Monument Valley State Park Travel Answers

change location
fairlight's Profile Photo

hours of operation

by fairlight Online Now Feb 26, 2010 at 2:48 PM

Hello,

I'm planning to visit Monument Valley as a part of my driving trip this April (Las Vegas-Zion-Bryce-Page-Monument Valley-Page-Las Vegas).I have two questions:

How early and late is the scenic drive open? The official website of the Valley says that Visitor's center is open 7am to 7pm, and the Scenic drive is open from 9am to 4:30pm. Would I be able to access the Scenic drive from 4:30pm to 7pm? If I pay my entrance fee before 4:30pm, would I be able to stay in the Valley til 7pm?

My second question is how is the road from Page to Monument Valley. Would it be ok to drive it after dark?(I'm ok driving at night, but I would rather not do it on the mountainous road. I'm thinking about going to Page after the Valley "closes", as it seems there is really not much to do in the area in the evening.

Thank you

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • goodfish's Profile Photo

Re: hours of operation

by goodfish Online Now Feb 27, 2010 at 5:10 AM

Good question. I assume, because you can still enter the park at , say, 4:20 or so, that you have some time to make it around the road. I believe you have to be out of there by dusk. I can't find any mention of people saying they were chased off the road at a particular time but you could call the park and ask how long you have to make the drive if entering just before the gate closes.

A note about the scenic road: it is dirt and not an easy or fast one to drive. You will encounter lots and lots of ruts (and dust) so it'll be a slow go.

Another thing to remember is that the reservation operates on Navajo Standard time - a different time standard than the rest of of Arizona. From March to November, they're an hour AHEAD of the rest of the state. That said, 4:30 PM in Arizona is 5:30 PM on the Monument Valley reservation lands. It's not unusual to find these time differences on reservation lands throughout the Southwest.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Segolily's Profile Photo

Re: hours of operation

by Segolily Online Now Feb 27, 2010 at 7:03 PM

The time question is a good one. There is an entrance booth that I'm sure is not manned after hours, but that gets you in to the park, not the valley road. As far as I can remember there was no barrier or gate down to the scenic drive- though of course things could have changed. So I am unsure how they could enforce that closing time.

I have a feeling what they really don't want is anyone down there after dark, so you'll have to come back up when they want you to. There is still a nice view of the famous Mittens from the visitors area and I'm sure you could stay there as long as you want.

The drive back to Page is high desert, no mountains. What you could have trouble with however is animals, both wild and domesticated. So don't go so fast you wouldn't be able to see and react to anything on the road.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines