not impose Moroccan law on unmarried foreigners/tourists....unless possibly you clearly display that you are a muslim woman.

by asiankhan Online Now Nov 17, 2013 at 12:18 PM

HI im a muslim women an me an my parter/boyfriend want to go to morocco on holiday do you think we will be able to go without facing any trouble of marriage an sharing a room. Im from the uk

• irishlady2014's Profile Photo

by irishlady2014 Online Now Jan 9, 2014 at 7:27 AM

I am in the same position I am a catholic (non Muslim) Irish female and will be looking to travel to Morocco with a male (also non Muslim) who is not a boyfriend just a friend. Will this be a problem when going to the Ryiad/Hotel?? I have been to Tunisia with family and I wonder is Morocco the same customs? I cant wait to go and explore this beautiful country :)

by windcity Online Now Jan 9, 2014 at 7:40 AM

There will not be an issue, You will have a great time, just relax and enjoy.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Morocco Travel Answer Locations