Monument Valley State Park Travel Answers

change location
WKVenture's Profile Photo

April 2011 Motorcycle trip

by WKVenture Online Now Jan 5, 2011 at 1:22 PM

Several of us will be touring GC, MV, Bryce, Zion.....on motorcycles in mid to late April 2011. I know that weather is unpredictable, but what general conditions,(ie: temperature) can we expect

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • Re: April 2011 Motorcycle trip

by osoeno Online Now Jan 5, 2011 at 2:32 PM

It will probably be pretty nice, a little on the cool side, it might be rainy-snowy; it will definitely be windy.

I think the lows will be between 25 and 35 and the highs between 55 and 75.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • goodfish's Profile Photo

Re: April 2011 Motorcycle trip

by goodfish Online Now Jan 5, 2011 at 4:48 PM

Hi - you're going to some of my very favorite places!

Here is some climate info from the NPS for Bryce, Zion, and the GC. I could have given you the figures but I think you'll want the park links for looking up other info:

nps.gov/zion/planyourvisit/w...

nps.gov/brca/planyourvisit/w...

nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/w...

Do be aware that the North Rim of the GC does not officially open until mid-May. It's possible that the road may be open but could still be closed for snow. As it's a long way from anywhere, I'd call the NPS before venturing out there. You'll need to bring everything you need as nothing (lodge, restaurant, etc) will be open - make sure you have plenty of gas. See this link:

nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/h...

No real problems with the South Rim as it's 1000 feet lower so stays warmer.

And here's some general weather for Monument Valley:

go-utah.com/Monument-Valley/...

Do be aware that the tribal park closes rather early in winter/spring. Also know that the state of Arizona does NOT observe daylight savings time but the Navajo Nation DOES. This means if DST has kicked in by the time you go, the time at the park will be one hour AHEAD of the rest of the state.

Time zone: Mountain Standard Time October to April. Daylight Saving Time is observed by the Navajo Nation from April to October.

navajonationparks.org/htm/mo...

Hope this helps!

• Segolily's Profile Photo

by Segolily Online Now Jan 5, 2011 at 9:24 PM

If the weather is good you'll be in shirt sleeves during the day and jackets at night.
    If the weather is bad you'll be in heavy parkas during the day and inside at night.

Great time, usually, to tour.

• Kakapo2's Profile Photo

by Kakapo2 Online Now Jan 6, 2011 at 12:25 PM

I have been in the region several times at exactly this time. Once Monument Valley was cut off by snow, and there was also a lot of snow at Grand Canyon but at least it was accessible. We had to wade through the snow along the South Rim though.

On another trip we had snow on the way to Sedona. When we left Flaggstaff, they got heavy snow and traffic chaos which even made it into the TV news. There was no way through to the Grand Canyon.

Finally we got into snow in the elevations around Death Valley and at Bryce Canyon. At Bryce we were snowed in in the evening but the snow melted the next day.

• imamtngirl's Profile Photo

by imamtngirl Online Now Mar 13, 2011 at 9:54 PM

April is my fav time to go to Zion NP. Summers are to freakin hot!!! April is coolish at night but really nice in the day. We love the hikes and I seriously do not know how people do them in the summer when it's ridiculously hot. There is a chance that it will rain but we only ever had it storm on us once and we've been there a few times in April.

I highly recommend the hikes. There are 4-5 shortish easy ones that won't take up all your time. The Riverside Walk at the end of the Scenic Road is beautiful. It gives you a taste of the hiking Narrows without actually going into the river. The Emerald Pools trail is also an easy one and is beautiful. I recommend lunch at the Park Lodge.

If you are interested in an amazing hike that takes you to the top of the world you should really go on the Angels Landing hike. It's tougher and if you have a fear of heights parts of it will make your stomach turn over but it's worth it. I hate heights but the view from the top is so worth facing your fear.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines